out of all your saws which one

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can have my 272xp when you pry it from my cold dead fingers.

but on a serious note, starts second pull every time cold. tough as nails and sounds like a demon after a woods port and muf mod. my first pro saw, and made me a husky lover.

Once you get past a certain number you lose that individual attachment to them...

Sawtruck2_zps02c71b92.jpg

The law if marginal utility....if one of mine has to go it would be either my 08 or ms650

I have been building my line up of saws for some years and sometimes add or delete one. They vary from the 018C to the MS660 (well, ok the 070)
If I had to cut the line up I could do with less saws but one saw that I would never part with is the 026. This is a saw that my dad and I purchased when we had a tree down in the yard that was bigger than what my little Skilsaw chainsaw could handle. We bought a Stihl 026 with and 18" bar. (I picked and he paid) and in the years since I have used that saw to cut heaps of wood. It is still in great running shape and has required very little work in the 20+ years I've had it. I felled 7 trees with it this week. My dad died a dozen years ago and that saw is a connection between me and him. So although I have a nicer looking 026, that original one will never be sold.

I have owned around 400 saws and it does not bother me a bit to let any of them go when I have or want to but the 306 I grew up listening to in the woods being ran by my dad will never go for any price. Some of the best memories of my life was with my grandpa, dad and younger brother collecting firewood on those fall days. Grandpa is gone now (which is where I got the 306 from when he couldn't feed the stove anymore). Dad will be gone some day and this old green saw with the memories I think about every time I look at it will still be here.

They can all go for the right price and in the case of some, that'd be up there quite a ways. Some are probably going to get let go here fairly soon anyway. Priorities have changed and I don't cut that much anymore.

If I need the money to support my family....they are all gone.
I have alrerady been there and done it before. I didnt feel regret about it. I usually buy all my new saws on a layaway plan so I can pay what I want to replace what I sold. Maybe not the same model I sold but close enough in my book to do what I want. My family is first in my book. My saws are used to make income for my family and very seldom anything more.

You can have my 272xp when you pry it from my cold dead fingers.

but on a serious note, starts second pull every time cold. tough as nails and sounds like a demon after a woods port and muf mod. my first pro saw, and made me a husky lover.

Im looking forward to trying the 272xp I bought from Randy in the next little bit.

The last to go would be a Echo CS400 muff modded, cuts fast, handles great, LIGHT, starts great and is reasonable. My 044, 385xp, Dolmar 7900, solo 690, rancher 55, efco 156, dolmar 143, efco 152 and even my Echos Cs520 would go first.

I cant think of any saw I have that I wouldnt get rid of. I'm not married to any saw.

Now if and when saws are passed down to me. Those wont go anywhere, neither will the guns. Family stuff stays all else can go.
I have alrerady been there and done it before. I didnt feel regret about it. I usually buy all my new saws on a layaway plan so I can pay what I want to replace what I sold. Maybe not the same model I sold but close enough in my book to do what I want. My family is first in my book. My saws are used to make income for my family and very seldom anything more.
Sorry Rob for you have me confused. You use your saws to make income for your family and seldom anything more, but have no problem selling them off, then buying a new one on a layaway plan. So when you have to sell you income generating saw, and making payment on a layaway plan, wheres the income coming from?

So what you are saying is you have another source of income, and saws are just a little perk?

hamish I dont know who you are talking to since you quoted 2 post. But if any is toward me. Saws are just a side hobby for me. I usually have 20-30 on the shelves ready to go. All for sale and have a price.

Yes I have a another source of real good income. :rock:

hamish I dont know who you are talking to since you quoted 2 post. But if any is toward me. Saws are just a side hobby for me. I usually have 20-30 on the shelves ready to go. All for sale and have a price.

Yes I have a another source of real good income. :rock:
Opps didn;t mean to, wasn't trying to quote you just Rob066!

I have a Stihl 360 with front and rear chainbrake. I think it's a Stihl 360 CS. Love that one, and a Pioneer Farmsaw that never lets me down. Stihl MS 250 is a favorite of mine, also.

Now after reading all posts I would not sell my Stihl 028. It was the very first saw that I bought new. It has never let me down. Besides a few carburetor kits, gas lines and filters, it still has 155 lbs of compression.I have cut ice off roofs, it has been underwater and cut a huge amount of pulp and firewood.Ken
I purchased it new in 1985

I can't imagine a situation where I would not want at least one saw, because the reason I got a saw in the first place was because I could not afford fuel oil when the price tripled during the Arab Oil Embargo. The only way I could afford to keep my wife and daughter (only one of them at that time) warm was to stop by construction sites on the way home from work, throw a set of coveralls over my suit, and cut the wood from the trees they knocked down and throw it into the back of my Pinto Station Wagon. (At the time, pick up trucks were not allowed on NY parkways). Yea, it was a site to see. When things got a little better I purchased logs to cut and split (by hand).

My Stihl 044 was not my first saw, it was the third, but it was the first saw I fell in love with and was the only saw I used for 18 years. I got it on sale from a place that was discontinuing their line of Stihl saws. They did not want to sell the professional saw to a homeowner. When I asked why they replied "because it cuts too fast". I told them that is exactly what I needed, and I got the saw.

The saw got crushed by a tree a couple of years ago so I replaced the tank holder, straightened the handle, unbent the chain cover, rebuilt the carb and replaced the springs on the high and low speed screws. The saw runs line new again and I would hate to part with it. That said I kinda like my new MS 362 C-M, much easier to use ... I think I'll keep them both!

The only one I won't sell is the hand saw my grandfather had. The gas powered ones get changed out like underwear at my place. Just last year I sold 3 288s, a 395, 372xpw, 576AT, and more I'm probably forgetting right now.

It was in the blizzard of "77" Buffalo, New York. I had spent the last 96 hours clearing streets of debris that had fallen from the trees in the storm and the snow kept coming----it was relentless. Faintly, I heard the plea of the ambulance siren carried on the intense winds drawing closer. A tree had fallen in the road only 20yards from me and the fate of that patient pressed on my conscience--- I had to get my saw.:ices_rofl:

Back