owb year end maintence

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjs97

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
oiled stove up last weekend after cleaning up ashes and creosote. just wondering what other maintence a guy should do. i oiled everything with thin layer of old motor oil sprayed thur old paint sprayer. need to do anything with chimney? my boiler is homemade so chimney is just 3/16 steel. don't know how long it will last but we'll see.

should a guy leave pump running or unplug for the summer. no way to drain heat ex. either so central air might work in reverse with water flowing. i can isolate zone to house but can't drain it unless i cut into lines and add a valve.

thanks,
matt

you need to drain it and refill it with fresh water and put what ever chemcials(rust protection) that your brand of owb takes and shut the pump down

oiled stove up last weekend after cleaning up ashes and creosote. just wondering what other maintence a guy should do. i oiled everything with thin layer of old motor oil sprayed thur old paint sprayer. need to do anything with chimney? my boiler is homemade so chimney is just 3/16 steel. don't know how long it will last but we'll see.

should a guy leave pump running or unplug for the summer. no way to drain heat ex. either so central air might work in reverse with water flowing. i can isolate zone to house but can't drain it unless i cut into lines and add a valve.

thanks,
matt

thats a good question, but one I know nothing about as mine runs year round

I wont use "used motor oil" you pick up the unburnt and burnt byproducts or the gas or what ever fuel your burning, your putting junk on clean steel the best I found was an simple 10w30 motor oil...new. Shut pump off, Check your water for 300 to 500 PPM of sodium nitrates (rust inhibitor) Ph in the around side of 7.5 to 8.

I woundnt change your water every year, unless your water is really bad and lots of CHUCKS of stuff. My water in my stoves has been in there 4 years and only put 2 gallons of rust inhibitor in, once you get the water all set up you mite put 1/2 gallon in each year......... this way cost less

Or

you can change if you dont have the stuff to check the water and PH....
you have to put rust inhibitor in every year........cost more.

Put an bucket on the smoke stack to prevent water in getting in the fire box.
Keep it clean and oiled, the more you take care of your stove the longer it will last.

I wont use "used motor oil" you pick up the unburnt and burnt byproducts or the gas or what ever fuel your burning, your putting junk on clean steel the best I found was an simple 10w30 motor oil...new. Shut pump off, Check your water for 300 to 500 PPM of sodium nitrates (rust inhibitor) Ph in the around side of 7.5 to 8.

I woundnt change your water every year, unless your water is really bad and lots of CHUCKS of stuff. My water in my stoves has been in there 4 years and only put 2 gallons of rust inhibitor in, once you get the water all set up you mite put 1/2 gallon in each year......... this way cost less

Or

you can change if you dont have the stuff to check the water and PH....
you have to put rust inhibitor in every year........cost more.

Put an bucket on the smoke stack to prevent water in getting in the fire box.
Keep it clean and oiled, the more you take care of your stove the longer it will last.

Jack, where do we get the equipment to check PH and PPMs of rust preventer and about how much?

I was planning to oil mine up too, figured that tip wasn't in the manuals since it probably wouldn't make the EPA very happy, LOL. Drained it last week and am waiting on my rust inhibitor to get here to refill.

Jack, where do we get the equipment to check PH and PPMs of rust preventer and about how much?

I was planning to oil mine up too, figured that tip wasn't in the manuals since it probably wouldn't make the EPA very happy, LOL. Drained it last week and am waiting on my rust inhibitor to get here to refill.

As I know you can get PH papers at an fish supply place or hardware or pool pace....The sodium nitrate test kit can be order from TAYLOR TECHINOLOGIES, I dont have the web site but here is the number 1-800-837-8548. Its an drop test kit that 1 drop = 40 ppm I cant remember if its around 30 to 50 bucks I think. Part number is K-1510...

thanks for info. so i shouldn't have to worry about heat ex. freezing with central air on. if shut that zone off it won't build pressure will it. shutting zone off will keep from any flow even with pump off.

thanks,
matt

Back