OWB's and lotsa wood.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonder how long insulated PEX line will last before the insulation starts to break down?

I was reading the other day where PEX may not have the life expectany that was predicted.

How about long term boiler corrosion?

Lots of things we use are complicated and OWB systems are too. That's not a reason not to use them in and of itself.

I'll be sticking with my totally passive cast iron Jotul F600CB, thank you. That's because this type of system is what is best for my situation, all things considered.

Nothing lasts forever, and that is a fact :msp_wink:

I only lived up north for a few years and then came back south. But, the incident I mentioned is true. I just didn't mention I was in the throws of menopause for effect. I could have been out riding naked and still been too hot. I had one neighbor ask, why I was sweating when the temperature was well below zero and I was wearing nothing but a tee shirt n shorts putzing around outside. If you want their phone number, I think I can still find it and I doubt they would have forgotten that incident or me for that matter.

The coldest I rode in here was when I was closing on this property. I had my truck delivered so all I had was my bike. The temperatures were in the teens with cross winds that would curl your toes, but I was truly dressed for the cold. If it could be insulated, it was, and honestly it still wasn't enough. I was wearing a helmet at that time. Big difference between going through and gone through menopause.

The only thing electrically heated are my handgrips, once I get them installed that is. I still have them in their original packaging sitting in the garage. They've been there for about a year and a half now.

Lol the menopause thing answers alot! Please accept my apology. :msp_biggrin:

Ahh, OWB vs. Wood stove. What a classic. I'm in.

1. I'll take either over gas.
  2. There is something between a common house mouse and a rat called a field mouse you don't want in on or near your cupboards.
  3. There is something called a German cockroach you don't want on the place, I torch him out of his frozen dormancy in an abrupt way without acclimatizing him gently. Same way for Sawyer Beettle, EAB and all kind of larvae and grub. Don't seek morality or fishbait diversification lessons here.
  4. Ants are a tough critter who like sugar, chocolate and carpet and blankets.
  5. Teenage girls don't like bugs or field mice or anything similar. And they don't like being cold.
  6. A Thirteen year old would turn Fourteen in the shower if you didn't remind 'em not to.
  7. A door is somethin' a eleven year old boy is perpetually on the wrong side of.
  8. Cold air, smoke and frozen wood is supossed to stay on the winter side of the house.
  9. I love dry air however, your woodwork does not.
  10. My gas meter should be running back wards about now even though it was six deg F this mornin', I burned 500 lbs of oak yesterday and plugged in my truck for an hour. I would have to plug in my truck and pay a gas bill anyhow. When your gas man takes time out of his busy schedule to knock on the door to ask you you tell him a little about you setup and you gladly do so in a t-shirt while he wear coveralls, you are barkingup the right tree. An insect is still foriegn to the house. I may fart and stink in a way I once thought only my Dad could do, however there is no bugs making me house lack hygeine. And as far as wood boiler and the insurance man, He has one too.

I may not know a heck of a lot about OWB's or IWB's but from what I do know from the research I've done, and what I've been able to learn here on AS, I would never want one attached to or in my home even if it were offered free with a free install and a lifetime supply of wood.

Now that's just nuts little lady. (no I am not jabbing you or cutting you down)

I think the cost is about the ONLY drawback to the system.

I think the cost is about the ONLY drawback to the system.
I don't think the cost is all that bad considering we got a fuel oil delivery today. Since the first of December the house alone has used $1800 worth of oil. :angry:

Well I've read many times here and quite honestly I've even made the comment about OWB's and wood. They take a LOT... Yes they do.
But I've read time and time again about people tryin to make some dinky little half assed stove burn for a full day and then complainin about it.

Then they proclaim with all sorts of reasons that an OWB is just wasteful and nowhere near efficient enough.
Well fine. Drag yourself out of bed at 5 am to fix a fire while the house is at 50.
Split your wood into toothpicks just so it will fit in this stove.

I'm in no way sayin that a small stove is worthless. Neither are our wood eating boilers.
Yes we go through more wood than the stove owner does but we are also NOT up at 5 am fixing a fire. Nor are we #####in about hot spots in the house. Nor are we #####in about bugs, bark, and dirt in the house.
So if splitting toothpicks is your thing or wakin up to a cold house is what you like then by all means burn your little stove to your hearts content.

If you want to get serious about heating with wood. Get an OWB and cut lotsa wood!

