Out of action for a while. Accident!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UK Rich

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was snatching and lowering the top out of a Dougals Fir yesterday and got pretty smashed up.

Fairly bog standard day for me - climb and kill trees.

I had been let down by my regular groundsman, so had to get someone else in... He checked up ok, I'd heard some fairly good things about this guy, but we had a communication breakdown. I wanted the guy to let the top run down on the lowering rope and slow it up, not just stop it.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/X-R3zhMNSwI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Still, 3 broken ribs and a few weeks TLC. Sure I'll bounce back.

Be carefull out there guys. Know and trust who you work with.

Rich.

I'd say you were REAL lucky. Switching people you work with is as dangerous as working solo. Take it easy and you'll be back up in the tops in no time.

Painful as those ribs are right now, that was a blessed near miss of something worse. Heal well! :)

Yep, communication breakdown, it always the same....glad you ok. I've broken ribs---they aren't fun. Cough, sneeze, sniffle, sit up, sit down, roll over, breath, laugh....every one of them hurts to do.

Why would he think you wanted it to stop suddenly?

Ouch indeed! Great reflexes as I think you managed to balance yourself out & not get thrown/slung out.
Hopefully the ribs are all & you wont feel the effects of whiplash as it looked pretty harsh on the old neck.

Rest up - as others have said, been there/done that with broken ribs - too bad there's not much that can help 'em heal besides time.

That is a hefty top to drop. Even with it slowed you will still have the impact of it hitting the tree. Iam not telling you how to do your job but more limbs off would of helped. Good thing you werent thrown from the tree.

Last edited:
Yep, communication breakdown, it always the same....glad you ok. I've broken ribs---they aren't fun. Cough, sneeze, sniffle, sit up, sit down, roll over, breath, laugh....every one of them hurts to do.

Why would he think you wanted it to stop suddenly?

Oh man - Sneezing! I thought I'd been shot in the heart! I've broken the 3 from under my left tit down.

That is a hefty top to drop. Even with it slowed you will still have the impact of it hitting the tree. Iam not telling you how to do your job but more limbs off would of helped. Good thing you werent thrown from the tree.

I normally get to hold on with both hands and just ride it out, but the top was pulled (orange rope) too soon. I'd only just turned the saw off. I had a flip line and my main line choked around the tree so knew I wasn't going to go too far. :msp_biggrin:

Glad you're still here to post !
Never tell the wife ''It could have been worse'' .

She's been a nurse for 17 years and is used to patching me up every now and then... She puts up with a lot!

That looked rough, hope you heal up soon man. This would make a nice video to show to new groundies

Hope you mend up quick.
That video is an excellent teaching tool that all groundies need to view.

Latest posts

Back