Panic!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Out the door to hit the woodpile for a spate of Fiskar fodder work. Hmmm...where is it? Not at the pile...not in the woodshed...nope, not in the small trailer. ...heart rate starting up...maybe it put it in the PU...nope...that empty hollow feellign sets in. Okay, shop.. Tie a rope around waist and start in (only a fool would enter there without a safety line)...nope.

Repeat at a faster pace. I have a habit of looking right at something and not seeing it.

Third time at almost a run and as a last resort try the car.

YES! Now WTH would I have put it in there? Ah, no I recall. I put it there last week to use to blaze some trees at a new site the owner was going to show me.

Bad news for scrounging. I lost, or at least put on hold "not for now", the trees around the house I found last week. They don't like the thought of me being there while they are gone and they are in the process of moving.

I'll follow up there with a letter giving some recommendations from the Sheriff, Jail commander, people I have cut from in the past...that and my oh, so innocent face may turn the trick ;)

Harry k

Being today was Friday, I was concerned you had to phone a flatfoot in order to fill out a form to file reporting that Frank from Farmington filched your favorite Fiskars, which would have made this firewood forum post famous, forever.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZKyEA6Ebvlk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
That's funny! I did the same thing this week!:laugh: Took me 3 days to find mine though, it was laying in the shed on the Speeco. Thought I was gonna have to buy a new one!

I did a similar thing, I picked up a grenade wedge, used it on 3 big round, and now I have no clue where it is. I think I may have stacked in with the wood, if I'm lucky I will find it next year when I burn that wood.

I did a similar thing, I picked up a grenade wedge, used it on 3 big round, and now I have no clue where it is. I think I may have stacked in with the wood, if I'm lucky I will find it next year when I burn that wood.

I did that once with a pair of glasses. Found them again 2 years later when I was stocking the wood shed.

Harry K

Awwwww, c’mon Harry, you should know better than that… flyin’ into a panic and all. You’ve been walkin’ this earth long enough now to realize that crap is gonna’ happen with age… and happen more often as the days pass.

That sort a thing started happenin’ to me ‘bout five years ago, when I rolled over the big Five-Zero on the life odometer. I seem to misplace things more and more often now-a-days; and half the time all I need to do is ask the wife if she’s seen it… She just smiles and says, “Yep, it’s sitting on the…” My nice old, broken-in, wooden-handled 13 oz carpenter hammer has been missing for near two years now… no panic, ‘cause I know it’ll just show-up someday, hanging exactly where I placed it the last time I used it. Problem is, for the life of me, I can’t remember when, or where that was! I have a lot of “spare stuff” now ‘cause I just go buy a another when I can’t find it… and of course, then the darn thing shows up when I do. I figure it’s like insurance, if I misplace one there’s always the spare.

Have you ever walked into the hardware store for something… but can’t remember what that something is? Or worse, walked out and can’t remember where you parked? Or worse yet, walked around the parking lot for 10 minutes looking for your pickup that ain’t there because you drove the car? My wife (10 years my junior) jokes that it won’t be long and she’ll haft’a hide all the guns and power tools so I don’t hurt myself (she also claims beer drinking adds to my confusion… so what does she know, right?). She also says that there ain’t any reason for her to squirrel-away a little cash like she used to do… ‘cause now-a-days she finds more than she needs just doing the laundry!

Glad ya’ found your axe though.

Gloves? I have no problem at all finding gloves when I need a pair. I must have about 2 dozen pairs, all left handed ones on the shelf. :)

I wonder why we keep the good left hand glove when the right wears out, or vice versa for the 'lefties'. Anyone ever found a use for one of them?

Harry K

I always seem to wear gloves out on both hands at the same time. The part where the thumb and first finger meet rips out of the left hand about the same time the tip of the middle finger wears out on the right one. But then I am somewhat ambidextrous. Just odd that different parts wear out on each hand.

What were we looking for....?

Philips head screw drivers, 1/4 inch drill bits, carpenter's pencils, the new tube of super glue...not the one that's been in the bottom of the junk drawer for three years, 13/64 files, and that special little thin hooked Stihl tool for cleaning out bar grooves.

And gloves.

I'll tell you what I really hate, frantically looking around for something when you got the dang things in your hand.

Wasn't three weeks ago i was fixin to run off to the store, and couldn't find the keys anywhere. Finally, after the third trip through the kitchen my wife looks up and asks, "Hon, what are you looking for?"

"Well, I was going to the store, now I cant find the dang keys anywhere for the truck."

She just smiled, and asked me to open my right hand. Right there were the keys. I had been hauling them around the entire time after I absentmindedly dug them out of my pocket.

Wow, I am getting old.

I'll tell you what I really hate, frantically looking around for something when you got the dang things in your hand.

Wasn't three weeks ago i was fixin to run off to the store, and couldn't find the keys anywhere. Finally, after the third trip through the kitchen my wife looks up and asks, "Hon, what are you looking for?"

"Well, I was going to the store, now I cant find the dang keys anywhere for the truck."

She just smiled, and asked me to open my right hand. Right there were the keys. I had been hauling them around the entire time after I absentmindedly dug them out of my pocket.

Wow, I am getting old.

!!! How did you know I just did that? Picked up the stuff I needed in town to take out to the car. needded to get in the trunk. no keys. Looked every place they usually hang out including in a pair of pants I hadn't worn in a week. Finally carried the stuff out to the car figuring I'd come back and dig out the spare set. Keys landed on the seat with the rest of the stuff.

Harry K

Tape measures. Whenever I can't find one of my 400 tapes, I go buy a new one.

Actually, the worst thing I do is when I'm doing a big job (like a complete kitchen remodel) and I'm not able to find something I bought. I can't remember if I actually bought it or not, so I go buy another. My record so far is buying something FOUR times. Fortunately it was something small, like toilet bolts or something like that -( I can't remember now - are you surprised?) but I do remember having to take three of the same item to the store at the end of the job.

I've also discovered tools several years after I misplaced them. Some people tell me "I wonder what you're going to be like when you're old." I don't think I'll make it to 'old!'

Lost stuff almost always means I'm distracted somehow. Mornings are usually a routine for me. But If I break it up too much, well, the fun begins. Lost my glasses once after putting them on. Realized after about 15 mins that I could clearly see they weren't in all the normal places. Clearly see... not blurry... Ok I know just where they are. I've lost gloves that I'm wearing, too. My boy carries my gloves all over the house. I'll find one and put it on. Then I get distracted and hurried looking for the other. I find it but for the life of me can't remember where I put the first one. Lost coffee cups really get me frosted. I hate finding a cold cup of coffee in the car or in the barn because I lost track of where I'd set it. I have learned that most people tend to set stuff down in places below shoulder height and above waist height so I've gotten really good at finding those "I just had it!" things. At the shop tools can get scattered across several jobs with people asking all sorts of questions while I'm working. Best advice I've got for lost stuff on the job is when you're losing tools or supplies you just had it's time to start picking up regardless if it's the middle of the job. Long term you cut down on wasted time. Because maybe ya lose the tape or the hammer, then get another, now you've added to the mess that's hiding what's lost. Something else is going to disappear, and soon. Picking up gives you a mental inventory of what's where. And try to keep disciplined to put stuff away at the end of the day so you don't lose it.

Harry K, don't ever, ever lose the safety line for the shop. If you can't be pulled out with the rope there isn't much chance of finding a volunteer willing to go exploring to get ya.

Latest posts

Back