passive or aggressive advertising

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
As I was driving home on Friday with a friend, I told him that I was not going to aggressively pursue work this year. He on the other hand was going to pursue all the work he could possibly get his hands on. After I dropped him off, I went over to the deli and saw that they were doing some paving there, I introduced myself to the boss, because I had a vested interest in what goes on at the place. He said to me that he has some trees he needs down at his place, plus he has a customer that needs some tree work done. Then that night some guy overheard me talking at a 7-11 on the phone and came up to me inside the store and asked me to look at 2 little trees at his house. When I went there the wife asked me if I cut lawns... So that may be a new account. When I went to the contractor's house he had a brand new Dodge Viper in the driveway. Nice house, lots of tree work do to there. I wound up getting the job. Then yesterday when I was in class my landlord called me up, one of his friends needs about 35 - 40 stumps ground at his house. I cut down the trees for the guy, so I know how big they are and everything.

So my question was, do you guys aggressively target new business, or do you let it come to you?

Well, i'm knot some intimidating persona; especially here in the pip-squeak status. Gee big guy; i thought i left that behind as i topped 130#! i like the oxy-moron though!

i don't like to be bothered by people selling. So in turn; i'll generally only approach you uninvited; if there is a dead limb over your baby's swing set or cantageous conditions.

Well, i guess i've gotten a lil'more aggressive than that; but that's pretty close!

What do you say to some poor guy that just had something 'hatracked' write nextdoor to your job? Is that a good aggressive oppurtunity? Do you laugh or cry as you stand in shock? Or just leave the poor sucker alone?

Can't help-it; we are seeing more of that all of the sudden!

130 hey? I'll take the pip-squeek back.;)

I guess that puts you right in the middle of the lightweight catagory (was hoping to be able to call you a featherweight:D).

Not much you can do with a hatrack, but ask "Why?!?".

Hey treeman82

The last time I ran an ad was over 2 years ago. I think I differ from some of the guys on this site in that I only do tree work on weekends ( lately after work also ). I've been working more lately for a local climber who has loads more experience than me. He pays really good and gets me in the tree whenever he can. I'm trying to learn as much as I can as fast as I can. My day job has nothing to do with tree work. I've been lucky. As soon as several jobs are completed I get calls for more work, all word of mouth. I usually get roughly 85% of the jobs I bid.

Back