Patience conquers all......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THALL10326

The Champ
Reaction score
Had a complete stranger looking at saws yesterday and he was very interested in the MS009. He seemed a very serious type of man, short on words. He said Stihl has discontinued that model haven't they, I said yep. He said I got 20 of them, I run a tree service. I said cool. He went on to say all his 009's were getting old but have been great saws for him. I said well Stihl is done with the 009, you can't get anymore from them. He asked if that was the only one I had left. I said no, I got a few more in the stock room, lets go see how many I got. We headed to the shop and once in the stock room there sat 4 more 009's. He looked all around and said nice shop. He said I'll think on those saws, I said ok, out the door he went. Today he came in carrying a starter assembly off a 066 in one hand and the rewind spring in the other hand. He asks if I have a whole new assmebly and I looked at his and said nope but you don't need one anyway, hand me that thing. I put it all back together and said there you go. He named off a bunch of other parts for a 066 and asked if I had them in stock. Sure enough I had every part he was looking for. After getting all his parts together I was just about to ask him if he had decided anything on getting a 009 when he goes do you still have those five 009's. I said sure do, and in a joking way I said how many ya want, all of em? To my surprise he said yes, I want all 5 of them. $1300.00 dollars later we're heading to his car with all these saws and he's all the sudden talking like I'm his best freind. He's telling me all about his company and his choice of saws and all, way too much to type here but it seems I gained a new customer with a very thick wallet by merely being patient. Patience does conquer all and in this case it sure did. Why bother with this story, simple. If your selling be patient. If your buying be patient and most important should a problem arise before cussing and raising hell try patience, it works so much better..........

Ive got one for you too...

I must admit, Im the type of customer you dealers hate. I nickle and dime my dealer to death. Couple dollars here for parts, couple there......Other than the 460, the bench mount filer, and all my bars and chains, Ive gotten most of my other stuff on-line. SO anyway, I walk in tonite to pick up $2.38 in parts for the 066, two washers for the oiler and the plastic plug that goes in the end. I tell them I scored a brand new 260 for $275, and that I need a couple parts to switch over the oiler to an adjustable. I didnt get to finish saying the parts I needed and there they sit on the counter. Then we **** chat about how the 066 is running, and the carving competition that went on locally this past weekend.

EDIT: I also bought my GB mill there.

Last edited:
CaseyForrest said:
Ive got one for you too...

I must admit, Im the type of customer you dealers hate. I nickle and dime my dealer to death. Couple dollars here for parts, couple there......Other than the 460, the bench mount filer, and all my bars and chains, Ive gotten most of my other stuff on-line. SO anyway, I walk in tonite to pick up $2.38 in parts for the 066, two washers for the oiler and the plastic plug that goes in the end. I tell them I scored a brand new 260 for $275, and that I need a couple parts to switch over the oiler to an adjustable. I didnt get to finish saying the parts I needed and there they sit on the counter. Then we **** chat about how the 066 is running, and the carving competition that went on locally this past weekend.

Cool, thats a good dealer your dealing with, good for you..............

THALL10326 said:
Had a complete stranger looking at saws yesterday and he was very interested in the MS009. He seemed a very serious type of man, short on words. He said Stihl has discontinued that model haven't they, I said yep. He said I got 20 of them, I run a tree service. I said cool. He went on to say all his 009's were getting old but have been great saws for him. I said well Stihl is done with the 009, you can't get anymore from them. He asked if that was the only one I had left. I said no, I got a few more in the stock room, lets go see how many I got. We headed to the shop and once in the stock room there sat 4 more 009's. He looked all around and said nice shop. He said I'll think on those saws, I said ok, out the door he went. Today he came in carrying a starter assembly off a 066 in one hand and the rewind spring in the other hand. He asks if I have a whole new assmebly and I looked at his and said nope but you don't need one anyway, hand me that thing. I put it all back together and said there you go. He named off a bunch of other parts for a 066 and asked if I had them in stock. Sure enough I had every part he was looking for. After getting all his parts together I was just about to ask him if he had decided anything on getting a 009 when he goes do you still have those five 009's. I said sure do, and in a joking way I said how many ya want, all of em? To my surprise he said yes, I want all 5 of them. $1300.00 dollars later we're heading to his car with all these saws and he's all the sudden talking like I'm his best freind. He's telling me all about his company and his choice of saws and all, way too much to type here but it seems I gained a new customer with a very thick wallet by merely being patient. Patience does conquer all and in this case it sure did. Why bother with this story, simple. If your selling be patient. If your buying be patient and most important should a problem arise before cussing and raising hell try patience, it works so much better..........

It seems I posted this in the wrong thread earlier today. Sorry about that.

Here it is again where it belongs. Notice the second article down in this issue.

logger_mag1.jpg

coveredinsap said:
It seems I posted this in the wrong thread earlier today. Sorry about that.

