Packs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STIHLMAN83

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a good pack to pack in saw, gas, oil, etc. I have always used just a regular pack for gas and oil but I am looking for something that can hold at least a gallon or two of gas gallon of bar oil and saw. Along with files etc. I have found some online but looking for people who have actually used them and can say how they liked them.
Stay safe.

get a couple gyppo(don't get caught with them by the man) jugs, we use the yellow minute maid OJ jugs, for the gas and the gallon jug bar oil comes with a handle. Rope them up and through them on your shoulder and start walkin. Files and other small stuff in with your wedges and your off to workin.
Start off with 6 and 2 and you should be covered for a good solid hard day.

Owl

Although I usually carried my gas jugs the way Owl described, I never carried them in my packsack, however these are the best packsacks I have ever found:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/270670043031?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&rvr_id=183090430818&crlp=1_263602_304662&UA=%3F*S%3F&GUID=63ca696612b0a0aad4a70017ff8666f1&itemid=270670043031&ff4=263602_304662

I found them at Cabelas for $15 a piece and bought a bunch of them. They are tough, water resistant (My stuff never got wet when I worked in Southeast Alaska...13 feet of rain per year). I packed out four quarters, backstrap, rib and neck meat from sitka blacktail deer in them along with some other hunting gear.

get a couple gyppo(don't get caught with them by the man) jugs, we use the yellow minute maid OJ jugs, for the gas and the gallon jug bar oil comes with a handle. Rope them up and through them on your shoulder and start walkin. Files and other small stuff in with your wedges and your off to workin.
Start off with 6 and 2 and you should be covered for a good solid hard day.

Owl

Yup. And don't forget your lunch. Saw on your shoulder, axe in your belt, gypo jugs roped together. Some fallers I know might carry a small pack with a few spare chains, first aid kit and filters but it gets stashed early and picked up as needed or on the way out. No point in carrying more crap than you have to. Simple is better.

That stuff looks like it is for the rich people. . . .

holy buckets, cut me a break haha. I by no means hardly have a dime in my bank account. Just when I look into buying stuff, like packs, I want something that is built to last.

We use them at work to haul chainsaw parts, fuel, wedges ect and we also use them to haul the parts and fittings for our pumps and these packs stand up to a beating. They're a little discolored but the seams and straps and buckles are all still intact.

Im being general in that text. . not directed towards you. .

If they are durable & worth the money, then it is a different ballgame. There is stuff out there that you pay mostly for name and barely for quality. . .

Then again, a burlap sack is sturdy, excels in its job, and they run pretty cheap haha.

If you have to have a pack go to the nearest surplus store and get one there. Most of the time they are tough enough for a while and cheap if you are going to carry gas and oil in it. Just remember this though, that stuff will leak and if it's in a pack it will leak on you and you won't notice until it's to late. No going home to change when you leak on the way in in the morning.
Everyone has had that stuff on them, I just don't want it on my back from neck to crack and lower.

Owl

Try looking at duluth packs. They're a little spendy but they're tough as nails and should last you darn near forever. Ebay might have some on there for cheap

Packs - Camp & Hike - Outdoor Gear :: Duluth Pack :: Made in the USA :: Quality leather and canvas luggage, backpacks, camping, and outdoor gear,

I bought my son one of their pack baskets for canoe trips and was thinking that one of these with a plastic garbage bag as a liner (to keep spills from soaking your back) might work to pack in gear . Like the packs, they are not cheap but can be useful for other stuff . Room for gas, oil, and extra water, ax, spare chains etc .

True North

Here is a pack designed for carrying a chain saw and fire fighter gear.

True North Gear | Fire Fighting Equipment - Packs - Chainsaw Pack

If $205 before shipping scares you turn and run.

Wait, there's more:

For an additional $67 you can get a sack/pack segment that fits over the saw:

True North Gear | Fire Fighting Equipment - Wildland Fire - Packs - Go! Pack

There is a lot of flexibility to this gear set up and you can move things around.
It will allow you to remove the saw head holder and just use it as a regular fire fighter.
You should not even remotely consider using this for recreational hiking.

Some pockets are quick to move as they use the 'Alice Clips' (military) on the belt.

