Personal removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spreaderman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I bought a house with property a few months back. I've been working on it, removing trees and such. There were two Sweet Gum trees (27''dbh) growing out of the same stump. It noticed that it had been struck by lightning. After raking leaves and also getting up the thousands of the little balls that they produce annually and that one of the trees was leaning toward my electrical service I decided to remove it. I took a few pix....
In the one photo of the end of the trunk you can clearly see the lightning ''stain'' .
I cut the stump using my 066 with 32'' bar with a new skip chain from Madsens. I put a 028 on the stump so you could appreciate the diameter of it ... I did have the help of my 72 horse tractor with a set of forks to remove the stump from it base .... Yes it was a hard days work but well worth the effort....

nice pics, showing the tree from standing to sawdust. Some folks would consider removing it an overreaction to the lean and the gumballs, but it was your tree. What makes you think that stain is a result of lighting? Was there bark damage all the way up the stem?

answers

Yes the bark was damaged all the way down the trunk and the bottom of the stump was rotting. The top was out of one of the trees. I did consider the tree and think it over before I started cutting. Clearly, it had seen better days .... Sooner or later it was coming down whether by control or not .... rather than risk any damage to decided to remove it .....Sweet gums are '' messy'' because of the spiny balls that they produce ... I guess it depends on who is doing the raking each year on that part....
I plan to plant another tree in the area in due time .....

Hey Guy, weren't you asking for lightening pic's?
Here's a good example of arbor-phobia!

attachment.php

asking/submitting

Hey Guy,
I wasn't asking for lightning tree pictures... I did submit some pictures that fit the profile....

Last edited:
nice pics what you going to use the wood for?... milling, firewood ext.. sure have a large load!

Hey Guy,
I wasn't asking for lightning tree pictures... I did submit some pictures that fit the profile....

Hey SMan,

He was talking to another poster that was looking for lightening damaged trees. Anyway, good on you for taking the tree down without damage. I dont know how it has dried and what good use it will be but I've milled some Gum for my dad. Has a nice clean look on the inside. Dont know what it will look like finished but milling may be a thought if you've access. Gum burns good in my fireplace.

the trunk and wood

Sweet gum doesn't produced the heat that oak and hickory does so cutting it up for firewood was ruled out. I do use wood heat but try to stick to those two and cut it early enough so that it will be dried good. I plan to have the trunks milled ... Sweet gum makes good crossties. As for the stump and the rest of the tree along with a few more hackberries that I have cut ..... on the pile they went......plan to roast marshmellows with long poles.....

How did you do the final stump cut it looks like the stump was 3 times larger than your bar (might be wrong) just the way it looked to me.

Its your tree do what you want with it, and its wood it burns don't rule out fire wood

Bar change

Judge,
I changed bars on the 066 from a 32" to a 25" after I cut the stump off at ground level ... the 25" is what's in the pictures...

Latest posts

Back