Packard Marine Engine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.Walker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This Packard marine engine cought my eye on a visit to the Antique Boat Museum at Clayton, NY.

p101003204qp9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Love the 1,200 hp output of one of three engines, nice on fuel too!

p101003404qz7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Nice pics

The last time I went to the Charlotte auto show in NC, they had a tent set up with vehicles powered by these engines. Wild looking **** but kool, well worth checking out.

The RR Merlin is a great engine, but never installed in PT boats except for a prototype according to Wikipedia.

The aviation Packard Merlins were license built Rolls-Royce engines, the same one that powered the Spitfire, Hurricane and Lancaster. The P51 Mustang was an underperforming fighter until the Merlin was installed replacing the US designed and built Allison.

Last edited:
The RR Merlin is a great engine, but never installed in PT boats except for a prototype according to Wikipedia.

The aviation Packard Merlins were license built Rolls-Royce engines, the same one that powered the Spitfire, Hurricane and Lancaster. The P51 Mustang was an underperforming fighter until the Merlin was installed replacing the US designed and built Allison.
Yes, an entirely different engine. Packard went from dirt to 50'000 engines in maybe 3 years. Hitler thought it would take America till the early 70s to ramp up for the war. What a Maroon.

Last edited:
There is a guy in Canada that has one of these 2500ci monsters on a pulling tractor. When the stars line up and everything goes as planned it is quite an impressive site!. He struggles with crank problems alot.

This http://www.rodshop.com.au/project55.htm is worth a look.
Guy in Australia puts a Merlin in a 55 Chev and gets it licenced for the road.
I have seen this car in the metal and seen it run, that was somethhing to behold. I saw a 12 page (or half the mag from memory) article in Crusin' magazine that showed the whole build up. Thats one cool ride for the street!

Latest posts

Back