People don't yet take battery operated chainsaws seriously.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you sure the part about your 18 volt Milwaukee product not being stopped by kevlar chaps? This has been proved false for other battery saws that are brushless and direct drive. I know the Milwaukee is gear reduction but still just because you type it does not make it so.

I guess the weight distribution thing would be model by model for both gas and electric.

I doubt there is an economic advantage to the battery. the 2014 and 2015 dated ones are pretty short of energy compared to the 2020 one. I just got in using about half a battery worth and it won't charge. Probably needs to have the temperature equalize it is hot on one end and cold on the other. When it gets close to 100 degrees F some of them are certainly not 100% duty cycle. Low temp need carry the battery in what is a cooler for warm weather.

I'm not sure about the kevlar and I don't plan to test that myself. Just what I read.

Yes, lithium batteries have several shortcomings. Though we may also factor in the other "challenges" of gas. Basically they have a way of "not running quite right" a little too often. The issue would be lowered if chainsaw use wasn't generally seasonal and intermittent. I have over a dozen saws and struggle getting them to start or run properly - way too often.

Can’t speak to the perception issue beyond cordless drills went through the same.

A battery saw may have nothing to do with the first situation you described though it may have enhanced the young buck’s response. I wouldn’t state I was a professional, but in the absence of an emergency any stranger showing up on a site I was responsible for would be politely sent packing even if they had a 661 in one hand and a 395 in the other. Probably only just me.

Ron

Battery saws definitely have their place, I rate them highly for climbing. The major downside of course is the expense & longevity of the batteries. @Franny K, sounds like you have a cell on its way out & that batteries days are numbered if not done.
The ineffective chaps thing is a myth & has been proven to be many times over.
If anything I think battery saws are MORE dangerous due to their relative ease of use & lack of perceived danger... a recipe for disaster in a novices hands. In some situations a light saw will kick back worse as it has less mass to oppose being flung

I would prefer a decent battery saw if I was hanging in a tree, or when I'm walking around the battlefield to collect and tidy up because I recon I dont need a saw at that point but occasionally you do - just for that one branch you missed, that said:
I'll buy one when they come with an aggressive two-stroke sound simulator that responds to the simulated high rev carb adjustment.

The four things I don't like about my battery saws are the cost of the saws, the cost of the batteries, the cost of the chargers and the fact that my smallest 2 stroke saw (MS170) cuts four times as much wood on one tank of fuel as does my most powerful battery saw on one fully charged battery.

At present there is no new tech on the horizon which will make batteries competitive costwise or oomphwise with 2strokers.

A couple examples:
1) Being a somewhat helpful type I showed up holding my MIlwaukee chainsaw (with 12 aH battery) and offered to help clear a neighboring lot being cleared by two young bucks. Was told "We're professionals, have a lot going on."
2) Clearing a storm damaged lot for a client. I use a big gas saw when needed. For bucking and smaller fell I prefer my four battery operated saws. They are quiet, light, well balanced, efficient, and always start instantly. Plus I am often just making 2-3 cuts so firing up a gas chainsaw makes no sense to me. Nothing in gas works quite as well at 9500'.
Was cutting fireplace sized logs for her neighbor whom I owe a favor to. Client "encouraged" me to stop since her neighbors "both have gas chainsaws".

I'm sure many of you still feel that battery powered chainsaws are for rank amateurs. A 12 aH Milwaukee or 58 volt Echo will provide quite a lot of very convenient bucking. Whether or not they actually save money due to no gas burning? I don't know - chainsaws don't need much gas. Plus the wear and tear on fairly expensive batteries.

I feel the battery operated chainsaws offer less weight and better weight distribution. Comparatively quiet that may help with concentration. I also feel a bit safer though I have argued they may not actually be any safer since kevlar chaps won't stop a battery saw like a gas saw. Though the lighter weight likely helps with control.

I have also felt like other clients were silently "sneering" at the sight and use of a battery saw. I also feel like many cutters use a gigantic saw and bar mostly to impress others. Here in Colorado it is rare that more than a 32" bar is very helpful. Though I've seen plenty of footage in the PNW where many trees literally dwarf the offerings found in Colorado.

I have watched a tree service professional with 40 years of experience say that he loves his battery operated saw. He used it extensively for bucking. But that doesn't help with current derision that many still feel for the use of a battery operated saw. Thoughts? Experience?
Remember the first ones through the wall always gets bloody.

In climbing and stripping a trunk out, I could easily appreciate the lack of weight and lack of noise. I dont have to climb for a living but if I did you can bet there would be one on my hip.

In climbing and stripping a trunk out, I could easily appreciate the lack of weight and lack of noise. I dont have to climb for a living but if I did you can bet there would be one on my hip.
Today's further analysis shows that my claims of lower weight may often be unfounded. Likely because I use bigger gas saws for bigger work. Battery saws for smaller work. The battery saws almost feel weightless but I'm generally bucking with batteries and falling with gas. Plus I suspect the noise bugs my senses a bit. I buy toys and shop for quieter mufflers, unlike some guys.

If they don't work well, then the government needs to leave the gas ones alone, until the technology catches up.
@HarleyT quote above suggests that once the tech is in line the govt needs to start outlawing gas? Yeah not unless you live in Canada.

I was politely skeptical about battery chainsaws when Oregon showed up with one 11 years ago (!!!).

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/review-oregon-powernow-cordless-chainsaw.179262/
The original batteries still work, although, I cannot tell you what type of charge they hold now compared to new. Batteries and saws have just gotten better, 'powered' by the revolution in cordless contractor tools. I am blown away by what I see at trade shows, and many contractors tell me that they often don't even carry an extension cord in their trucks.

I am not going to repeat all the posts I have made since then, but they are very convenient, quiet, and effective within their capabilities. I have felled 12" diameter trees, and done a lot of storm cleanup with mine, including limbs and smaller trunk pieces that I clear out before getting to some of the larger diameter sections. BTW, I have also used a battery powered Sawzall/recip saw to cut away the building materials mixed in after a tornado.

Another advantage is that the same batteries also power pole saws, string trimmers, hedge trimmers, lawn mowers, edgers, leaf blowers, snow throwers, ice augers, etc., if you select the right platform.

Philbert

I enjoy tree work, but, I like two strokes more... "the pleasing aroma is half the point". For me, I have battery tools, they are nice. I never would have thought a battery skill saw would replace a corded one, but I don't mess with the corded ones anymore. With that being said, I'll be running ice engine chainsaws exclusively, until it's not possible. Call it aesthetics, call it nostalgia. There are areas where battery power is obviously superior, and I appreciate that. For instance, I've built some quadcopters. Imagine trying to replicate that with an Ice engine! what is simple with a couple of electric motors, speed controllers, and a microprocessor would be be almost impossible to replicate with an Ice engine. That's not what a chainsaw is. It's a chain powered by a motor, and thankfully, gasoline still has more energy density that batteries.

AND: the last thing I would do, when doing a job, is appreciate help or input from the customers neighbor.

Latest posts

Back