OWB in a shed - how to vent the smoke

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HardyOWB

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Does anyone have an outdoor boiler in a shed? I have mine in a steel shed, but the smoke when loading the stove is tough to deal with. Anyone have any good ideas? Any pictures of your setups?

smoke signals :^)-

Does anyone have an outdoor boiler in a shed? I have mine in a steel shed, but the smoke when loading the stove is tough to deal with. Anyone have any good ideas? Any pictures of your setups?

A reputable option is to allow the fire to die down and reload it when it is down to coals.

Is the Hardy an OWB with a forced draft fan? Is it possible to turn the fan off prior to loading it? If not it would be a simple fix to install a 30 amp on-off switch to the fan power cable it self.

If the above is not possible(seems odd in the scheme of things though)with perhaps a kitchen or bathroom exhaust fan through the shed wall to ventilate the shed while loading.

:chainsaw: :givebeer: :popcorn: :dizzy:

Smoke in shed

My Central Boiler will smoke up my shed if the conditions are right. If I crack the door open and wait a few minutes the fire starts back up and there is no smoke.

As Leon said it will help to add a switch to cut off the fan and damper. I added a switch to my Hardy H2 and I open the ash door to create a draft, wait a few seconds and then open the top door to add wood. Usually it doesn't smoke but some times it does based on wind conditions.

I am planning on enclosing mine also. The guy that I bought my splitter from has his completely enclosed in a building. He mounted an exhaust housing and fan from a resturaunt above his door and then out. Went a heck of a lot of trouble but it worked great. That's what I thought I'd do. If I can I'll get a picure of his set up and post it.

buy a range hood like is over your cooking stove. mount it above the door of your stove turn it on when you fill your stove. vent it out side. this does a good job.

My OWB is outside and is located in a manner that the prevailing winds tend to blow on the back of the unit - which makes a low pressure area on the door side. When I open the door the smoke tends to come out of the door and hang around right where I need to be to put in wood. I usually open the door and stand to the side until the smoke clears out. I also have an old jacket and hood I put on so I don't smell like smoke all day. I have always wondered how you would keep this from happening in a shed.

If your OWB is in a shed that you can install a fan to pressurize the inside of the building it would help keep the smoke from coming out of the OWB. You could install a fan and switch so you could turn the fan on prior to opening the OWB door - then when you open the OWB door the smoke would not come out and it would continue to go up the flue. It would not have to anything fancy - basically an exhaust fan that is running the opposite way to bring air in the building instead of taking it out. (If you leave the door open or your shed is not completely enclosed on all sides - this idea won't work).

Thanks for all of the ideas. I currently open the ash door, go out to the woodpile and throw a few logs into the shed while the smoke vents out of the OWB. This does a good job of getting a lot of the smoke out, but it takes a while to load that big Hardy and by the end the shed is pretty full of smoke. I was going to do the range hood idea. I thought that would work great, but I am glad to hear that it has been tested and works. I will be going that route. Looking for one on craigslist now. I also like the roof fan idea, but I have a steel shed and its very thin metal on the roof, not much to mount to.

Latest posts

Back