Pest on silver maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mowdenver

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
While I was at a customers today I noticed a pile of fine wood dust at the bottom of an old wound. Frost crack I believe, from the base up about 2'. Wound has been there since I have been working the property 9 years.

Anyway I looked for insects and all I saw a yellow jacket/wasp type winged insect about 1 1/4". 1 only and was very lethargic. When it came out of the wound some dust droped. I have never seen wasps nest in tree wounds here. Very severe drought year if that would make a difference. Maybe the wasp had nothing to do with it, my first thought was termites-though they are rare here.

So
Does it sound like a problem that needs to be treated? Its the only shade tree on the property and they don't want to lose it.

there are also several clear winged moth borers that when in the adult stage resemble wasps . like the dogwood borer or the ash or lilac borer. they will make small holes in the trunks of trees and will have frass or dust. JPM

Latest posts

Back