Philbert's Low Tech Filing Vise

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Troll, Your the Man!! You sir must have some strong hands.. No wonder you like the short bars, With your technique, less cutters to sharpen would be a real blessing.:)

Thank you guys for all the positive feedback.

It is not perfect:

- holds the links a little tighter near the clamps - may add a third clamp in the middle;

- right now I can file in the middle, OR at the radiuses - drive links at the ends affect how flat the bar clamps (this may be why the Oregon model had in/out-feed rollers?);

- as Galde noted in a grinder thread, the links clamp tighter if you press down slightly on them before clamping;

- have to play with the spacers a little;

- this vise has 2, different end radiuses - not by design, but because I ground the ends smooth 'free-hand';

- does not work with any bar-mount filing guides (Timberline, Granberg, etc.). The Husky roller guides could easily be modified to fit this vise, if desired, by filing the slots in their aluminum bases wider.

Philbert

Are you going to mount it or keep it portable ?

I bolted it to the board shown, to mount in my woodworking vise, and to allow a little bit of height adjustment. I would probably only use this in my shop, but you could make some other type of mount that clamps to a tailgate, or fits into the stake pocket of a pick up truck to use in the field. If you look in heimannm's thread (first one in first post) you will see some other options for mounting in a machinist's vise.

You could sell those things, I ain't kidding either.

Not looking to start a side business Zog. Took me a while with my basic hand tools. Good evening/weekend project for a chainsaw guy/gal. But someone with access to basic metalworking tools could probably set up some simple jigs and knock these out pretty efficiently (send me one if you do!).

My low tech filing vise is the thumb and forefinger of my left hand, that I use for holding the cutters upright, while I file them with the right hand.

Lots of ways to sharpen a chain! Most of you guys know that I am mostly a grinder guy anyway. But I like to try new things and to be able to file in the field. Also wanted to be able to file inside at home when I don't want to set up the grinder (noise, dust, snow, etc.).

SawTroll's forefinger probably has 'Husq' permanently embedded in it!! I just think that, however you file (if you file), you will get better results if the bar and/or chain is held steady so that you can control the file with both hands.

e.g. http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/240030.htm

Philbert

Lots of ways to sharpen a chain! Most of you guys know that I am mostly a grinder guy anyway. But I like to try new things and to be able to file in the field. Also wanted to be able to file inside at home when I don't want to set up the grinder (noise, dust, snow, etc.).

SawTroll's forefinger probably has 'Husq' permanently embedded in it!! I just think that, however you file (if you file), you will get better results if the bar and/or chain is held steady so that you can control the file with both hands.

Philbert

That is if course true - the question is if it is worth the extra time and effort it takes to make that happen! :msp_biggrin:

Per a request, I uploaded some replacement photos for those that have gone missing from this thread, and have tried to repair/replace some links to other threads.

Unfortunately, links to many of the photos in those image rich threads were also lost. These showed the creative details of many different vises created by other AS members.

I hope that this thread is still easy to understand and follow.

Philbert

Last edited:
I can't recommend a chain vise enough - I do far better work on my homemade vise than I ever could on the bar. And it is so much easier and faster.

I can't recommend a chain vise enough - I do far better work on my homemade vise than I ever could on the bar. And it is so much easier and faster.
I couldn't agree more! It is so nice to be able to get the cutters to hold tight rather than flopping around in a sloppy bar.

Why take it off the saw in the first place?

When I take the chain off my junk - no cutters are left and the next stop is the bin.
This method is for the folks that don't like chain wiggle, wiggle, wiggle.... you get the point

Don't you ever flip your bar over?

I like it! Can you post any more photos or details that might help others build one?

As noted, I had tried to get photos of many different home made chain vise designs in one thread, but most of those links were lost in forum change over. Please post any you have here.

Tree Machine has a few interesting chain vise prototypes in his Chainmeister thread by the way, that might inspire people.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/introducing-the-new-chainmeister.239225/

Philbert

Last edited:
I like it! Can you post any more photos or details that might help others build one?

As noted, I had tried to get photos of many different home made chain vise designs in one thread, but most of those links were lost in forum change over. Please post any you have here.

Tree Machine has a few interesting chain vise prototypes in his Chainmeister thread by the way, that might inspire people.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/introducing-the-new-chainmeister.239225/

Philbert
These were made at work out of some scrap C channel aluminum pieces - these were drop off ends from some 19" electronic equipment cabinet struts. I had a general idea of what I wanted to do and just ad-libed it in the machine shop. Mostly used the band saw, the drill press and the belt sander. The clamp screws came from the specialty hardware bins at ACE.

IMG_5862-1024.jpg IMG_5864-1024.jpg IMG_5865-1024.jpg IMG_5866-1024.jpg IMG_5867-1024.jpg

Back