owb green wood vs dry wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hockeypuck

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have to eat some of my previous words. Dry wood does make a difference. Now that we have had a full week of winter weather around here I have noticed a difference in my wood consumption as compared to last year. Last year I was burning green wood. This year i am burning nothing but seasoned dry wood. What a difference. Last year I could easily make it from 5 pm to 7 am with green wood. Now that I am using dry wood I can go 22 to 24 hours. I would say that I am getting an extra 5 to 6 hours of burn time from my dry wood. Not scientific, I understand this, but there is a definite difference.

has anyone else noticed this dramatic a difference between wet and dry wood?

I have to eat some of my previous words. Dry wood does make a difference. Now that we have had a full week of winter weather around here I have noticed a difference in my wood consumption as compared to last year. Last year I was burning green wood. This year i am burning nothing but seasoned dry wood. What a difference. Last year I could easily make it from 5 pm to 7 am with green wood. Now that I am using dry wood I can go 22 to 24 hours. I would say that I am getting an extra 5 to 6 hours of burn time from my dry wood. Not scientific, I understand this, but there is a definite difference.

has anyone else noticed this dramatic a difference between wet and dry wood?

there is no comparison between dry and green. Yes the owb will burn green, but dry seasoned hardwood is the best way to go. Dry softwood also gets me decent burn times, but nothing like dry seasoned hardwood. I'm burning just pine and willow, all dry right now, saving the hardwood for when it really gets cold.

Back