Parrotia persica

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thillmaine

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anybody familiar with the Parrotia tree? Has bark like a kousa dogwood, but buds and branch structure something like a beech.. Also leaves are simil;ar ot beech.

Parrotia persica is a beautiful tree. Fall color is spectacular, like a big Fothergilla, but even more vivid. Plant it in well-drained soil, it will not tolerate compacted conditions. Starts out as an upright oval shape, but matures with strong horizontal structure. One particular specimen that I planted for a customer a few years ago is doing extremely well, no pest or pathogen problems to date. It should grow well in the Boston area.

Every one of them that I have pruned here, has been very nice.

Nicely formed, nice structure to work with, both short-term and long term.

Parrotia

One of my favorite trees. I had one at my old house and am still trying to figure out how to get it back. The gal who bought the house from me said she wanted to plant roses where the tree was so I told her to let me know if she ever wanted it out. I have not seen the fall color here in Idaho yet but I have not made it to see the more established ones (there are only two big ones I have seen around) I do love the branching and overall form. All the info I have read on it makes it sound like a tough tree but the jury is still out here, like I said I watch my old one and two I have planted for folks here. We had a good fall color year this year but all I saw was yellow. I'll continue to plant this tree.

I forgot, it is in the witchhazel family and blooms prior to leaf set which is an interesting characteristic. With age it should have a bark similar to sycamore with multiple layers and colors. A real four season tree if you can get fall color.

Latest posts

Back