Paint, black polish, or gray polish for iron stove?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engineeringnerd

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A friend just gave me a seldom used Englander 24-IC wood burning stove that had a lot of surface rust. I spent the day using a wire wheel to grind off the rust and clean the entire surface. Whew! Looks a lot better, but there are still tiny rust pockets in the pores of the iron.

Now the question is, how to recondition the surface. The original color is dark gray, although after brushing there are shiny and light spots. My wife would prefer the stove to be black but I'm not sure about changing the color.

I've heard that painting a stove in anything but pristine condition is dicey since rust will usually reform and/or the paint will peel or chip over time even if you are careful. I have seen black stove polish by Rutland that is a mixture of wax and black pigments. Rutland also has a sub-brand called Williams Wood Stove polish that is dark gray (my stoves color).

Questions:

1. Has anybody had long term success repainting an old rusty stove and what special steps did you take?

2. Has anybody used either of these stove polish products, and how did they perform?

3. Anybody ever tried changing the color of a stove from gray to black using black stove polish?

Back