OWB Wood Storage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abohac

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Anyone have a neat way to keep their wood dry at their stove? I have been debating putting up a shed for 6 years now (currently my wood is in a pile, with a tarp over it and a foot of snow on the tarp!) I would like to enclose the stove and all but I already get all smokey everytime I open the door, I don't think enclosing the furnace is such a good idea. Instead of a shed I was thinking about getting a decent trailer (tandem) with a hoist, covering it up with a tarp and just leaving it at the stove. Obviously I can't hold a winters burn in one trailer, but I could reload the trailer when conditions were good and the wood was not snow covered. That way I don't have a permanent shed at the stove which I think would look like hell (at least in my yard) and I would have the use of a nice trailer the rest of the year. Any one have any thoughts (or better ideas). Oh, also, I'm th laziest person on earth so don't suggest I stack it nice and neat. That aint happening! Too many other things to do.

abohac - I feel your pain.... same situation as you... Picture of my stove and wood piles. Awhile back there was this thread (see below), it has some good designs and ideas. I like your temporary trailer idea, not sure a small shed would work in my side yard either, but I might go that route to stay out of the weather as I load it... Maybe a small shed with a roof over the stove and some wood, no sides.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=56882

Curious what others are doing also.

Icreek

It's the only thing I hate about my stove. I think I'll build an awning over the stove (as you stated) to let the smoke out but keep snow from building up around the stove. Somethings have to change. Thanks for the reply.

Yah, OWBs eat so much wood and you have to keep it dry. We have metal wood racks for about 3 cords under the very large (6 ft wide) eves on the house. Then I built two one-cord storage bins along the carport. They are simple to make. I used 2x6s for 'feet' 4' apart; 2 on the ends and one in the middle. Then I laid six 2x4 x8' down as a deck on the feet. Then I added four 2x4 x 4' end and roof supports, and ran 4 2x4 x 8 roof rails on top of them, and topped them with 4'x8' plywood panels. I also ran 45 degree braces at the back from the deck to the side rails. They are modular, and they each store one cord of wood. I use a big tarp over the top and sides to keep the rain from getting in the sides.

I also have a simpler storage system for wood. We had these 8' x 6" PVC pipes that had been cut in half and used a sheep feeders. They did not work so great for that, so I flipped them over and used them as a base to keep the wood off the ground. Then I ran 2 parallel and cut notches in the ends, and pounded t-posts into the ground through the notches. That keeps the PVC 'flooring' in place and the rails act as end posts for the storing the wood. We tarp these over. We have several of these farther away from the house. The GF wants me to build a shed cover for them so we can use them more without having to use the tarps. That will require 4x4 posts and a lot of wood though, and it has to be strong so the wind does not send them flying. I was thinking of corrugated roofing or something light like that.

I have a 13x24 lean-to off my barn for wood, and I found out this winter (my first with my OWB) its probably not quite big enough for a whole season.

Due to building my house and a knee injury I have yet to get it full unfortunately.
I will probably have a couple outdoor piles near my OWB for use when it is dry next winter, and when its wet I will use the stuff under the lean-to. The stove is about 15 feet from the lean-to.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
I had the same problem the first year and made it a point not to have to store the wood under a tarp and on the ground. Here is my present set up the shed holds 6 cords of wood and a set of 4x8x8 storage racks holds 2 cords.

View attachment 64578

Last edited:
I poured a 14'x16' concret pad to put my wood on. Then after filling the stove with the wind blowing 30 mph,the stove sits out in the open. then I decided to put a roof over it and sides on the north & west. And that made big difference. the most important reason I did it is because my wife has to fill it through the week while I'M on the road. I will try to get some pictures of it tomarow and post them on here.

