Partner 5000 Plus aftermarket piston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmurph

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
Reaction score
The 5000+ is a remarkable saw. It is a very strong 50cc saw and compare favorably with many modern offerings in this size class. I have it on good advice that they port up stronger than 346's. There are many of these saws sitting under garages everywhere. The problem has been that if the piston needs replacing, there is not a bolt and go replacement. Recently an aftermarket 5K+ piston popped on the market. I have a couple of these saws needing a new slug. I bought one to see if they are worth a further look. Here are the pics. I hope to get it installed this weekend. I included a used, but usable, OEM for comparison.

096.JPG 083.JPG

Attachments

• 087.JPG
    087.JPG
    196.3 KB · Views: 9
Overall, it looks to be a very nice copy. It needs a little touch up but not a lot. The ring gap is .006 and the ring is nice and stiff. I plan to assemble it with the provided ring, check compression, and then possibly replace the ring with a Caber. I'm looking for 180psi or so without any run-time. I have a nice example 5K+ and it blows 188psi without any mods and with .035" squish. The clips use the same diameter as OEM 346, so that's what I will use to put it together.

Im anxiously waiting. It makes one of my eyebrows raise on these piston. I would of thought the demand would be significant to have price higher than the standard meteor.

Joey

Hopefully this is a useful question: Will the AM piston work in a Jonsered 490? It's my understanding the Jred 490 is basically a Partner 5000+.

Yes, it is the same saw, save the paint job.

The Jred 590 is the same P/C as the CP55, though I have heard that the CP55's combustion chamber is a little larger. I have a NOS CP55 P/C in the shop. I will compare it to a 590 when I have time.

Yes, it is the same saw, save the paint job.

The Jred 590 is the same P/C as the CP55, though I have heard that the CP55's combustion chamber is a little larger. I have a NOS CP55 P/C in the shop. I will compare it to a 590 when I have time.

The 490 usually lacks the handle connector (or whatever it is called), doesn't it?

I have read the same about the 590 vs. CP55 combusion chambers, but don't know for sure....

Last edited:
Hey Neal, what is the bore on that? Maybe an option for others also?

How is the surgery healing up?

44mm. I will get some more dimensions tonight/tomorrow.

The elbow is good some days, and some days it hurts about as bad as before. I still don't start 125's with my left arm without pulling the decomp:laugh:.

Overall, it looks to be a very nice copy. It needs a little touch up but not a lot. The ring gap is .006 and the ring is nice and stiff. I plan to assemble it with the provided ring, check compression, and then possibly replace the ring with a Caber. I'm looking for 180psi or so without any run-time. I have a nice example 5K+ and it blows 188psi without any mods and with .035" squish. The clips use the same diameter as OEM 346, so that's what I will use to put it together.

I can hear that 5000 screaming way up here in Pa. It is saying please don't run me with that aftermarket ring. You can check my compression but please don't run me without the caber ring.

Later
Dan

Latest posts

Back