Ozzy Sugar gum plantasion firewood thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As much as the redgum, redbox, greybox, yellowbox perform well in heat output, around here those species are creating alot of ash due to the fact that they are basically only present in granite areas. What I burn and sell here is mostly peppermint with the occasional load of stringy. I'm getting 11-12hrs out a heater loaded up of peppermint and heat output is excellent. It's plentiful, easy on the chain/saw and splits very easily. The performance of peppermint surprises alot of diehard box users.

I agree about peppermint,its easy to cut,splitt dry quickly and smells nice when ya burn it.

Sad it before, well I will say it again, alway's respected the Aussie's! A rugge'd, and hearty breed. Nice thread, and pic's. Bluegum is really popular around here, but we don't have the Euc selection you guy's do. I burne'd it for the first time last winter, and was impresse'd, but that is my experience with Euc, just that. Madrone is hard to beat. I like tan oak, easy nas hell to split, I burn pepperwood, mostly Oak, and blue gum I guess anymore,because of where I work. We stock pile wood from the county road storm's. I mix in douglas fir when I can. Been in some nice madrone lately.

Norm, bluegum in my immediate area is just too ashy.

I agree about peppermint,its easy to cut,splitt dry quickly and smells nice when ya burn it.

Burning a nice load of stringy atm. It wanna be as it cost me the back window in the ute! :dizzy:

Norm, I have burnt oak and some of those old heavy pines and they make great firewood. We prefer our dense eucs but boy, we will burn anything we can get usually.
Al,
My sister's FIL sold wood for a living for many years and his favourite wood of all was a species of hill apple box. Now apple box from the lower country is the worst wood you can get and will hardly burn at all but the stuff growing in the rocky Warby ranges where he lived was the hottest, longest burning wood we could get. He rated the hill peppermint second and even liked his local stringy. I use them all when I can and would love to know how they compare to Jarrah or even some of the eucs from the Flinders ranges.
Another of my favourites is an Ovens wattle that nobody bothers with. It spits and sparks but does it give off some heat!
Al.

My mate and i have been cutting Sugar and Spotted gums in another plantasion,the farmer wonts them all down and pulled away so he can put up a new fence both sides of the stumps.There was afew nice large ones that i will mill up when i get some time.I have been using the Snellerized 660 and all is well.:D

attachment.php

attachment.php

I don't know... looks like that bar is going to need repainting soon. The saw is really putting it to shame. :blob2:

Also, how long are you going to keep calling yourself stihlman441 now that you've sold your 441? There's a regulation against listing sold saws in your sig too.

Shaun

That bar has been around for awhile and seena bit of work.
What can i do about user name,bit late to change it know im thinking,any suggestoins ?.
My mate got a new 880 not long ago,run it in on afew of the stumps with a 36'' bar.

[video=youtube;ktFJD-HRoBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktFJD-HRoBE[/video]

[video=youtube;DSRJZOBPd6c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSRJZOBPd6c[/video]

I have a 260 for sale and maybe a 460,if i can choose between a ported 460 or 441 C M Tronic.

The 441 C M Tronic has a lot going for it but love my 460 even in stock form. :confused2:

yeah, looking at your lineup that was what I figured. Want to PM me some prices so I I can respond with some insultingly low counter offers? I've got an itch that only a 260/261 can fill. Room for a 460 in my stable also for sure.

Shaun

So lets have a little look at other threads thats really should not be in the CHAINSAW threads

90 days, now CAD free....?

Swap meet...

the all aussie dribble thread!

Sonoma, Mendocino, lake county?

Gippsland or victoria australia GTG

Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Growing up with Redwood's. Truely God's country.

Today's Job...

Redwood.... Get out the Big Dogs....:)

Website for PURE gas

etc

So anyway this type of stuff should not be in the CHAINSAW THREAD so i will just continue on.

I have been back out to the plantasion cutting again took a quick vid of my stock ozzy model 460 with 20'' bar and a Carlton full chisel chain,wood is Sugar gum.

[video=youtube;6uz2_dxR-Qo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uz2_dxR-Qo[/video]

So anyway this type of stuff should not be in the CHAINSAW THREAD so i will just continue on.

I have been back out to the plantasion cutting again took a quick vid of my stock ozzy model 460 with 20'' bar and a Carlton full chisel chain,wood is Sugar gum.

[video=youtube;6uz2_dxR-Qo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uz2_dxR-Qo[/video]

That video belongs in the chainsaw thread but after 2 minutes and 5 seconds it needs to be moved to the Chainsaws thread for the last 37 seconds I looks like the 261 in the background doing some limbing which it is too heavy for and the sideways balance is all wrong:hmm3grin2orange:

Hey Andrew does your 261 sound like its 4 stroking and then cleaning up in the cut

I have been listening to brads how to tune by ear video but it is not a strato saw and my muffler is stock just sans the wire screen.

All saws sound different and you can hear the difference in the sound of the two saws in this video.

I can remember what your 260/261 comparison sounded like, might have to listen to it again.

What are your thoughts on how your 261 sounds?

So who moved my thread :msp_angry:

Sorry it made you mad, but I'm kinda glad they did as I don't get to the chainsaw thread much and I really liked your pictures.
I am buy some land that has been clear cut and was thinking planting some of those blue gums in stead of hybrid loblolly pines,which is what most people go back with.
They sell the seeds over here in the states, but I'm not sure how they'll do in Louisiana, but I'm gonna try anyway. Sure be glad when yalls summer comes back.We need some relief from the heat over here.
Sorry to interrupt my Aussie friends, carry on.

Sorry it made you mad, but I'm kinda glad they did as I don't get to the chainsaw thread much and I really liked your pictures.
I am buy some land that has been clear cut and was thinking planting some of those blue gums in stead of hybrid loblolly pines,which is what most people go back with.
They sell the seeds over here in the states, but I'm not sure how they'll do in Louisiana, but I'm gonna try anyway. Sure be glad when yalls summer comes back.We need some relief from the heat over here.
Sorry to interrupt my Aussie friends, carry on.

There are many Eucalyptus called blue gums each region has its own local common name

Eucalyptus globulus likes latitude 37 to 43 so is too cold for you :(
(this is most likely what is being called blue gum in the usofa)

Eucalyptus tereticornis likes latitude 15 to 38 so will like Florida :)
This will grow for you.

Eucalyptus cypellocarpa might grow but it can get to 200 ft / 60 meters

These are like the globulus and probably wont grow
Eucalyptus leucoxylon again likes higher latitudes
Eucalyptus bicostata again likes higher latitudes

Latest posts

Back