Here it is again where it belongs. Notice the second article down in this issue.

logger_mag1.jpg

hahahahaha,.lolololol, im rolling Sap, lololololol. Must admit that was good,lololololololol

CaseyForrest said:
Yeah, thats a good one Sap!!!

True Cassey, Sap did pull a good one there, I'm still laffing, that orereny cuss got me laffing my butt off and made me famous too, front page,lolololol

Thall,

You didn't follow the Stihl sales management policy: Ignore the guy for 12 minutes, them try and talk him out of what he wanted and sell him something else, and then ignore him some more while you **** chat with the other employees about what you are going to order for lunch.

Andreas won't be happy with your pro customer policy.

Big Woody said:
Thall,

You didn't follow the Stihl sales management policy: Ignore the guy for 12 minutes, them try and talk him out of what he wanted and sell him something else, and then ignore him some more while you **** chat with the other employees about what you are going to order for lunch.

Andreas won't be happy with your pro customer policy.

Funny you mention that Woody. A few days ago I got a man that told me thats exactly what happened to him at another dealer, wasn't Stihl though, was that other brand, won't mention names. He walked out with a Stihl though, I made time for him. That reminds me, dayummm you I bought your saw myself, now you coming by the house to pick it up???????????????

You will have to remind me. What model saw am I coming buy to pick up? The bigger the better!

Yep, that was purty good, sap..

Some years ago, I did remove a pretty large fir. It had a 31 degree lean, was 120 feet tall to it's 10 inch broken out top, and about 60 inches on the butt. Decaying, leaning towards a newly constructed house. But, unlike its cousins, it wasn't "in" Puget Sound. Those trees are, however, downslope from it. They are in Lake Washington after a landslide maybe 500 years ago, and are known as the "Submerged, Standing Forest" as they are supposedly still somewhat upright....

Nearby, is an even larger fir, nearly 6 feet dbh, that I've been in twice. It is on its way out, but thankfully leans away from the homes it is around.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Big Woody said:
You will have to remind me. What model saw am I coming buy to pick up? The bigger the better!

You wanted that 660 didn't you, well there it is Woody, I'm getting tired of shinning it up for you and you not showing up,lol
attachment.php

Last edited:
Lakeside53 said:
Did it cut that 2x4 quick? Video?;)

Yup, less than 30 minutes that thing was through that 2x4 Lake. I'll tell ya I was amazed,lolololol. I'm gonna charge Woody for breaking in the saw. Fact is I've yet to take the gas cap off. Still saving it, only got 20 years to go before the grandson gets it...............

Sorry for messin' with yer thread, thall. Way to go on the sale, you are da man!

THALL10326 said:
Yup, less than 30 minutes that thing was through that 2x4 Lake. I'll tell ya I was amazed,lolololol. I'm gonna charge Woody for breaking in the saw. Fact is I've yet to take the gas cap off. Still saving it, only got 20 years to go before the grandson gets it...............

30 minutes? Not bad for using it as a handsaw! They'll cut faster with the brake on though.

rbtree said:
Sorry for messin' with yer thread, thall. Way to go on the sale, you are da man!

No way Rb, I love those photos you put up,they look great. I've been looking at a bunch of your photos, great work. Far as the sale went I was kinda surprised for I like to joke and kid around but this guy was the serious type so I had to be serious as well and very patient, payed off good. Post them pics Rb, I likem.......................

Lakeside53 said:
30 minutes? Not bad for using it as a handsaw! They'll cut faster with the brake on though.

lolololol, whats that old joke, whats that sound, lololololol. Ya know Lake I'm adding the 361 soon and 441. Even so wait till I really get the urge, I'm smelling 880 because I know you got one and I don't, just doesn't seem right, gotta do something bout that. I'll cut a 6x6 with big boy,lol

THALL10326 said:
lolololol, whats that old joke, whats that sound, lololololol. Ya know Lake I'm adding the 361 soon and 441. Even so wait till I really get the urge, I'm smelling 880 because I know you got one and I don't, just doesn't seem right, gotta do something bout that. I'll cut a 6x6 with big boy,lol

Hmmm... 6x6? With the 880 the "units" for cant are defaulted to "feet", not "inches".

361: Full wrap version to be announced soon. Same chain cover as the 441 wrap. Want to bet you'll have to jump though hoops to get them on the east coast? :hmm3grin2orange:

Lakeside53 said:
Hmmm... 6x6? With the 880 the "units" for cant are defaulted to "feet", not "inches".

361: Full wrap version to be announced soon. Same chain cover as the 441 wrap. Want to bet you'll have to jump though hoops to get them on the east coast? :hmm3grin2orange:

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Wait I have friend in washington don't I?,hehehe

Latest posts

Back