Philbert's Chain Salvage Challenge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought some Mean Green...

Works great for bearing restoration in an ultra-sonic cleaner as well. I've revived two NLA/unobtanium Stihl bearings using the method.
As mentioned, quick drying and lubrication is required afterward, but don't be afraid to drop bearings, (or even a crank) into a 50/50 solution to let em soak for awhile if they're a little crusty. They'll thank you later..., especially when running a newly salvaged chain. (See how I did that?)

I started using the water-based degreasers, instead of petroleum solvents, cleaning up bicycle parts, because I was often working indoors, and did not want the odors or fire hazards.

‘Discovering’ sodium hydroxide was a ‘lucky accident’ for me, because one product had it and another did not. Of course, ‘lye’ has been used for ages (lots more on this in early pages of this thread).

A chemist convinced me that commercial, water-based degreasers containing sodium hydroxide, also contain detergents, surfactants, and other stuff that make them a better choice that pure lye.

I usually use ‘SuperClean’, but will check out ‘MeanGreen’ next time I am at that store where you save BIG money! Zep, and others also sell some similar products.

Just a reminder that sodium hydroxide is a caustic that is often a key ingredient in drain cleaners. So wear gloves and eye splash protection.

Sodium hydroxide will also react with aluminum, so I would avoid prolonged contact with aluminum or painted parts. And rinse well.

But for greasy, gunky chains, it is my go to product!

Philbert

Not a chain. . .

IMG_5363.jpeg
This is a tube flaring tool that I acquired across 2 different garage sales, more than a year apart (don’t tell me that hoarding does not pay)! Part was in a ‘FREE’ box; I paid $2 for the matching part.

They did not look like this, but cleaned up nicely in the same, dilute, citric acid bath I started using 30+ pages ago.

I just got a scrap of plastic gutter, and a couple of end caps, and made a long trough that I am planning to use for some longer, slightly rusted stuff.

IMG_5296.jpeg

Philbert

I've found an old scabbard to come in handy for soaking various items aside from bars and chain. It's out of the way I where I won't spill it or trip over it.

Great idea, and use of indigenous materials !

I thought about PVC pipe, capped at one end, but wanted to observe the progress. Right now I have 25 cents invested in this gutter / trough (cast away parts), so I’m going to start with it.

But I like the scabbard idea!

Philbert

Latest posts

Back