Partner S65 chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyweder

Reaction score
Got a question for you guys. Thinking about purchasing a Partner S-65 chainsaw. My father has a Partner P-70 that absolutely rips, so I was wondering if the S-65 would have about the same power and reliability. Is it as good of a saw as the P-70? Would the S-65 handle a 22 inch bar? If not, do you have any other suggestions for good used, big, powerful saw. Thanks for your help!!

Everyone needs a good Partner!

I can tell you both the P70 and S65 are good saws. I've got several Partners, based on the R16 type frame, ranging from 55 to 70 cc's, and a P85. I've grown to love the parts interchangability, over nearly 20 year production. (evidence these saws were ahead of their time, around 1970) The "Pxx" series dates from the late '70s, whereas the "Sxx" series is early 80's. The three and four number series emerged mid 80's. I've got both P70 and S65s, with 7 pin sprockets and 22 inch bars. The 65 is more "used", so it may be a little more tired, but they are pretty close - especially in torque. A problem all these saws have is too restrictive mufflers. The mufflers are also prone to getting bashed in on the front. I haven't found the "perfect" way to mod the muffler, but you can get quite a bit of the baffle out with a dremel through the inlet, and open the louvers on the outlet. Tune the carb by proper procedure and you should be good to go. If you can find a P85, it's a powerhouse! Good luck! Parts are getting a little hard to find, but I usually pick up parts saws reasonably. Remember, these are now "vintage" category. Even I must admit to running newer saws for most my wood cutting, but I love to burn a couple tanks through each old Partner when the landing is full.

Last edited:
If anyone has a good P100 for sale, I'd be interested in adding to my collection. It has to be a good runner though, as my spare parts box is mostly for the smaller saws. Thanks. Drop me a PM.

I have a partner P-85. It is a power house. I modded the muffler by taking the exhaust tube out. It was slightly over 1/2" OD. In it's place, I welded a piece of 3/4" conduit with large inlet holes drilled in it. It really woke the saw up. I fitted a bumperspike to it to save the muffler as well. Do the oil pumps on these pump when the chain isn't moving? when mine idles it oozes oil throught the top of the chain by the oil port. I need a set of oil plates if anyone has them as well.

bouden said:
......The "Pxx" series dates from the late '70s, whereas the "Sxx" series is early 80's. The three and four number series emerged mid 80's. .......
The P70 was a pro 70 cc saw and the S65 a 65 cc "semi-pro".
The 2 mm wider bore of the P70 should have resulted in a bit more power, but I have never seen any proof of it - the only ratings I have seen is 3.1 kW/4.1 hp for the P70 and 4 hp for the older 65 cc R420. I would not be surpriced if the S65 was slightly downrated compared to the R420, but who knows???? :confused:

In my book 4 hp seem a bit low for a 22" bar, but it really depends on what sort of cutting speed you expect, and your wood.

Last edited:
Sorry MOE, I don't. There is very little info available on the power output of the larger than 55 cc Partner saws.
What I can tell you is that the 55, 65 and 70cc saws weighted about the same, and so did the larger frame 85 and 100 cc saws. These weighted about 2 kg (between 4 and 5 lbs) more.

My partly educated guess is that the P85 put out hps in the low to mid 5's, and the P100 about one hp more for the same weight.

The P85 was introduced in april 1975 according to CSCC.

Last edited:
SawTroll, you're right, a 22" bar may be a little much for 4hp, but in my part of the country, I rarely have enough "big" wood to fully bury the bar. Occasionally I might have a big white ash that will test the power, but I just use patience instead of power, or fire my 288XP. I never thought about the S and P designation as semi-pro and pro, even though the side decals are right there!! I have had many of these saws (small frame) apart, and I can't tell any difference in the bottom end. They all used the same stroke, and the top ends interchange. One S50 (55cc) I have does have a different looking piston style. All the porting looks very similar. Carbs do vary by model. Partner used marketing more than engineering changes to differentiate models and fill the line. The F (farmer) series was more "frugal", with minimal decals, spur-type clutches, and generally no anti-vibe handles. Some later models were switched to plastic recoil housings. But after owning a few Husky's now, where it seems like most parts are "just a little different" between models, Partner really had a good thing going on part standardization. In fact, my first Partner R19 was found sticking out of a snow bank while I was hunting some big paper company land. It looked as if it was there at least a couple years. I knew my neighbor had a blown S55, and after some parts exchange, I had a great runner. I guess I got bit by the bug right there, because now I've got over ten good runners, most of them built up the same way.

Last edited:
My P-85 has been a cheap work horse too. I got it for $50 and spent $40 on a new air filter, gas cap and bucking spike. It has a 20" but I may set it up with a big bar for stumps. I have a dolmar 7900 that does cut faster but I can lean on the p-85 a lot more before it slows down.

There were lots of different Partner saws in the 1970's, and at first glance most of them look about the same. The body parts are all yellow on most models, but some semi-pro models had black parts.
The first thing you should do to narrow the possibilities down a bit is to remove bar & chain and empty the tanks, then weight it.

Also try to measure the bore of the cylinder.

Latest posts

Back