pex info needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_dj1

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm about to install a self built loop in my outside hot air wood heater. My question is for you pex experts, if I hard pipe the pex at the furnace end and allow for expansion inside will this be ok? I have heard that pex will grow and I don't want it to grow on the outside end, if it grows on the inside end that will be fine.
thanks,
dave

You're talking if it expands inside the house? Mine grows by as much as 2' over a 75' run or about 1.5% at 150F. The higher the water temperature the more it will expand. You can probably find the expansion rate with a search if you're looking for an actual value with temperature range. I have a 90 degree bend in mine to allow for movement where it enters the basement (it's 90 degrees when it's running and somewhat over 90 degrees during the off-season.)

Good info, thanks.
I just don't want it to move/grow at the stove end, I don't know how to compensate for that end to move. It's no big deal if it moves inside the house.
Thanks again,
dave

Back