Ozzy Sugar gum plantasion firewood thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and further to Saltas' excellent answer, E. bicostata looks almost identical to E. globulus (common name Tasmanian Blue Gum) except it's not quite as tall. The difference is in the number buds at flowering (3 vs 1 for globulus)
IMO they area magnificent tree, there's a few in the district here that are about 80 years old and I love them.
It seems the Eucs called 'Blue Gum' I've seen most referenced in the US are globulus.

I'm not overly fussed with E. leucoxyln as a tree, although they are very drought hardy.
We've planted a few here on the recommendation of a neighbour but they appear a bit scrubby to me but apparently put on a nice show at flowering and don't get too tall. (to 25m tall)
I'm probably being a bit harsh, ours are all still immature but ATM our E. camaludensis, E. citriodora and E. saligna are comprehensively outgrowing them.

BTW, E. saligna is the Sydney Blue Gum and lives in coastal ranges environment all the way north to southern Qld so would grow in Florida, but they can grow to 55m tall.
It's related to E. grandis, the other prominent forest species of the eastern ranges who's range does extend much further north (equivalent of south for the US). Saltas can throw in the equivalent latitudes, I can't be arsed looking at the atlas ATM :D

E. tereticornis is a handsome tree, we have a few on our place here but I know it as a Forest Red Gum, which shows how bad common names are for trees

Last edited:
Thanks fellows, I'll go back and see what seeds are available to me here and compare notes.It's Louisiana,though, not Florida.We get a few frosty days here from November into April.

Latitude is not every thing just had a look at US plant hardiness zones and you are zone 8 TDI rick is in our zone 3 = your zone 9 just a bit warmer and I'm in our zone 5 = your zone 11 think cuba.

Some of those that I said might not grow cause they like it colder would grow based on the zone maps.

Sorry to confuse you all before.

zones-map.gif

Thanks fellows, I'll go back and see what seeds are available to me here and compare notes.It's Louisiana,though, not Florida.We get a few frosty days here from November into April.

All those mentioned are pretty well frost tolerant.

The E. saligna/Sydney Blue Gum supposedly isn't terribly frost tolerant but we have heavy frosts from the end of April through September here (down to -6*/-7*C sometimes) and they laughed at them :D

I have Corymbia Citriodora/Lemon Scented Gums that aren't very frost tolerant but are a lovely tree. They are still a Euc
I cover the Lemon Scented Gums all through winter until they're about 5' tall, then they're on their own and mostly they do ok.

I have E. Camuldulensis/River Red Gum as well, it occurs naturally on lower parts of our property here and I've planted them as tube stock as it is a magnificent tree and does really well in very wet areas, as its name suggests.

Just looked at the seed catalog and have narrowed it down to E. globulus and E. alba. the others that are available don't seem to be very cold hardy.
I would like something that would make a decent firewood tree in 20 or so years.
The soil is red clay and hilly and rocky with what we always called iron rock.Not sure what they really are,but they break pretty easy and look like big chunks of rust.

Last edited:
Hey Andrew does your 261 sound like its 4 stroking and then cleaning up in the cut

I have been listening to brads how to tune by ear video but it is not a strato saw and my muffler is stock just sans the wire screen.

All saws sound different and you can hear the difference in the sound of the two saws in this video.

I can remember what your 260/261 comparison sounded like, might have to listen to it again.

What are your thoughts on how your 261 sounds?

Ha there Saltas,
I have found it very hard to tune this 261 only because the stratto saws dont sound as in 4 stroking as the older saws do.I have playes around with it and found at 13800 to 13900 it is still a little rich but seems to like it in that area,and you just notice the burble when ya take the load of.I made a vid i will put up latter,the 261 and then 460 in same wood,you would think the differance woud be huge but you will be supprised.;)

Just looked at the seed catalog and have narrowed it down to E. globulus and E. alba. the others that are available don't seem to be very cold hardy.
I would like something that would make a decent firewood tree in 20 or so years.
The soil is red clay and hilly and rocky with what we always called iron rock.Not sure what they really are,but they break pretty easy and look like big chunks of rust.

I'm no botanist or arborist, just an old mechanic that heats with timber but one tree I know that does well in clay and ironstone soils is (Red) Ironbark, E. sideroxylon, as it dominated in those soil types where I grew up.

Unbelievable timber for structural use or burning.

Not familiar with the Argyle Apple/E. cinerea, it's not widespread.

Was also looking at some E.cinerea.

Temperature Rating USDA Zone 7
Type Medium tree to 50', may be pruned for multiple stems or to maintain desired height, lignotuber (contains buds from which new stems may sprout, and a sufficient store of nutrients to support a period of growth in the absence of photosynthesis, fire resistance stratagey)
Flower Color White
Growth Rate Moderate to fast
Placement Sun
Soil type Sand, sandy loam, clay loam, loam, clay
Soil moisture (minimum) 600 mm (24") per year

leaves are used in floral arrangements not a timber tree.

