Philbert's Chain Salvage Challenge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phosphoric acid is present in many rust-removal products. It reacts with iron oxide (rust) to form Iron phosphate, a black compound that actually protects the steel beneath from further corrosion.

While ascorbic acid is added as a flavorant in many beverages, so is the phosphoric acid. The main acidic component of most sodas is the carbonic acid, formed under pressure in the can with CO² and water.

Phosphoric acid is present in many rust-removal products. It reacts with iron oxide (rust) to form Iron phosphate, a black compound that actually protects the steel beneath from further corrosion.

While ascorbic acid is added as a flavorant in many beverages, so is the phosphoric acid. The main acidic component of most sodas is the carbonic acid, formed under pressure in the can with CO² and water.
WOW! I came here to learn about chainsaw problem solving, and get a completely meaningless rant from "Bob Nye".

If you spent less time being snide and a little more time trying to learn something, you would have realized that the presence only of minute quantities of phosphoric acid and vitamin C in Coke might explain why it doesn't work worth a crap on removing the rust from chainsaw chains. It might, however, add a rust inhibitive layer to the chain, once you are done descaling it.

I'm sorry I didn't dumb it down for you so that you could understand. I'll try harder next time. In the meanwhile, try to understand that you aren't the only person that will be reading this thread. Also, I suggest you read the bottom line of my signature below. Let me know if you can't see it.
(signature reading must be enabled in your user preferences)

What is your mechanical persuasion technique?

For chain, clamp the drive link only in the jaws of a vise, and tap the adjacent link with a cushioned hammer, or using a block of wood to protect it from damage.

As long as you can break the chain free the rust is only cosmetic and most of it will come off with use.

Deep rust, or rust affecting the rivets, can lead to chain breakage.

Philbert

For chain, clamp the drive link only in the jaws of a vise, and tap the adjacent link with a cushioned hammer, or using a block of wood to protect it from damage.

Deep rust, or rust affecting the rivets, can lead to chain breakage.

Philbert
Yep, which is why I made the comment early that if it's severely rusted I would pitch it. Not worth the risk.

Irregardless of the politics of this thread. Philberts experiment/challenge was alot of fun and I was amazed at how it revived a 50+ year old rusty chain. I will be using vinegar alot more around the house to clean rust off of tools.

I am equally amazed. I never figured vinegar would have any effect.

This photo is from Post #112 in this thread. The first 10 pages, or so, focused on rust because that is what people were sending me.

Use light taps (or cushion with a wooden block), then work the link back-and-forth, adding light, penetrating oil.

9DDD31E0-9FF4-44CB-925B-C4A84082FA30.jpeg

Philbert

Latest posts

Back