Partner 500 exhaust excessive smoke

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

challenger

Cheese is good.
Reaction score
My only saw running now is my old Partner 500 I bought in 1982-4. Can't remember exactly the year I got it but I bought it brand new. I don't cut much wood and this saw was hanging on my shop wall for a year or so without running. I fueled it up and it started fine but I noticed there was a crack in, what I suppose is, the vent for the fuel tank. It is a 2-piece line with a filter or valve in line in the carburetor area. As mentioned it runs well EXCEPT it seems to smoke a lot more than I think it should. I use Amsoil Sabre 100:1 oil mixed at 50:1.
Could the cracked vent line be adding to the smoke in the exhaust?
Thanks

My only saw running now is my old Partner 500 I bought in 1982-4. Can't remember exactly the year I got it but I bought it brand new. I don't cut much wood and this saw was hanging on my shop wall for a year or so without running. I fueled it up and it started fine but I noticed there was a crack in, what I suppose is, the vent for the fuel tank. It is a 2-piece line with a filter or valve in line in the carburetor area. As mentioned it runs well EXCEPT it seems to smoke a lot more than I think it should. I use Amsoil Sabre 100:1 oil mixed at 50:1.
Could the cracked vent line be adding to the smoke in the exhaust?
Thanks
Rebuild the carb with a new kit/clean air filter/change spark plug/use Stihl or Husqvarna 2 stroke oill at 40:1. Fix the vent hose so your saw doesn't leak fuel when you tip it on its side.

If the oil pump on that saw is vacuum/pressure operated, it's possible that the pump diaphram or gasket is not correctly sealed and allowing bar oil to be sucked into the combustion chamber. The vent for the fuel tank shouldn't have anything at all to do with it.

If the oil pump on that saw is vacuum/pressure operated, it's possible that the pump diaphram or gasket is not correctly sealed and allowing bar oil to be sucked into the combustion chamber. The vent for the fuel tank shouldn't have anything at all to do with it.
Oil pump on a Partner 500 is gear driven..............

How much have you run the saw since it sat. If not much then it could be something as simple as the saw sitting for a long time. If you've been running it regularly then I'd check the carb settings and/or do a carb rebuild.

How much have you run the saw since it sat. If not much then it could be something as simple as the saw sitting for a long time. If you've been running it regularly then I'd check the carb settings and/or do a carb rebuild.

I've not run it in at least a year but, being it's two stroke, I didn't think this would have any effect on smoking. Are you referring to stuck rings?
As for a carb rebuild I'm wondering how this would make a difference? Not questioning the suggestion-just trying to understand the reason. Too rich?
I've used the amsoil in all my 2-cycle engines. I have no problem trying another oil but this saw and others as well as 6 or more engines seem OK with it. Cheap enough to give some other oil a try so I'll take this advice for a test spin.
I've looked pretty hard for a parts source and literature and am having trouble. Is there another saw that's basically the same but has non obsolete parts?
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Beekeeping for chordoma

I've not run it in at least a year but, being it's two stroke, I didn't think this would have any effect on smoking. Are you referring to stuck rings?
As for a carb rebuild I'm wondering how this would make a difference? Not questioning the suggestion-just trying to understand the reason. Too rich?
I've used the amsoil in all my 2-cycle engines. I have no problem trying another oil but this saw and others as well as 6 or more engines seem OK with it. Cheap enough to give some other oil a try so I'll take this advice for a test spin.
I've looked pretty hard for a parts source and literature and am having trouble. Is there another saw that's basically the same but has non obsolete parts?
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Beekeeping for chordoma
If you are curious carefully removing the muffler will divulge the condition of your piston/cylinder. An issue internally can make the saw smoke more than it should. Some parts may be available through the dealer using cross referencing etc. such as carb kits, muffler mounting bolts and piston and rings. The majority of parts are obsolete for sure due to the age and brand of saw. If the saw has good compression and lubricates the bar as it should the saw is well worth the effort. 2 stroke carbs get gummy sitting around too long, diaphrams dry out thus not allowing the carb to do its job. Picture of the patient would be nice.......................the saw that is

u5emysy7.jpg

Here is the patient sporting the latest in broken recoil cover & lost metal grommet winter wear.
Not the best looker on this site but she does give me "wood".
As a matter of fact taking this bit of saw **** gave me a "semi".
I'm 56 but I can still do it twice.
I like the one in the Spring the best ':).
I'll look for a carb kit & thanks.

Beekeeping for chordoma

Hi, I own 5 or 6 of the 500 series and the same amount of the 5000 plus series and have been running only Partner since 83. Buy a bottle of stihl or Husky oil mix up some new gas with the CORRECT ratio and run her. I don't think your carb is the issue, but put a kit in it if you feel the need, if its smoking too much? you have too much oil in the mix. My opinion only your results may vary. good luck Jeff

K10-wat is the carb kit you require for your WA82/a carburetor. Purchase the oem WALBRO kit so you don't have issues with the rebuild. Hope your "wooding" improves after the repairs are complete!

u5emysy7.jpg

Here is the patient sporting the latest in broken recoil cover & lost metal grommet winter wear.

Beekeeping for chordoma
u5emysy7.jpg

Beekeeping for chordoma[/quote
u5emysy7.jpg

Beekeeping for chordoma[/quote]

K10-wat is the carb kit you require for your WA82/a carburetor. Purchase the oem WALBRO kit so you don't have issues with the rebuild. Hope your "wooding" improves after the repairs are complete!

u5emysy7.jpg

Beekeeping for chordoma[/quote
u5emysy7.jpg

Beekeeping for chordoma
[/quote]

Thanks-I am going to get a kit but will first try the new fuel with new oil. It's the easiest and cheapest thing to try.
I like having a kit for all my carbs on hand if possible because getting one locally is a cr@p shoot and/or 3X the price of online merchandisers.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back