I worked for years as a Master Rigger.
I judge this pack to be well made and fairly priced.
Sorry, that's the kind of money it takes.

==============

Here is the deal.
It costs to design/develop/make these things.

I bought just the basic unit on eBay for 180 including shipping last year.
It was new. I think the seller was another company that had studied the product. Good deal for me as the base price was $195 last year.
I've made my own pack and I protect my bar/chain/muffler/dogs with my own sewn 3" fire hose outer.
(I've sewn a flared 'skirt' on the saw end that covers the dogs and muffler some)
If you're a pro cutter I would suggest some sort of bar/chain cover - I think the old fire hose is best, again the kind with two layers and you just use the outer sheath - as your sharp saw will cut their kevlar webbing holder eventually. Plus the bar heat etc.
Don't go for the newer 2 1/2" fire hose or the inner part of the 3". They are just too tight.
You'll have to go to your local fire department after they have tested their hose and are in the process of tossing the bad stuff.

If you have to pack a saw a long way or through terrain this pack is the cats meow.

Note. I also set up a slot on the pack so that I could take off the bar and it doesn't stick up so high for catching on brush/limbs.

A faller could take the Fire Shelter holder - for the new larger shelter BTW - and use that as a spot for lunch. Think jammed sandwich.
(The shelters are protected by a stiff plastic holder that would do OK for your lunch. However, you have worked with someone that would defeat that protection. Hopefully its not you.)

This pack doesn't include the shelter - they run around $300 - I got mine off eBay for just over $200 new.
(If you're a fire fighter I believe these are going to be required on federal fires this year: http://cgi.ebay.com/Fire-Shelter-wi...Protection&hash=item43a58f9f49#ht_1078wt_1141 )

It does have an OK spot for a falling axe.
But like the metal axe holders if you fall you could have a good bruise from the axe or tin holder - either way everybody falls sometime in the woods.

One thing some fire fighters do is transport their fuel in metal 'SIGG' bottles in basically canteen pockets. Generally fallers should ignore that. Fallers go through way too much fuel - they're messy people and fuel isn't becoming plus the jugs are a good way to do that business.

If you did want to buy the SIGG bottles they are expensive.
Try Brunton from SierraTradingPost
Brunton Fuel Bottle - 1 Liter, Aluminum - Save 71%
Goto the second item.
Be aware that you'll have to figure out your particular saws gas/oil ratio and .........

If you wait a few days you can get those for a buck cheaper as they are constantly moving their prices with online coupons and no-shipping deals.

BTW:
Go to MSR Fuel Bottle with CRP Cap - 20 fl. oz. at REI.com for a wake up.
SIGG MSR Brunton are all decent products with the first two being the best.

Hope this helps with sources and your daydreams

Last edited:
Hey Smoke great post. I'm suprised you don't use your chaps to pad the bar. I have several Pack Shack bar covers but yeah the outer jacket of 3" double jacket works well if you can still find a FD that use 3" DJ. It is heavy stuff!

Do you wear your chaps round backwards unclipped when you hike in or do you carry them?

Thanks for the link on the Brunton bottles!!! I scoop up MSR bottles whenever I find one. I do contract burning so I carry at least 6 for the hotshot drip torch. I still use old FSS web gear because I can use a fallers pouch and an aluminum axe scabbard on the belt. (I used to have Pack Shack but it only fit the old shelter, Cal Fire requires us falling contractors to carry the new shelter.) Of course for fire work I only carry MSR, and soon Brunton, bottles. I tried to find the pressure testing results for MSR/Sigg bottles but no luck. I think it was an NWCG document, maybe not.

If you are creative, look in the thrift stores for the Gerry baby packers. The frame looks similar to that spendy one. I got one, but messed it up in my first attempt.
Maybe I shall try again. Use canvas drop cloths for experimental models, then buy good fabric after you figure it out.

Backpacks for hauling babies/toddlers around are also common items in yard sales.

For a bar cover? Cut a foam sleeping pad (Walmarche has them) fold it, and duck tape it together. Works great and you have a padded bar also. Good to perch on when taking a break or filing the chain.

Back