Pacific Northwest GTG June 10th-12th

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious what engine, Aaron? I had thought I read somewhere you had a Ford. Is it a 6.9, early IHI 7.3, or Powerstroke 7.3?

Just curious what engine, Aaron? I had thought I read somewhere you had a Ford. Is it a 6.9, early IHI 7.3, or Powerstroke 7.3?

The IDI 6.9L and 7.3L diesel V8's used in Ford pickups, as well as the later 7.3 Powerstroke and 6.0L PS diesels were all made by International Harvester (or Navistar, or ITEC..............depending on what the truck/engine division was calling itself at the time). My truck has an International built 6.9L IDI V8. Was NA from the factory, but somebody added an unidentified (not Banks, ATS, or Hypermax) aftermarket turbo setup sometime in the late '80s.

10-4. No sleeves, bummer, not that that wold fix anything. The sleeved 7.3s were/are prone to coolant cavitation pinholing if you're not on top of the coolant additives.

10-4. No sleeves, bummer, not that that wold fix anything. The sleeved 7.3s were/are prone to coolant cavitation pinholing if you're not on top of the coolant additives.

All the engines in the 6.9/7.3L IDI engine family are prone to cavitation induced pinholes. I was careful when I bought the truck back in 2004 or so to be sure and get a rig with a cooling system that'd been maintained. Passed up more than a few coolant bubblin', steam-out-the-fill tube chuggin' trucks. The Cummins rigs are also somewhat prone to cavitation, but less so. Mostly, the problem was non-diesel-savvy consumers buying diesels for the first time in the '80s and not maintaining the cooling systems. I'm sure many of them never even read the owners manual suppliment. "What do mean I have to add SCA???"

Even after this failure, the cooling system on my rig was still working fine. Wasn't bubbling into the cooling system. Didn't overheat, and didn't steam out the tailpipe or oil filler tube. Just was running like ####, shaking, and chugging oil mist and smoke out of wherever it could escape from. There's a mighty pond under the rear main seal right now...

Hey Aaron,glad youre on the air. Its not a new truck, nor doe's it take the place of the GTG, but I thought Id run out to my shed, and get you a couple pics, of the 700 pm, thats gonna be youre new saw.

Good god, Almighty, been trying to download em for the last hour, hopefully here is two more. Im havin a hella of a time WTF?

Able to see one pic Norm. Thanks for posting it. That's one clean looking PM700. Looking forward to meeting up with you and having that saw in my stable. Very similar to the ProMac 10-10 I sent to Chris T a while ago. Kinda missed that saw since it left here. Now I have three nice examples of that saw family showing up in a week (plus a grand old 750 Homelite to work on). Takes some of the sting out of missing the GTG. Thanks again Norm!:cheers:

Last edited:
Be sweet for those vent's to have some kind of camera, film crew. Even for a decent price get some college kids studying journalism, or film, and hire em LOL! Would come out with a nice scrapbook though!

Yea here I am getting ready to go to work and wanted to hop on to see how much fun I have been missing.... and no pics :(

Sucks you had to work today Oldsawnut. Youre neck of the woods you could'nt make it, you get stuck working? It is quiet on the PNW front?

187075d1307929722-longbar-hardwood-maple0001-jpg

187076d1307929771-our-host0001-jpg

187077d1307929823-randy-mac-maccing0001-jpg

187078d1307929904-randymac-being-unsafe0001-jpg

View attachment 187075View attachment 187076View attachment 187077View attachment 187078A few portraits and then I must warsh my hair.

Last edited:
I see Randy wore the hat. Looks like Ms P caught Randy running off with Mark's 1-76 in the last pic...:D

Come on folks...............post more pics. We know you're tired from the drive home, but that's no excuse. Jenn shook her head when she saw me clicking 'refresh' every minute or so...

Last edited:
View attachment 187085View attachment 187086View attachment 187087View attachment 187088

My camera had problems focussing. I shall post some more.
The site for the GTG was awesome, Big Thanks to the Farley9Ns. A lot of work went into it. The barbecue was to die for...we had a carnivore theme going...smoked, barbecue brisket, barbecued turkey breast, barbecued pork thingie which I failed to partake of, and bacon. There were real donuts too. That latter is a treat for those of us living in small burgs that are bakery deficient.

187085d1307933074-pacity0001-jpg

187086d1307933076-retirement-wedge0001-jpg

187087d1307933078-startin-em-young0001-jpg

187088d1307933080-startin-em-young0001_1-jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back