Overseas-grown Australian Timber Species
Overseas-grown Australian Timber Species

Eucalyptus melliodora Yellow Box might be worth a go good for making posts, good weather resistance not good for furniture

[snip]
Eucalyptus melliodora Yellow Box might be worth a go good for making posts, good weather resistance not good for furniture

It's a beetch to split, grain's too wriggly IMO and termites love it. ( I cut Yellow and White Box around here)
Having said that, I've seen it used for railway sleepers. (and its been termite infested)

Red Gum is better, (River or Blakeley's) much easier to cut, splits straight, termite resistant, excellent weather resistance.
Iron Bark is better again and tougher timber.

[edit] forgot to mention that E.melliodora and E. albens (White Box) make fantastic firewood. did I mention that the bloody termite chimneys are a PITA though. :D

Last edited:
Just out of interest i put the 261 up against my 460 with the same chains Carlton full chisel 3/8 .063 and the same wood.I dont think some poeple realise just how good this little 50 cc saw is.:D Wood is Sugar gum.
[video=youtube;c40EbbuNwlE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c40EbbuNwlE[/video]

[video=youtube;gLsbSOUUuOg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLsbSOUUuOg[/video]

Nice video andrew average of 17sec for the 261 and an average of 11 sec for the 460 :)

It is not a race, you can hear the 261 load up a couple of times but it gets straight back into it.

now I need to go and find your 261/260 comparison :computer:

Your good that saw is almost never wot without being in the wood, Still not sure I'm hearing what I think I'm hearing :msp_smile:

Nice video andrew average of 17sec for the 261 and an average of 11 sec for the 460 :)

It is not a race, you can hear the 261 load up a couple of times but it gets straight back into it.

now I need to go and find your 261/260 comparison :computer:

Your good that saw is almost never wot without being in the wood, Still not sure I'm hearing what I think I'm hearing :msp_smile:

Na you wont hear it there,you have to take the load off the saw to hear it.
Its hard to pick up but can just hear it on this one as about the enter wood.
[video=youtube;yA3u40KvWWs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA3u40KvWWs[/video]

forgot to mention that E.melliodora and E. albens (White Box) make fantastic firewood. did I mention that the bloody termite chimneys are a PITA though. :D

Another reason to use semi chisel

Termite resistance is a funny thing as different termites eat different woods.

A species is likely to succumb to termite attack when it is used in its native area or where it has become naturalized.

I'm definitely not an entomologist but I remember seeing ant hills here and pictures from Africa but pictures from the US of A arn't popping into my frontal lobe right now.
So maybe they don't have as many as us and maybe those they do have don't have the Tungsten Carbide teeth upgrade.

I have not championed Corymbia Citriodora/Lemon Scented Gums as you beat me to it.
They grow fast up hear and are in my top 100 trees along with its little mate lemon scented myrtle Backhousia citriodora.

Na you wont hear it there,you have to take the load off the saw to hear it.
Its hard to pick up but can just hear it on this one as about the enter wood.
[video=youtube;yA3u40KvWWs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA3u40KvWWs[/video]

"your good that saw is almost never wot without being in the wood"
was a compliment to you looking after your saw but it was not helping me as it was not WOT unloaded.

I can hear it now in the 260 / 261 comparison sounds a little bit like a rev limiter but different.

I have not leaned mine our as much as you yet still set at 13400

Another reason to use semi chisel

Termite resistance is a funny thing as different termites eat different woods.

A species is likely to succumb to termite attack when it is used in its native area or where it has become naturalized.

I'm definitely not an entomologist but I remember seeing ant hills here and pictures from Africa but pictures from the US of A arn't popping into my frontal lobe right now.
So maybe they don't have as many as us and maybe those they do have don't have the Tungsten Carbide teeth upgrade.

I have not championed Corymbia Citriodora/Lemon Scented Gums as you beat me to it.
They grow fast up hear and are in my top 100 trees along with its little mate lemon scented myrtle Backhousia citriodora.
Oh we have ants and termites, great big black ants little bitty black ants, they both do a number on wood.Then we have fireants that get into everything and really hurt when they bite you, we have sugar ants that like to come into your kitchen and Formosan termites.Our termites like to have contact with the ground,though, they don't build the big mounds.
Thanks a lot for the info on the trees fellows.

I don't know... looks like that bar is going to need repainting soon. The saw is really putting it to shame. :blob2:

Also, how long are you going to keep calling yourself stihlman441 now that you've sold your 441? There's a regulation against listing sold saws in your sig too.

Shaun

Bye the way Shaun there will be no need to chang my sig there is a ported MS441CRM-Tronic on its way.:smile2:

I have been cutting some Stringybark the last week or so made a vid of the Snellerized 660 blocking some up.
Then a pic of the twins,my cutting mate and i have the same line up 2 x 261s,2 x 460s,2 x 660s.

[video=youtube;ElTegPoViFA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElTegPoViFA[/video]

attachment.php

attachment.php

Back