Picked up a 261 and need suggestions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merkel

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was not really in the market for a 50cc saw but couldn't pass a deal up today. I ran across a brand new 261c for 400.00. Took her apart once I got her home today just to see and yep it's never been used, not a single spec of dirt anywhere or even oil in it. I started her up and I think I am going to love this thing.

The seller stated 18" bar but it actually had a 16" bar but the price was too good to walk a way I felt. I will be replacing it with 3/8 chain on an 18" or 20" bar for limbing but can't decide. Thoughts and any issue with running 3/8 chain?

I was also thinking of changing out the bar on my 036 Pro too so figured this may be a good time to make both the same bar length and chain size on both my 036pro and 261 so things are interchangeable. My larger saw will have a 24" bar so size is not too critical on the 036.

Any suggestions would be great!

I think 3/8 is a great idea but I'm probably in the minority here. A 4 hp saw should spin 3/8 - 20" well enough. My old 257 is (I think) 3.5 hp it does fine with the 20" bar it came with.

One of the best buys as of late posted here. Congrats! Purchase it from a private party I'm assuming?

Mine came with a 20" bar and it does fine with it. I also have an 18" bar for it.

3/8?

One of the best buys as of late posted here. Congrats! Purchase it from a private party I'm assuming?

Mine came with a 20" bar and it does fine with it. I also have an 18" bar for it.

Yea, ran across it at 12:00 am this morning and after some negotiating it was 400.00 and in my hands at 3:30 pm today. Couldn't be happier.

Nice score. Hopefully not stolen. A dealer could run the serial number for you to make sure.

I also have both a 261 version 2 and an 036. You mentioned that you weren't really in the market for a 50cc saw. I'll just say that I think these 261s are awesome saws, but I think you'll really appreciate it more if you set those two saws up in ways that highlight their differences rather than make them more similar. Personally I'd run a 16" .325 bar on that saw for limbing. Limbing with 3/8 works, but it's much grabbier and not as smooth as .325. A 261 will pull 3/8 chain certainly, and even better if you take a little time and modify the muffler and advance the timing a little. But it still won't have the torque that a healthy 036 does. I'd leave the 20" 3/8 setup on the 036 and run what you got on the 261. Maybe swap it for an 18" bar down the line if this one wears out.

No matter how you set it up, doing those two mods will make that saw a lot more fun. They're a fun, snappy little saw. I usually like bigger saws for bucking firewood, but the 261 is a treat for small wood and for limbing and thinning in the woods. It starts super easy and little things like the switch that returns to the run position and the captive bar nuts make it a real joy to use in the woods all day versus the older saws.

I like my 261 best with a 16" bar, if that helps.

Maybe after porting it I'll feel differently

Nice score. Hopefully not stolen. A dealer could run the serial number for you to make sure.

I also have both a 261 version 2 and an 036. You mentioned that you weren't really in the market for a 50cc saw. I'll just say that I think these 261s are awesome saws, but I think you'll really appreciate it more if you set those two saws up in ways that highlight their differences rather than make them more similar. Personally I'd run a 16" .325 bar on that saw for limbing. Limbing with 3/8 works, but it's much grabbier and not as smooth as .325. A 261 will pull 3/8 chain certainly, and even better if you take a little time and modify the muffler and advance the timing a little. But it still won't have the torque that a healthy 036 does. I'd leave the 20" 3/8 setup on the 036 and run what you got on the 261. Maybe swap it for an 18" bar down the line if this one wears out.

No matter how you set it up, doing those two mods will make that saw a lot more fun. They're a fun, snappy little saw. I usually like bigger saws for bucking firewood, but the 261 is a treat for small wood and for limbing and thinning in the woods. It starts super easy and little things like the switch that returns to the run position and the captive bar nuts make it a real joy to use in the woods all day versus the older saws.

Appreciate the input and the more I read I think the .325 X.063 will be the chain on an 18" Tsumura. I also have an 025 that is running a 16" so I am thinking the 261 on an 18 and keep the 036 on a 20. Next is a big saw on a 24" I feel.

In regards to the saw I would be very suprised if stolen. I went to his home and was an older gentleman who won it in a raffle and also named the place ect which made sense. He already had other saws so he didn't need another and put up for sale. He suggested I see if I can transfer warranty but can this be done?

Oh by the way ... Will this 16" bar fit in an 025 if chain matches? I have not messed with that saw yet.

81dl of .325” is a good combo. [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Will the 261 not pull well using an 18" bar running .325 chain? I was thinking a little longer bar than 16' to help reach in limbing.

I have been doing more research and I feel an 18" bar is best for my needs and if I need smaller I am looking at the 241 for that. This being said I would like to go 3/8x.063 to match the other chain. Some say don't put a 3/8 on an unmodified saw but I have heard it's fine with a stock one. If I modify it what should be done and what does this typically cost to do?

In regards to the bar should I go Tsumura lightweight or a Cannon bar? Figure $ is not an issue as I am looking for quality.

I have been doing more research and I feel an 18" bar is best for my needs and if I need smaller I am looking at the 241 for that. This being said I would like to go 3/8x.063 to match the other chain. Some say don't put a 3/8 on an unmodified saw but I have heard it's fine with a stock one. If I modify it what should be done and what does this typically cost to do?

In regards to the bar should I go Tsumura lightweight or a Cannon bar? Figure $ is not an issue as I am looking for quality.

For limbing, the Tsumura lightweight bar. The Cannon is top quality, but heavy. Personally I'd run .325 (or 3/8 lol pro) for limbing, regardless if the saw is modified or not. 3/8 is just too grabby.

You'll get great gains from a muffler mod and timing advance, which will cost you an hour or two with a Dremel and a file. A woods port job typically costs $250-350 plus shipping (unless you live close to someone). My 261 is ported and it's absolutely my go to saw. Light, fun, snappy, m-tronic, great air filter, captive bar nuts, torque enough for bucking fair sized firewood, good AV, and parts while overpriced are available on main street. Not cheap, but a great saw.

I have a 3/8, 16” bar on my stock 261. It loses a little speed to the .325 but the trade off for me is I don’t need to change wheels to grind the cutters.

I’m about to acquire another grinder so this will be a moot point, but I still like the bigger cutters on the 3/8 chain.

Back