Everyone talks about how much more wood a OWB takes. Yep it takes more.
I'm willing to bet though that I have no more time in a winters worth of wood than the stove owner does and I have half the headaches. I'm not talkin cords ricks or piles. I'm saying a winters worth.
I don't care wether you burn 6 cord to my 12. My 12 cord of bigger stuff cuts as fast as your 6 cord of kindling.

Yes I'm in a mood tonight!
And your point is.............

I will have an OWB in place and in operation by next fall. I am anticipating a cost of 15 to 18 thousand. We will have spent that much in oil in 2 years if we do NOT install an OWB. We've already spent 6500 this season alone for oil. We're heating a 17 room uninsulated, (for all intents and purposes), farm house, a training facility, an office, shop and apartment. Now how many woodstoves would it take to heat all that?:msp_biggrin:

I would insulate the house first.:msp_smile:

I would insulate the house first.:msp_smile:
There are other things that would have to be done along with insulation, making it a $40,000 project. AND, we plan on selling the house in the not-too-distant future. We have another building we are concentrating our efforts on with renovations, insulations and boiler-ations!

I think your not fully understanding the BASIC OWB. (forced air application)

You have an OPEN tank of water being heated by a fire. A little doohicky called an aquastat senses water temp and kicks on a blower that feeds the fire when needed to maintain set water temp.
A pump runs water through the lines nonstop. Much of the time your water is just getting dizzy from going round and round.
Attached to these water lines in your ductwork is another doohicky called a heat exchanger (looks just like the radiator in your truck/ just smaller) When your house needs heat your t-stat simply kicks on your existing furnace fan.
No pressure, no zones, no relays (well the aquastat might be a relay)
Yes there are many more parts than a simple stand alone stove but it's really quite simple.

Radiant floor heat OWB's have a few more parts.

Forced air heat is the worst heat that I have ever seen, if its heat with a owb or gas. Its cold in house then hot then cold and so on.

There are other things that would have to be done along with insulation, making it a $40,000 project. AND, we plan on selling the house in the not-too-distant future. We have another building we are concentrating our efforts on with renovations, insulations and boiler-ations!

oh ok thats all good.Just saying with my house is well insulated and what a difference.

Forced air heat is the worst heat that I have ever seen, if its heat with a owb or gas. Its cold in house then hot then cold and so on.

Then you have no idea how to set up a t-stat. Or at least you need a new one.

Then you have no idea how to set up a t-stat. Or at least you need a new one.[/Qt

The t-stat is not the problem its the cool air in the duct work that blows out when it kicks on. Then once it finally heats up to temp house gets hot because it will run past temp. setting before it shuts off. Then repeats that over and over. I rather pay a higher electric bill than deal with that kind of heat. Had forced air but got rid of it and put ventless nat. gas in front of house and electric ind. zone in rooms for back up but haven;t turned gas or electric on since wood stove install. If I needed a owb I would def. hook it up for hot water baseboard. At least thats an even type of heat. When it turns off it still stays warm to it needs to heat up again. Everyone likes to heat their own way but sorry I think forced air sucks.:msp_thumbdn:

The t-stat is not the problem its the cool air in the duct work that blows out when it kicks on. Then once it finally heats up to temp house gets hot because it will run past temp. setting before it shuts off. Then repeats that over and over. I rather pay a higher electric bill than deal with that kind of heat. Had forced air but got rid of it and put ventless nat. gas in front of house and electric ind. zone in rooms for back up but haven;t turned gas or electric on since wood stove install. If I needed a owb I would def. hook it up for hot water baseboard. At least thats an even type of heat. When it turns off it still stays warm to it needs to heat up again. Everyone likes to heat their own way but sorry I think forced air sucks.:msp_thumbdn:

Then you have no idea how to set up a t-stat. My house varies by 1.5° at the set temp. That cold air takes like 3 seconds to get warm.

Last edited:
Then you have no idea how to set up a t-stat.

If I want my house at 70 I would put it at 70. How the heck can anyone mess that up. The problem is not the t-stat its how the heating system works. If there is a different way to put t-stat at 70 please enlighten me because I will pass info down to grandparents who still have forced air and hate it too because it kicks on and off, hot and cold. Not trying to pick a fight just saying this was my past exper. with it. Woodstoves and baseboard heat keep house at a much warm steady heatin my opinion.

Latest posts

Back