Out of commission

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihltheOne

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I tore up my knee and am out of commission for a while and I already have withdrawls from my habit!!! Really a bummer, I feel like an old man...I sure have taken for granted moblilty. I told my wife that I thought I could still cut wood, she explained that I would not be coming back to this house it I did, she sent the message and I recieved it, clearly. So here I are typing instead of a cutting.

Sorry to hear that. Maybe they will come out with a logging game for the WII...:chainsaw:

Wow, sorry to hear that man. I know what your going through, my wife has two torn lig's in the left knee now, painful!:cry:
About the Wii... there interactive, you might have to do everything playing wood cutting that you would do when wood cutting, therefore, that may not be an anternative to the real thing for you, but I sure would love to play, since snow has me shut down!:dizzy:

Sounds like its time for a couple of project saws from Ebay. That will keep you busy and give you new toys to play with once the knee is good.

StihltheOne - Hope you get better soon, something like that you probably have to take it pretty easy for awhile. I have been down one week, kidney stone that has not passed. A trip to the ER last Saturday to figure out what was wrong, now home and taking pain meds, water, and lots of waiting. Kind of going stir crazy in the house, but beats laying in a hospital bed waiting.

I did have time to update the Rim Sprocket on my O28, and posted pictures.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=87869

Get well soon !!!

Update: just passed the stone !! 9:30 pm Saturday !!! Hard to believe that little sucker made me feel that bad for a week.

Last edited:
...I sure have taken for granted moblilty.
We all do. Many things we don't appreciate 'til their gone. I broke my tib/fib and it was almost 1 yr. healing. I slogged 100 yds. through 18" of snow, on crutches, carrying a Hawken, to sit on a log where I had a slim-to-zero chance of seeing a deer, just to get out of the house and do SOMETHING.
Heal up quick.

Sorry to hear that Stihltheone. So did the Doc's say you need surgery or will it heal on its own? All the best!
Dok

I can not get into the ortho doc till thurs, but the MRI report is not good at all. When the general doc looked at it and read the report, she said that it was remarkable that I could walk on it. I said what do you mean walk, I am still working, I detail cars, 10 hrs a day, packing wood and playing with my kids. She just shook her head. I am not saying that it does not hurt, but the incentive plan I have at my shop is that if you work you eat. I guess that the "proper" thing to do would be to sit around and wait for the govt to "bail me out". BS..... get to work!!:cheers:

Sorry to hear about your knee.

It's tough to imagine having to do nothing while it heals, but stick with it and let it heal up 100%. That way you can be more assured that you won't just hurt it again.

A buddy of mine is going in for shoulder surgery soon. If he tries to to anything with that shoulder and buggers it up while it is healing, then that's it - it's a one-shot deal and if he screws it up his shoulder will be buggered for the rest of his life.

aandabooks had a good suggestion - get yourself a couple of project saws to keep you busy and you'll have something else to look forward to when you are healed up!

:cheers:

My wife did both ACL's. Had one fixed. The one that was not sliced and diced is not as strong but has less pain. I had my right knee done. We both have arthritis in both fixed knees. It sucks. Ask a lot of questions first. Lets see the dirt bike and snowmobile got the wife and a run away pallet got me. What got you man? Good luck.

i just had my acl allograph and medial meniscus repair done on jan 7th.

wasnt to bad. I will say when that nerve block wears off 24 hours after surgery thats when the pain sets in. But my pain when away almost 100% on the 5th day. i just started therapy but i still have to wait another week or two before for the meniscus to heal before i can really have at it.

my meniscus was pretty mangled and the acl was even worse. they were able to repair the meniscus which is better long term but more recovery time.

i do heavy labor so works out of the question for 3-4 months. but normal jobs most return in under a month.

O one more thing look up bucket hand tear and pray that you dont have one.
i did and it pretty much adds a month and a half of healing before you can do anything.

good luck and get a second opinion there are many options for both the acl and meniscus and no matter what get the acl done. or plan on getting the meniscus done several more times in the future

ps ya i feel like an old man too im 25 and i feel like this is a little early for this crap.

if you got any more ? i can help i got all sorts of info so just pm me

I sure appreciate all the kind words. I am kinda in limbo now, I actually had a good day today, very little pain and pretty good movement. Maybe the MRI was lying about my knee LOL!! Kinda weird though, I am 40, and have never been really down with anything that did not heal by itself, I guess that I had a pretty darn good run. I am thankfull. It is difficult to get the wood tending done as walking on ice terrifies me!! My wife had been good about picking up my slack though. Cool part is she knows the different kinds of wood and brings in a good mix!! Cool eh? I might could get used to this!! I really rather cutting over every other part, even over the burning. Soooo.... Nah, it has been and always will be my responsibilty to provide heat for my family.

It might be alright medical science can do amazing things. So much improvement even in the last ten years. Best of luck to you,By the way I have plan of moving to Wyoming some day.

Will the ol knee be as good as ever, or will it always be weak do ya think?

if you take care of the acl and meniscus you should be 100% within 6-9 months.(im thinking sooner but this is what doc says) i torn my acl about 4-5 years ago. it only bothered me when i was skiing. so after 4 seasons of 30+ days i had a catastrophic failure. The acl shredded so bad it locked my knee up and also tore my meniscus up real nice.(i refused the sled ride and skied down on one leg. then drove a stick shift home in a snowstorm. yes its the clutch leg.)

it depends on the tear of the meniscus. sometimes they just clip the bad part out and your back on your feet the next day. If they can repair it, thats the best option long term but also has the longest recovery 6-8 weeks.

As far as the acl that wont fix itself. its one hell of a ligament. i think my doc said something about acl can withstand 1500lb of force. So repairing is out of the question. they replace them with either you hamstring or in some case some ligament from the patella. I went with harvesting an acl from a cadaver.
I figured why mess with my body when there donor around.

Andy

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back