OWB & firewood questions - new to site

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jaberwky

Jaberwky

ArboristSite Operative
We bought a large rural home 2 years ago and it has a wood boiler for primary heat. The local boiler dealer is also a tree removal guy and I get truckloads of wood delivered each fall; 3-1/2 cord loads of 9' trunks, some 4" spindles and some 36" dia. Species is mixed. Some is seasoned and some not.

I had never run a saw before that first fall, picked up a new MS290 and swapped out for a 20" bar right away. So far so good - I get excited to get out & make some cuts when the sun starts going down early and the air gets cool at night.

My questions are related to paying for the wood and how much I'm going through.

1. When we started, the wood guy charged me $40 a cord delivered. This year it went up to $50. I didn't think this was too bad until I started reading a bunch of the discussions on this site and realize that there are a lot of people out there that are getting theirs for free. However, the advantage for me is that he brings it out with his crane truck and sets it in neat piles on dunnage about 6 feet from my stack. All I have to do is walk outside, fire up the saw, and dump my rounds off the end, then stack them up. I have no heavy equipment (pickup, trailer, etc.) so this works great for me. My OWB has a 20"x30" door so I don't have to split at all.

2. Multiple sources say that for my climate and square footage, they'd expect about 10-12 chord a winter. We have a 1975 era 2 story house (a little over 3000sf). Full exposure - no trees to block wind. The boiler runs 2 recirc lines to 2 furnaces, one up & one down. We keep the thermostat at 72 or less, and while average winter temps are 8 degrees F, we do get at least one two week snap every year with temps -10F or lower. Last year I blasted through my 12 cords between Nov.1 and April 1. This year I'm planning 15 cord.

Even 15 cord at $50 we are less than $1000 for the heating season and propane would cost me three times that easily.

wdchuck

wdchuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
First off, welcome to AS, sounds you'll fit in just fine around here.

Second, $50/cord delivered your way, sounds like Burger King, I'd take that in a minute, and never have to scrounge again, a case of his favorite beverage would help too.

10+ cords:jawdrop:, and you are just heating the house?, sounds like your system needs a tuneup somewhere, my 1850's two story is the same size as yours, uninsulated and only takes 5-6cords of mixed hardwoods.

Some info regarding the brand, size, and pipe insulation, length of runs to house, depth of lines, will help to get you tips.

Glad you like the MS290.:greenchainsaw:

bowtechmadman

bowtechmadman

Addicted to ArboristSite
I've used roughly 8 cords a year the past three...3000sq ft, running a woodmaster about 130 yds from the house.
Depending on insulation you might be right on target...I've insulated the piss out of my place and keep the temp at 75.
Price really no idea (cut my own)...sounds good if he's putting it right where ya want etc...depending on the quality of wood.

Butch(OH)

Butch(OH)

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have a 4000 Woodmaster (made near you I think?) and have one year on the new set up so my experience is limited. Last year I went through about 10 cord and that was heating my 1 1/2 story 1940s home and domestic water and my work shop. Wood usage was about the same as prior set up using two separate 1980s vintage force air wood burners to heat same space. I would imagine that it is LOTS colder in your neck of the woods than in north central Ohio so I don't think your usage is way out of line but maybe a little high? Loss in the piping seems to be the big factor with the OWBS. If you have ANY visible thawing above the pipes before the surrounding ground you have problems that need to be fixed. Last winter there was never any discernible difference in the ground above my piping and the rest of the yard, none. Was reading on a web site about a very unhappy OWB owner who said he tested his water temps and was "ONLY" ??? losing 4-5 degrees between the OWB and his home. I don't loose that much through my heat exchanger when the blower is running (force air heat here) So in other words he was loosing more to the ground than I am using to heat the house, no wonder he was going though wood like no tomorrow eh? 5 degrees out of X gallons per minute we are pumping is a LOT of heat. I would check out your the water temps at the boiler and where it comes into your home. Woodmaster has been very good about supplying info like typical temp drops etc.

Local firewood prices vary a lot so our prices are pretty meaningless but around here a person can purchase firewood ready to burn for $100 cord if he buys it in late January when the cutters need to pay off their Christmas VISA bills. Right now I think it is $150 or so, I don't keep exact track of the prices. Nobody around here buys fire wood in truck lengths that I am aware of. We cut our own, buy it cut and split, or buy slab from the saw mills which is usually 50% of split wood.

Last edited:
hockeypuck

hockeypuck

ArboristSite Operative
4400 woodmaster

Started mine up two days ago for a test drive. I has been chilly around here and I just replaced the rope around my door. Wanted to make sure the seal was good. I went through 7 to 8 chords last year 1300 sft home 2 car garage heated and domestic hot water from october to beginning of june.

Make sure your lines from boiler to house are well insulated. Ground water is a killer.

Wood is stacked and ready for this year. I love the smell of burnin' wood. Fall is the best time of year IMHO.

puck

njtuna

njtuna

ArboristSite Operative
$50 a cord is almost free. around here, cheapest is $200 per cord delivered for mixed hardwoods. there's a guy on craigslist trying to sell cords of oak for $300

Jaberwky

Jaberwky

ArboristSite Operative
Never asked, but....

You sure you are getting a full cord? 4x4x8 not a face cord for that kind of money?

I will verify, but it seems that a full load off the loader truck is 9' wide by at least 18' long or so, and a truck box high is at least the 3-1/2 cord my guy claims. That, and I stack my rounds tight and obsessively measure my wood pile and my cut & stacked measurement is on or ahead of what he says he delivers.

So it seems to me that I'm getting a better deal than I thought!

Jaberwky

Jaberwky

ArboristSite Operative
Double-checked my volumes

I will verify, but it seems that a full load off the loader truck is 9' wide by at least 18' long or so, and a truck box high is at least the 3-1/2 cord my guy claims. That, and I stack my rounds tight and obsessively measure my wood pile and my cut & stacked measurement is on or ahead of what he says he delivers.

So it seems to me that I'm getting a better deal than I thought!

This weekend, I finished one pile that my guy claimed was 2 loads (I wasn't there when he delivered) - one 2 cord and one 3-1/2 cord. I have cut it all and stacked about 3/4 of it. The stack measures an even 5' high x 8' wide x 16' long, which comes out to a full 5 cord. This tells me that I'm getting a good rate of cut & stack - maybe a little ahead of what he says he's delivering. It also means that I've been able to cut & stack 5 cord in 3 days, also pretty far ahead of what I've done in the past couple of years. It also explains my sore back!

Latest posts