Pex fittings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, as soon as my 1" pex gets inside the house I went to 3/4 copper. The inside dia of my pex is actually 1/16 " larger than 3/4". Anyway, Dealer supplied the 1" sharkbite, but pressure is 3 lbs max and should hold fine.

Those sharkbites worry anyone else? They just look TOO easy to me...I've only used them a couple times at my house on some quick plumbing stuff...just scares me how easy it is to just pop it in there :)

Anything that expensive has to be good.

My Zurn pex 1 inch isn't really 1 inch. Its an inch and an eighth o.d. and less that an inch i.d. Is this the standard for 1 inch pex and do the one inch sharkbites and one inch crimp clamps fit these dimensions. Sorry, but this pex thing is all new to me. Thanks

Yah, that is one inch PEX. Pex is sized to the center of the poly, not the inside or outside diameter. The inside diameter of one inch PEX is about 3/4 of a inch, so it sizes well to 3/4 inch copper pipe and fittings.

As for the crimping tools, I rented one from a HW store that we bought the PEX from. They work pretty well, even though the crimps/PEX seem to be loose when they are crimped in place. They have held up for 4 years now anyway.

I've got Sharkbites and Viper fittings everywhere on my setup. I got Tees, ball valves, elbows, threaded, couplers, etc... in all sizes, 1 inch, 3/4 inch, 1/2 inch.

I have radiant floor under our great room. Sharbite/Vipers are expensive but I feel they are worth it. If I need to take something apart or whatever, I can.
They're easy to use. I did solder some of the copper pipes and fittings on my set up but used many Sharkbite/Vipers. Probably got a couple hundred dollars worth. Here is a list off the top of my head.

10 1/2" ball valves

10 1" ball valves

3 3/4" ball valves

12 1/2" couplers

4 1" threaded couplers

5 1" couplers

6 1" Tee fittings

There are more but I'd have to go into the basement to count the others. Anyway, they all work great and no leaks as yet. I highly recommend them.

They are great for joining copper to Pex.

Just my $.02

I've got Sharkbites and Viper fittings everywhere on my setup. I got Tees, ball valves, elbows, threaded, couplers, etc... in all sizes, 1 inch, 3/4 inch, 1/2 inch.

I have radiant floor under our great room. Sharbite/Vipers are expensive but I feel they are worth it. If I need to take something apart or whatever, I can.
They're easy to use. I did solder some of the copper pipes and fittings on my set up but used many Sharkbite/Vipers. Probably got a couple hundred dollars worth. Here is a list off the top of my head.

10 1/2" ball valves

10 1" ball valves

3 3/4" ball valves

12 1/2" couplers

4 1" threaded couplers

5 1" couplers

6 1" Tee fittings

There are more but I'd have to go into the basement to count the others. Anyway, they all work great and no leaks as yet. I highly recommend them.

They are great for joining copper to Pex.

Just my $.02

haha, what's up money bags? :) send some of those fittings my way....

i went as far as heating up old used fittings and re-soldering them to my setup, even used 1" copper that was given to me for all my main runs to my HX...

advice required

Looking to instal a boiler in the yard and a heat exchanger in my forced air natural gas furnace. Not sure were to start to source products let alone what is worth the cash?

Those sharkbites worry anyone else? They just look TOO easy to me...I've only used them a couple times at my house on some quick plumbing stuff...just scares me how easy it is to just pop it in there :)
:agree2:

But they work. Easy, yes. PEX connections seem too loose to me, even crimped ones, but they have held up well over the years.

That's what us pros said about ABS/PVC pipe in the 70's....over the long haul, who knows? Sharkbite's are cheaper than buying 3 different sizes of PEX crimpers, PEX fitting not cheap eiether...nothing made of brass/copper is, get used to it.

UT OH.. why did you say that. I have a mouse problem and thought of that because where they are going is where the pex lays that I can't get at. :cry:

I've seen mice chew on the old QEST polybutylene pipe, no problems with Pex that I know of.

Had a buddy come back from a 10 day fishing trip , no hot water someone chewed a hole in his pex. When I asked him how long the water had been running he said about $300.00 in water bill plus about 10-15K down staires.

Had a buddy come back from a 10 day fishing trip , no hot water someone chewed a hole in his pex. When I asked him how long the water had been running he said about $300.00 in water bill plus about 10-15K down staires.

well when you go away you should turn off the water... thats a good reason to do so

I read also that burst washer hoses are one of the largest claims on home owners insurance...

That's why it's wise to use the braided stainless hoses...also, there are devices made to shut water off if a hose ruptures.

I'm impressed, junke!!

I use the braided SS hoses too...
we are not on a water system... if we go away.. we just shut the pump off... if there is a leak.. its only what ever the tank holds .. maybe 5-10 gal?

Back