Picked up a 257 and a 562xp today!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinman204

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Ended up buying a couple more saws today as I have CAD bad and I've been wanting to add some husqvarna saws to my fleet of stihls.

Long story short I found an add for a 562xp that the guy said wont start so I went to go have a look.

4H9LDye.jpg

That's the 562, it's got some miles on it but it's all there. I had it running briefly but its boggy and dies.

The guy also pulled out a second case and asked if I was interested in another saw? He pulled out this one,

QCffGGO.jpg
R4gQmDw.jpg

When I saw the condition I couldn't pass it up.

He said he bought a bunch of saws at an auction or sale and he only runs stihls so he wanted to get rid of these as he had no need for them..

The 562 looks like it will need a new fuel line and the piston looks like the section above the ring is slightly scored and the ring may be stuck. The compression feels low to me, haven't had a tester on it yet.

Is a 562 worth fixing up or would it be cost prohibitive?

Is this an autotune saw? Theres wires going to the carb so I'm guessing it is.

Can I get parts for the carb on this saw? I paid almost nothing for the saw so I'm prepared to sink some money into it if needs be as I think it would be a very good saw for my needs

The 257 looks pretty clean, that would be the one I'd keep.

Yeah I'll probably keep that one for sure, it's real minty now and I haven't even cleaned it yet..

I'm not sure about these new wizzbang saws like the 562, I picked it up so I could do some work on a new saw and see if I like them or not. The price was right anyhow so I figured I couldn't pass on it.

All parts for that 562 are available, yes it's auto-tune. Build tag is under clutch side top handle. Is it and el44,el46 or el48 carb? Have rebuilt a few, if you go oem p/c, not cheap. If cylinder can be used, not so bad. I would re-build it, vac check and have local dealer update software. They will be able to tell you how many times it was started, run time, max rpm, idle time and more. Rebuilding is not a big deal, just take your time. If you decide to sell it, shoot me a price.

Work got cancelled today so I'm going to dig into the 562 a bit more.

I'll do a vac test and see which carb I have.

Yeah I've seen videos of guys running them and I've been intrigued by them.

I'm into this one for $100 CAD so I'm thinking I can get it going.

Cylinder looks good and the piston ring isnt stuck, I think the ring is thin and that's why the co.pression is so low.

It has an EL48 carb on it, have to do some reading on if that carb is any good.

Just fired up the 257, going to cut some wood with it now and see how it works.

Ok so EL48 it is..

I spent the last couple hours making plugs on my lathe to block off the strato ports and intake boot..

Saw would not vac test at all so I tried adding 7lbs of pressure to it and again it wouldn't pressurize.

Thought it was my plugs but nope!!

Flywheel side crank seal is missing a chunk which explains why this saw dont run!!!!

Guess I'll do bearings and seals.

Top end may be ok as it looks not bad but I'll have to inspect further once I'm in there.

Pulled the top end and the piston/cylinder are both scored at the transfer ports, intake an exhaust side are both ok.

RZEdW6H.jpg
Lclecg4.jpg
2AeAnar.jpg

The scoring is pretty deep in the cylinder, so I will have to buy a new top end, crank seals and I might as well install new bearings at the same time.

What would cause the cylinder to score at the transfer ports? I've read the transfer port covers are known to leak on these saws could that be the reason?

The carb is an EL48 so that's a good thing.

So I guess I should get this saw scanned at the dealer once its put back together?

Been entertaining digging into a strato saw as every saw I've worked on is 20 year old or older.

562xp has been a saw that I've been interested in as they look like they rip!

Removed the bad seal and found what I thought I'd find.

OrfzBtc.jpg
iWW8XWp.jpg

Seems the race let go and got sucked up into the cylinder.

Seems to be common on these saws.

In my experience you wont have to take it to a dealer to get it reprogrammed. Ive built 3 of them now from parts and all 3 have turned out to be GREAT runners. As soon as you get it back together and start it, PUT IT IN WOOD! I don't normally advise loading a new build as soon as it starts up but these saws need to be ran under load to reset the computer. I fired them up and put them fully buried and wide open into a log and started cutting cookies. All 3 of them reset fine and will SCREAM!

Latest posts

Back