Pallet Scrounging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reclaimed pallet wood is the new thing ,the barn stuff is through the roof for price these days .

Reclaimed pallet wood is the new thing ,the barn stuff is through the roof for price these days .
I see that stuff for sale all over here.

It appears this guy is just hoarding though. There is a big junk yard across the road from this spot but I didn't see a sign so I am not sure if the place is still in business or not.

theres a local lumber yard here that started buying/ selling reclaimed lumber/beams a few years ago, they re-saw a lot of the beams and make flooring and the like...they make a killing on that stuff and sell it all around the world...they also saw some custom lumber, and some of the stuff I see for sale is insane...like a 3' diameter white pine log maybe 8' long (fresh cut, not reclaimed) sawed it into 2" slabs and wanted $200+ per slab:dizzy::wtf: made over $1000 off a worthless log that would have rotted in the woods because it was junk quality... any other mill around here would have charged around $0.30 a BF to saw that...

theres a local lumber yard here that started buying/ selling reclaimed lumber/beams a few years ago, they re-saw a lot of the beams and make flooring and the like...they make a killing on that stuff and sell it all around the world...they also saw some custom lumber, and some of the stuff I see for sale is insane...like a 3' diameter white pine log maybe 8' long (fresh cut, not reclaimed) sawed it into 2" slabs and wanted $200+ per slab:dizzy::wtf: made over $1000 off a worthless log that would have rotted in the woods because it was junk quality... any other mill around here would have charged around $0.30 a BF to saw that...
As my neighbor used to say, there is a butt for every toilet seat....... I am amazed what people will overpay for in situations like you mentioned.

My BIL built a house and used "weathered" rough sawn pine for a room. It looks cool and if you didn't know what you were looking at you could easily assume the boards were scrounged from an old building.

As my neighbor used to say, there is a butt for every toilet seat....... I am amazed what people will overpay for in situations like you mentioned.

My BIL built a house and used "weathered" rough sawn pine for a room. It looks cool and if you didn't know what you were looking at you could easily assume the boards were scrounged from an old building.

I had ask the owner of this place about drying some wide pine flooring for me, as I have know him for a very long time, and he has a small ~ 1000 BF kiln...I asked him a few times and he never really gave me an answer, then right before I was about to saw the logs for it, I asked one more time, and he said no...but he was willing to sell me KD pine boards for $4.00 a BF up to 12" wide, and $5.00 a BF for 12"-14" wide...:confused::dizzy::buttkick:

ended up working a lot next to a manager of a local large kiln operation, traded him a truck load of low grade white pine logs that would have been chipped anyway (he has a little Lucas Mill) for drying ~2500 BF of lumber:rock: worked out good

I had ask the owner of this place about drying some wide pine flooring for me, as I have know him for a very long time, and he has a small ~ 1000 BF kiln...I asked him a few times and he never really gave me an answer, then right before I was about to saw the logs for it, I asked one more time, and he said no...but he was willing to sell me KD pine boards for $4.00 a BF up to 12" wide, and $5.00 a BF for 12"-14" wide...:confused::dizzy::buttkick:

ended up working a lot next to a manager of a local large kiln operation, traded him a truck load of low grade white pine logs that would have been chipped anyway (he has a little Lucas Mill) for drying ~2500 BF of lumber:rock: worked out good
Are you cutting tounge and groove on the flooring somehow ? How does the pine hold up to foot traffic ?

Are you cutting tounge and groove on the flooring somehow ? How does the pine hold up to foot traffic ?
Nope...square edge just like in the old days...
White pine has been used around here since the first houses were built...its no oak or maple but I love wide pine floors...Mine are 8"-20" wide, as that's how big my planer is...

I also face nailed the floor with Tremont cut nails...the oldest nail company in the country...same nails used in the first houses...
I have 8" shiplapped southern yellow pine on the first floor everywhere except the bathroom, which was here when I bought the house...and I did the whole upstairs with the white pine.
The syp is harder than the white, but I still prefer the wide white pine...

I just scrounged 4 pallets, 6' long x normal width from work. They sure looked funny up on the roof rack of my company 4runner. I should have taken a picture.

Latest posts

Back