Pallet Scrounging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope...square edge just like in the old days...
White pine has been used around here since the first houses were built...its no oak or maple but I love wide pine floors...Mine are 8"-20" wide, as that's how big my planer is...
I had a bunch of 5/4 x6 and 5/4 x12 that had been outside and weathered ,did the floor of my horse barn tack room with it ,looked cool till i put spar varnish on it :mad: ,turned it all brown from the grey it was ,i just took big tubes of subfloor glue ,glued the boards down to the subfloor ,then used 2 inch nails in my small 15 guage nailer in the joists ,nails are almost invisible ,just little dimples where they went in

I got a makita planer for x-mas last year ,used it for the deck doug fir flooring ,had several garbage cans of fir chips after .

I had a bunch of 5/4 x6 and 5/4 x12 that had been outside and weathered ,did the floor of my horse barn tack room with it ,looked cool till i put spar varnish on it :mad: ,turned it all brown from the grey it was ,i just took big tubes of subfloor glue ,glued the boards down to the subfloor ,then used 2 inch nails in my small 15 guage nailer in the joists ,nails are almost invisible ,just little dimples where they went in

I got a makita planer for x-mas last year ,used it for the deck doug fir flooring ,had several garbage cans of fir chips after .
I have a 20" grizzly industrial planer, I only planed around 1600BF of that pine, I hooked op a blower to it and blew the shavings into a dump truck 10' body with 4' sides filled it 3 times, gave it all to my neighbor for his horses...he was happy!

I have a 20" grizzly industrial planer, I only planed around 1600BF of that pine, I hooked op a blower to it and blew the shavings into a dump truck 10' body with 4' sides filled it 3 times, gave it all to my neighbor for his horses...he was happy!
wish i was your neighbor ,i have to get 10 bales of pine shavings after work

Read a study about actual amounts of wood in a cord.
Seems the average is anywhere from 75 to 90 cubic feet of wood, depending on how it's split and how it's stacked.
If it was a solid chunk of wood, max would be 128 cubic feet.
At 12 board feet per cubic foot that gives you 900 to 1080 board feet in a legal cord.

At 12 board feet per cubic foot that gives you 900 to 1080 board feet in a legal cord.
There was 100,000 bf of virgin white pine left in the lake at my hunting cabin when the loggers moved on in 1912. The wood was discovered to have some kind of rot that make the wood brittle. I was told you could break a 2x4 over your knee it was so brittle.

So that would make it about 100 cords give or take.

There was 100,000 bf of virgin white pine left in the lake at my hunting cabin when the loggers moved on in 1912. The wood was discovered to have some kind of rot that make the wood brittle. I was told you could break a 2x4 over your knee it was so brittle.

So that would make it about 100 cords give or take.
Likely a bit more than that...saw logs are estimated for board feet that can be sawn out of it...slabs and saw kerf would add alot of extra if it were firewood

Lately I've been scrounging plastic pallets. I came across about 500 in the past year. Everyone I know who burns firewood now stacks their wood on plastic pallets:D

Unfortunately my source has been drying up. It seemed like word was spreading and I had calls from "friends" I didn't know I had. Now I'm wishing I kept more than got rid of.

I got a bunch of pallets several yrs ago from my local lumber/building supply company. They were used for bringing in siding for houses. Each pallet is 12'x4' with solid planking in one side. They work great except they are extremely heavy to move by hand. I used 4 of them for the floor of my wood shed.

Lately I've been scrounging plastic pallets. I came across about 500 in the past year. Everyone I know who burns firewood now stacks their wood on plastic pallets:D

Unfortunately my source has been drying up. It seemed like word was spreading and I had calls from "friends" I didn't know I had. Now I'm wishing I kept more than got rid of.
I wish I could find 16 or 20 of those. I have 16 real nice wooden ones saved back at the warehouse at work that I need to get brought home.

One of the TSC's here will let ya walk with a good handful. Another place here, can't remember the name, will give you all you can stand to load and tie down.

I pick these up from a small shop on my way home. He sells snow plows, compact tractors/snowblowers and side by side utility vehicles. He sets them out by the curb when they are available, doesnt get much easier than that. The skids were a little dicy, didnt dare drive much over 45 mph. I stayed to the secondary roads on that trip.

We have a guy in town here who drives around in a big flat bed and collects pallets. He takes them back to his pallet yard and rebuilds any broken or damaged ones and then resells them. He has a route through town that he runs every day collecting them. If you can find any that he hasn't snagged already, you're pretty lucky.

I'll have to snap a pic the next I see him with a full load. It makes you wonder how they don't fall off sometimes.

Back