Pesky Husqvarna 61 chainbrake assembly

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dman7

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello! First post and a noob here..

Recently availed myself of a splendid used Husqvarna 61. One of the newer models with plastic handled chainbrake.

All looks good on the saw with slight exception of the chainbrake. The chainbrake actuates - I can move the lever forward to engage but then it sticks there and doesn't want to come back. So I took it apart, cleaned and lubed, and I think it will work better now without years of sawdust gumming it up, but it doesn't seem to want to go together.

The issue is a small spring that tucks up inside the plastic handle. I found some diagrams that show how the spring is oriented in the handle but I can't see how the handle is supposed to mate with the knee link, and where the spring is supposed to contact the link. I also *think* the chainbrake lever pin with C-clip is supposed to go through the hole in the knee link, but would appreciate some guidance there too.

Thanks in advance.

Dman7

Go to beg for threads on this site and ask for the IPL and service manual for this saw that will help you out. Someone will send it to you quick most often.

Go to beg for threads on this site and ask for the IPL and service manual for this saw that will help you out. Someone will send it to you quick most often.

Thanks for the reply. I've seen the service manual. It says it should just 'fit together'. I need some real world experience.

safety glasses

I use a metal object (hands are weak) screwdriver shank and release the brake by pushing down on mechanism. So the band is loose on the clutch drum. then when the lever goes on it is less of a fight and brake works as intended. this is all done with the clutch cover off of the saw. lever should be as far back as possible when coming down, to put in the pivot. if the pivot is easy to install you've got it right. I guess the trick is the brake needs to be released before the handle goes on. when reinstalling the spring it will initially be in the brake "on" position. good luck OBTW safety glasses! pesky spring.

I use a metal object (hands are weak) screwdriver shank and release the brake by pushing down on mechanism. So the band is loose on the clutch drum. then when the lever goes on it is less of a fight and brake works as intended. this is all done with the clutch cover off of the saw. lever should be as far back as possible when coming down, to put in the pivot. if the pivot is easy to install you've got it right. I guess the trick is the brake needs to be released before the handle goes on. when reinstalling the spring it will initially be in the brake "on" position. good luck OBTW safety glasses! pesky spring.

Thanks OB

I finally got it back on. I put the pin in first and dropped it down into position, in the brake on position. Part of my issue was not understanding how this brake works ( first saw! ). When I realized it was a spring-loaded either-or detent,it all clicked. ( no pun intended)

Latest posts

Back