parade 2007

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
P7040006.jpg

It isn't everyday that you get to see a log splitter driving down main street!
I really liked the kid who said "nice tractor". I thought the log was a clue......:jester:

-Pat

That's a neat idea, put a bigger engine on it and cart behind it and you could leave your ATV at home when you go out on the woodlot. Drive what you are going to split with and it brings the wood back to the truck too.

Ian

Ha!

Drive it to the woodlot.... What did you think I was doing anyway...
I haul home blocks, and the split when I get a chance.

Engine is large enough, 15hp Kohler. Pump could use a upgrade, 16gpm.

The after I ran the parade I was loading it back onto the trailer when it went snap. Grenaded the coupler motor-drive axle, again. :(

-Pat

sweet! lol you and your splitter are lookin' good!
whats next, slotted mag wheels and some wide whites?

also what kind of coupler are you using that you keep having trouble with? I have been using sprokets as couplers on a number of things from pump drives to aircraft tug transmission to axle couplings (with a 350 hp chevy v8 under the hood)

i dont want to steal your thread but I have had some luck with this...

this is one for my splitter hyd pump.
7463380-R1-029-13.jpg

one for an aircraft tug after I was done with the machine work
6337280-R1-045-21.jpg

installed in the TH400 trans and on the drive axle, still in the mock up stage in the photo. FYI the engine, trans and axle are mounted solid in this tug/tractor...
P.jpg

Last edited:
so the thread was mis-directed....

You do some fine, fine work there!

This is a much simpler problem. I can explain. No pix (yet).

Differential has a small plate bolted to the ears with a short pipe welded to it, centered.... There is a 5/8 hole drilled crosswise in the pipe.

Then the piece that broke was a LO-95 lovejoy coupler. 1 inch bore, to fit the hydraulic motor. I removed the ears and welded a piece of pipe to this one as well, with the cross wise hole.

Drive shaft is simply a piece of pipe that slides over the ends with 1/2 bolts for pins. Worked like a charm, at this low RPM. However!!!

Two things went wrong. 1st, I know I am not supposed to MIG weld to cast iron.... Second the cast iron Lovejoy coupler is rated at 16 ft. lb. The motor can go well over 100 ft. lb. torque.... ka ching :bang:

What I am going to replace it with is a 1 inch chaft coupler made of steel! The rest of it is just fine as far as I am concerned.... could be better, but I need to get this thing splitting wood quickly! :biggrinbounce2:

-Pat

lol yeah I know what you mean, and thats my problem, I spend way to much time designing and building my stuff and not enough using it in a year! but I have fun non the less, love fabricating, repairing, and machining...

good luck on your repair....

The fix is in

I will get the right woodruff key tomorrow, but it is moving again. I split a couple of cords today.

I see no reason to upgrade my pipe drive. It works well.
How much torque is a 1 inch shaft coupler rated for? Since I cut one in half, I have a "spare" in case this one blows apart :blob2:

Otherwise it is a lot of fun, and self propelled is the only way to go!

Latest posts

Back