:greenchainsaw:

The first year I had my OWB I had my wood stacked on pallets and covered with a tarp, A severe pain to say the least! The wood condensated and then froze together, not to mention having to dig it out after a 2ft snow.:bang:
The following spring I was getting ready to build a 12x24 shed, and a buddy of mine called me and asked if I'd be interested in a 52' trailer body for free. The deal was it had to be taken of the property. I stopped to take a look at it and it was in great shape, almost road worthy! Well a day later, demo saw, torches, and a few beers I had myself an 8x24 shed! After getting it into place I framed up the open end, cut a door in the side, and added some metal siding/overhang to pretty it up a bit. I wound up with around $300 in the whole deal, which was about 1/4 of what it would have cost for the materials to build one, and it's got a steel diamond plate floor to boot! Now all I gotta do is get the wife to paint that door!:laugh:

DSCF0003-9.jpg

DSCF0005-7.jpg

Last edited:
I have this old beater truck that I store my wood in.I took one of those ladder racks that has the over hang going over the cab and put it on backwards,put a roof and sides(with hinges) and wa-la very portable wood shed.

I also made provisions to put my winch on the roof,with a pulley at the end of the overhang.I can drag logs out of the woods with the end about 5'in the air.

My wood is kept in a very old and unstable :jawdrop: 24x24 garage,once a week I'll drive the truck to the garage,fill it and back it up right to the OWB.

It works out pretty good,put the truck isnt road worthy.

I am thinking of one of those carports

The ones you see for sale for 750-1,000.
I can use one end of it for a sugar shack in Feb,. Plus I can store a lot of wood under it..

This may sound kinda redneckish, but I have thought of using a truckbed trailer with a removable shell. I'm working on a dump unit for it and figured once I had that installed I wouldn't have to crawl up in it to retreave the wood. I don't think stacking it does much for my back, my time or profit. That and I'm "work ethic challenged"

what about next weeks wood?

This may sound kinda redneckish, but I have thought of using a truckbed trailer with a removable shell. I'm working on a dump unit for it and figured once I had that installed I wouldn't have to crawl up in it to retreave the wood. I don't think stacking it does much for my back, my time or profit. That and I'm "work ethic challenged"

A few weeks ago we had a really cold snap. I burned over 2 faces in that week.. It was hickory not poplar. Boiler users generally are going to waste, I mean consume more wood.

I added a lean to off the back of my barn...plus I still keep a large pile outside the lean to / in front of the OWB.
Windthown...why do you say that you have to keep the wood dry? I've never had an issue w/ wet from rain or snow affecting me adversly too much. As long as the wood is seasoned it's burned just fine.

Windthrown has to keep his wood dry because he is in the PNW and they get five times the rain that we do.

Also even though your wood burns wet you are still losing BTU's by burning wet wood. It takes heat from the fire to dry the wood before it will burn.

I am burning snow covered wood right now after the dumping we got Thursday but it is stil eating BTU's

Storage

I appreciate all the replies, especially the pictures (I am somewhat academically challenged, so pictures work well for me). One of my problems is that my stove sits 300 ft from my house and completely in the open. What I do really needs to look ok in the yard or I might have to start looking for a divorce lawyer ('cause my wood stove aint goin). Anyway, I think I'm going to take all the good things everyone has given me and come up with a plan.

Last edited:
Your answer is simple if you have a saw mill near you home (write this down) Get your hands on a few dozen rough sawn dry oak boards, six pressure treated or salt treated 4x4x12 posts, eight 2x12x8 or 2x12x12 pressure treated boards,and a few sheets of steel or asphalt roofing materials. You want to construct your building frame opening opposing the primary direction of wind and slant your roof one half bubble away from your exposed front. Once you have your frame assembled you can start to lay your oak boards in a pattern such as you would on standard clap board siding and finally paint or stain the wood to your desired finish. Then just construct your roof with a hole cut out for your chimney your best roofing material would be steel since it resists fire.

Note treated lumber is not critical to this construction if you have a native wood that wont rot then use it.

OWB inside!

Cool ideas! I like your sheds, but mine will have to be closed for asthetic purposes. Probably a pole building resembling our garage, short though like the truck box idea. No way one side will be open. It should stay pretty warm while loading and maybe reduce what little heat loss there may be. Less wind cooling the thing off!

Back