Partner Chainsaw Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I disable them all, they just seem to work better without it. I've had no problems yet. As far as adjustment, I always have the carb apart anyway so I just adjust it to whatever it needs when I'm done.

If it's a 420 it probably has a tilly HS, so yes it will have a govener.

Well I just put a kit in the carb and there is no govenor on this tillotson.I think my other old partners may have walbro's maybe ?

Last edited:
Hey all,

My 5000+ starter cover has just disintegrated on me. I was just getting started on my firewood for next season! Can anyone send me in the right direction to find a part? I have looked in the classifieds here and on a few suppliers websites without any luck.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Craig

Well what i did was, in my state we have a buy sell swap trade magazine and I placed an add for parts and I ended up with quite a few 5000 calls try that.

Well I just put a kit in the carb and there is no govenor on this tillotson.I think my other old partners may have walbro's maybe ?

Yes, apparently there were some with no govenor, depending on the series. I think you're lucky, they work better. I have more luck with walbros in general.

Hey all,

My 5000+ starter cover has just disintegrated on me. I was just getting started on my firewood for next season! Can anyone send me in the right direction to find a part? I have looked in the classifieds here and on a few suppliers websites without any luck.

Cheers,

Craig

The cover itself disintegrated, or the guts did?

Try these guys:Home Page

Or these guys are closer to home for you and may have some of the internal pieces:

Banta Saw - Small Engine Parts and Accessories - Home Page

Hey all,

Cheers,

Craig

How pretty do you need it to be?????

Mike

Yes, apparently there were some with no govenor, depending on the series. I think you're lucky, they work better. I have more luck with walbros in general.

I am fixing this for a friend ( leed mechanic at a large garage ?) I will pick up a plug today I changed the fuel lines while i was in there.Then promtly put her all back together without the jet screws. Had to go put em in while i was thinking about it,.... man my mind somtimes !

I am fixing this for a friend ( leed mechanic at a large garage ?) I will pick up a plug today I changed the fuel lines while i was in there.Then promtly put her all back together without the jet screws. Had to go put em in while i was thinking about it,.... man my mind somtimes !

Yeah, they won't run worth a #### without those screws. :D.

Been there too. I put a jug back on one time and tightened it all down with no piston in it.:(

Function over form

How pretty do you need it to be?????

Mike

Hi Mike,

I am much more concerned about having a working part. The pull line and wheel are in alright shape (I am assuming I can reuse them). The grill on the casing is shattered and no longer supports the mechanism. As long as the outer casing is intact I am interested.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Craig

Up date on the r-20

The saw runs well new gas line plug,and carb kit.But the recoil seems to be sticking in the fully extended position?.
I have taken it apart and lubed the spring it was very rusty.While apart i noticed somthing about the spring.In its coiled state there is a 1/2 or 3/4 wrap of what looks like spring material wraped around the "almost center" of the spring it looks like it is supposed to be there, like it is keeping the center portion of the coil in the center of the opening for the recoil mech to fit into. Has anyone seen anything like this before?.I do really believe the half circle of steel thing is supposed to be there, this saw has maybe 10 coards of wood on it, she is in very very good condition. But this recoil issue has me stumped the only other thing I can think of is the rope is a very large diameter and is very stiff origional most likely.

Last edited:
The saw runs well new gas line plug,and carb kit.But the recoil seems to be sticking in the fully extended position?.
I have taken it apart and lubed the spring it was very rusty.While apart i noticed somthing about the spring.In its coiled state there is a 1/2 or 3/4 wrap of what looks like spring material wraped around the "almost center" of the spring it looks like it is supposed to be there, like it is keeping the center portion of the coil in the center of the opening for the recoil mech to fit into. Has anyone seen anything like this before?.I do really believe the half circle of steel thing is supposed to be there, this saw has maybe 10 coards of wood on it, she is in very very good condition. But this recoil issue has me stumped the only other thing I can think of is the rope is a very large diameter and is very stiff origional most likely.

It could be that the rope is too long and unwinding everything too far. I'd cut a few inches off the rope and try it. It shouldn't be though if it's original. If the saws been sitting it may take a while for everything to get back in the groove.

You may need to put an extra turn of preload on the spring too and see if that works.

It could be that the rope is too long and unwinding everything too far. I'd cut a few inches off the rope and try it. It shouldn't be though if it's original. If the saws been sitting it may take a while for everything to get back in the groove.

You may need to put an extra turn of preload on the spring too and see if that works.

Let me ask you this, what is the right way to wind on the rope, pre load and all?

Partner up for grabs

...don't know if I'm opening up a can of worms...

I have a Partner that someone was getting rid of. It looks to be in pretty good condition. The piston looks good through the exhaust port.
The spark plug boot is torn. One of the bar mounting bolts is stripped. (I haven't tried to fire it up for fear I'll want to keep it!)
I'd like to pass it along if anyone is interested. Please see the pix for model, etc. as I'm not sure what it is.
I'm willing to put it in a box and mail it out, but it is heavy ...I just want to be reimbursed for postage, or you can pick it up if you're around Fairfield County, CT...

View attachment 232107View attachment 232109View attachment 232111View attachment 232113

Do you have any Idea what shipping would be to Maine?
I have a few old partners and can always use the parts or maybe get her running? I also have a Remington super 75 that I have been working on that maybe we can swap if you want it. I just put a carb kit in it and got her running but she is old and in need of love.The oil tank was leaking and I fixed that the recoil was broken and I fixed that. The orig bar had a stuck tip and that is now good and the chain was stiff and that is now Much better it will travel around the bar when running.But it throws the chain and I need to get the clutch off to put a washer in back of the star sproket and that will be fixed ( I hope.) To be honest I just dont feel the love for Remington that I do for Partner.I have built quite a few Partners this winter and have the bug. The Rem is missing the air cleaner cover though and I have none for it.If you go to the Remington thread and look for me around page 48 or so you can see the pictures and follow her story along. We are going on Vacation Friday for 2 weeks so if you are interested let me know and I will get my son to ship it while I am gone. Either way good luck.

That looks like an R16, the precursor to the 55. I have one and it is pretty strong for 55cc.

Yeah, I think thats what it is too. There's one somewhere in my shed that I've never fooled with.

Latest posts

Back