Partner Chainsaw Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up a couple of saws this week. My mickey mouse camera doesn't take very good pics.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Chris, if you need any av mounts, let me know. I think I have new ones left, but I know for sure I have good used ones. Or any other parts.

Picked up a couple of saws this week.
You can't really see very well, but that is almost 200 psi on the 5000.:msp_smile: The 500 in the background is cosmetically quite rough, but it's going to be a runner with a little fuel system work. The guy told me the chain brake screwed up and he shelved it.
The 5000+ just needs a couple of A/V mounts fixed. Runs good.:rock:

Nice pick up Chris - those little Partners are real fun to run. On thing worries me whenever I restore one is the potential air leak around the intake boot and impulse nipple. Like the the Husky 55 I see this as a real weakness. I have never had a problem but I have taken to assembling them with a little Threebond 1194, hoping it will keep a good seal. I am sure someone will say that is a bad thing to do because if the boot and impulse seal are good that should be enough. What do you guys do?

Al.

Nice pick up Chris - those little Partners are real fun to run. On thing worries me whenever I restore one is the potential air leak around the intake boot and impulse nipple. Like the the Husky 55 I see this as a real weakness. I have never had a problem but I have taken to assembling them with a little Threebond 1194, hoping it will keep a good seal. I am sure someone will say that is a bad thing to do because if the boot and impulse seal are good that should be enough. What do you guys do?

Al.

I have not run into problems there either but I figure like you, a little insurance cant hurt any.

And Mark, half of the ones I get don't have the little 5mm nuts holding the carb tight and rely on the air filter cover nuts to do it. Man, that annoys me.

I picked up a really nice 500 last week with an interesting provenance. I bought in a town near where my inlaws live and had to wait until visiting there over Christmas to pick it up. The guy said be bought it new, had used it a couple of times but didn't need it any more. He told me this on the phone and I have heard this before so wasn't expecting much. Well the saw is lovely and looks to be on the original chain. But what really got me is when he gave me what I thought was a new carry bag with Husqvarna logo on it. At first I didn't take much notice but when I got home I noticed the metal chain brake on the saw on the bag.

DSC00343_zps74a989e6.jpg

I looked inside and all the original documentation was there - including the bill of sale from the 3rd of August 1984. I couldn't believe it was $399.00. And how about the dealer charging him $1.90 for the grinding stone? Great customer relations there! Inside one of the pamplets the dealer has written '$399.00 with 15" bar' and under that he wrote '$479.00' but didn't say what it was for. I wonder if it was a 5000? Probably more likey an S55 or S65 which I can remember being heavily promoted back then.
I paid $329 for a new Poulan 3400 two years earlier - I reckon I got a bretter deal.

scan0001_zpsdb499c42.jpg

DSC00344_zpsff55380e.jpg

I will post up some pics of the saw when I can.

Al.

And Mark, half of the ones I get don't have the little 5mm nuts holding the carb tight and rely on the air filter cover nuts to do it. Man, that annoys me.

I picked up a really nice 500 last week with an interesting provenance. I bought in a town near where my inlaws live and had to wait until visiting there over Christmas to pick it up. The guy said be bought it new, had used it a couple of times but didn't need it any more. He told me this on the phone and I have heard this before so wasn't expecting much. Well the saw is lovely and looks to be on the original chain. But what really got me is when he gave me what I thought was a new carry bag with Husqvarna logo on it. At first I didn't take much notice but when I got home I noticed the metal chain brake on the saw on the bag.

DSC00343_zps74a989e6.jpg

I looked inside and all the original documentation was there - including the bill of sale from the 3rd of August 1984. I couldn't believe it was $399.00. And how about the dealer charging him $1.90 for the grinding stone? Great customer relations there! Inside one of the pamplets the dealer has written '$399.00 with 15" bar' and under that he wrote '$479.00' but didn't say what it was for. I wonder if it was a 5000? Probably more likey an S55 or S65 which I can remember being heavily promoted back then.
I paid $329 for a new Poulan 3400 two years earlier - I reckon I got a bretter deal.

scan0001_zpsdb499c42.jpg

DSC00344_zpsff55380e.jpg

Al.

Always adds to the experience when you get stuff like that with the saw

'86:hmm3grin2orange:
Very nice!!

Neal, that is actually an Aussie '4' making it 1984. Nearly 29 years ago and I wish I could say it was before I was born but I'd actually been married four years by then - and I didn't marry young!

Al.

Always adds to the experience when you get stuff like that with the saw

Tim, I wish I had kept the original paperwork for my Poulan 3400. Still remember the neat booklet and its helpful hints. It told me to run her on 16:1 and boy did it smoke!

Al.

Last edited:
Thanks for that Ed - and you make it sound so dirty..:msp_biggrin:

LOL :laugh:

I should have time tomorrow to round up your P62 stuff. I'll take it to the Post Office Monday and see how bad the shipping will of won't be. :msp_confused:
I don't think it should be too bad, I don't think it will be over a few pounds.
PM me your addy so I can get a cost.

Ed, you are a little gem. This is out of context, but my dad used to sell Pioneers back in the 60's and 70's. My earliest memory of a chainsaw is him using a yellow, loud saw to drop a huge gum tree. That would have been 1959 or 1960 before we shifted to the new house.
PM sent

Al.

Ed, you are a little gem. This is out of context, but my dad used to sell Pioneers back in the 60's and 70's. My earliest memory of a chainsaw is him using a yellow, loud saw to drop a huge gum tree. That would have been 1959 or 1960 before we shifted to the new house.
PM sent

Al.

Al thats a nice find with the documents! If you ever get a chance it would be nice if you could scan them into PDF files. I have a later version of the 500/5000plus manual but not that earlier version. The brochures would be neat to have as well.

I got no room to talk though, I have had a stack of things setting on my desk to scan for a little while now.

DSC00343_zps74a989e6.jpg

scan0001_zpsdb499c42.jpg

DSC00344_zpsff55380e.jpg

Al.

Neat info and to see the other 2 books.

When I got this heated handle 5000 off the original owner I got some paperwork with it too.

another5000001.jpg

Neat info and to see the other 2 books.
When I got this heated handle 5000 off the original owner I got some paperwork with it too.

Ooh, that is a pretty 5000 Plus. How come new saws don't look so nice?

Al thats a nice find with the documents! If you ever get a chance it would be nice if you could scan them into PDF files. I have a later version of the 500/5000plus manual but not that earlier version. The brochures would be neat to have as well.

I got no room to talk though, I have had a stack of things setting on my desk to scan for a little while now.

I have a bunch of old pamphlets and brochures (lots of J'red) and you are right mark, they need to be scanned and shared. I'll put it on my honey-do list!

Al.

5000 with maybe clutch issue need advice please

I have one of my 5000's that I cannot seem to get the chain to stop moving and still idel high enough to keep running. If I adjust the low speed jet to the correct position so she reves quick when throttled up then it seems to be idleing too high. The chain is moving too fast to work safely in the woods with.
Sooo I turn the idle down so that the chain stops turning and the saw will not idle high enough to keep it running well,... it stalls out.
So I got to wondering if the issue may lie in the clutch ? What can cause this to happen? if I tear down the clutch into its peices and clean everything is that all you can do to the clutch?
Any advice? thanks Jeff

Last edited:
Back