OWB Wood Storage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Windthown...why do you say that you have to keep the wood dry? I've never had an issue w/ wet from rain or snow affecting me adversly too much. As long as the wood is seasoned it's burned just fine.

Well, you do not have to keep it dry, but it burns a lot better and more efficiently if you do. Also up here in the PNW, as some have mentioned, we get rain and or snow sometimes for 30 to 40 days straight. Once the wood gets that wet that long, it tends to get pretty soggy, and the heating efficiency definately drops. With recently seasoned (in the last year) dense wood it is not a big deal. But with rotted wood, buggy wood, or downed wood like oak that has been on the ground for a year or so, it gets kind of spongey, and sucks up the water. More water leads to less burning efficiency.

Dry is better...

I dunno why y'all have to park the OWB's so far away from the house and all, or why they have to be dressed up. We parked ours on a slab near the carport out back, and it is just far enough away to meet the manufacturer's requirements for distance from the sides and door opening and stack. The overhang from the house is a few inches back from the front edge of the boiler. That side of the carport is protected from the south where the big winds come from during storms here. The stack is 6 ft above the lower roof line, and smoke is not an issue. Most of the time the smoke is drawn away from the house as shown in the photo. And that is about as much smoke as we get most of the time... not that anyone notices here, we own 100+ acres around the house.

Last edited:
framed wood storage boxes

Behind the ATV is one of my wood storage boxes. Each one stores one cord. I tarp them over this time of year. These are almost empty now.

Last edited:
I dunno why y'all have to park the OWB's so far away from the house and all, or why they have to be dressed up. We parked ours on a slab near the carport out back, and it is just far enough away to meet the manufacturer's requirements for distance from the sides and door opening and stack. The overhang from the house is a few inches back from the front edge of the boiler. That side of the carport is protected from the south where the big winds come from during storms here. The stack is 6 ft above the lower roof line, and smoke is not an issue. Most of the time the smoke is drawn away from the house as shown in the photo. And that is about as much smoke as we get most of the time... not that anyone notices here, we own 100+ acres around the house.

I chose to move my boiler 150' away because I wanted it close to my wood, and I didnt want 10 cords of wood next to my house. Also I didnt want any smoke surrounding the house, even once in a while. My neighbors are over 600' away on both sides so that was not an issue. My decision cost me $600 in extra insulated pex but I figured in a couple years I will have forgotten about the money but not the smoke lol

I dunno why y'all have to park the OWB's so far away from the house and all, or why they have to be dressed up.

Mines centrally located between the 3 building it heats, and I can drive right to it to load it without any hassle. Had to dress up the semi trailer...did'nt want a chrome twinkie in my yard!:D

Back