Overheated..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SawBrian

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
One of my saws overheated(339xp), so now it runs uneven on idle and power has decreased.
What do I most probably need to do, what is damaged.
Will ring change do it or do I need to get a new piston and cylinder base gasket and rehone cylinder?

Only disassembly will tell, but remove the muffler first and inspect the piston.
Generally, the piston melts and pins the rings down, and most times the cylinder can
be salvaged.

Fish said:
Only disassembly will tell, but remove the muffler first and inspect the piston.
Generally, the piston melts and pins the rings down, and most times the cylinder can
be salvaged.
True. You might need a jug as well, but you will not know for sure until it is taken apart.

Been there, had that experience.

Buy another jug and piston. If one is messed up, the other is as well. During the process, open up the muffler to allow it to run cooler. In all likely hood it was caused by the saw running lean, so you will want to look at that as well.

DirtTroll said:
Been there, had that experience.

Buy another jug and piston. If one is messed up, the other is as well. During the process, open up the muffler to allow it to run cooler. In all likely hood it was caused by the saw running lean, so you will want to look at that as well.
Yep. Lots of times air intake is restricted by a clogged air filter, it runs to rich, we adjust, we adjust, and again and finally we get around to buying the air filter but fail to readjust the mixture and ouch, there you are. I must say though, You can get away with just a piston sometimes.

Latest posts

Back