picked up a 288xp...I have a problem.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ale

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
well, like many of you have warned...the addiction has set in....
I picked up my second saw today...a Husqvarna 288xp I got it from the orginal owner who said he bought it new in 1989. It seems to be in really great shape too. I have a ms460 that I've been real happy with but I decided to pick up this Husky because it's like the one my Dad ran for years and it brings back some memories I guess.
I look foward to learning more about it and getting it tuned up to cut some serious wood. Where is a good source for Husky parts that I may need? Also, what kind of bar and chain specs. do you guys suggest for this saw? Are there some parts that may need special attention with this model?

That looks good

Just check it out first. pull the muffler check for scoring, check for spark, clean or replace the air filter, fuel lines and fuel filter, FRESH fuel, and if all looks well see if it'll fire up. You might have to prime it with MIX, not ether. A carb kit will be probably all you'll need. Someone with knowledge of this saw will chime in with any faults, or weakness in it. You were warned of the addiction, to late now.

Great saw. I had a later one, it was a high top one. No problems that I know of, just go cut wood. Mine was Walkerized, and it pulled a 36" bar.

Just check it out first. pull the muffler check for scoring, check for spark, clean or replace the air filter, fuel lines and fuel filter, FRESH fuel, and if all looks well see if it'll fire up. You might have to prime it with MIX, not ether. A carb kit will be probably all you'll need. Someone with knowledge of this saw will chime in with any faults, or weakness in it. You were warned of the addiction, to late now.

Wiring and two piece ignition can be a problem....The 288's are not air injected...Check to see if the AV mounts are all springs or if they were changed to rubber mounts...

I have had no problems getting parts for the three I own from my local dealer...I have 32" on one ,24" one one and 16" on the other one.

Last edited:
24"

Bailey's has a lot of parts for it. And I would recommend a 24" bar, of oregon powermatch or GB Titanium.:greenchainsaw:

well, like many of you have warned...the addiction has set in....
I picked up my second saw today...a Husqvarna 288xp I got it from the orginal owner who said he bought it new in 1989. It seems to be in really great shape too. I have a ms460 that I've been real happy with but I decided to pick up this Husky because it's like the one my Dad ran for years and it brings back some memories I guess.
I look foward to learning more about it and getting it tuned up to cut some serious wood. Where is a good source for Husky parts that I may need? Also, what kind of bar and chain specs. do you guys suggest for this saw? Are there some parts that may need special attention with this model?

That is a real beauty!....looks new...I think you lucked out..

I think I would put that baby up on the shelf.... I have not seen a used one in that good of condition..

Find one that that look used and make it your work saw...

The guy said he bought it right after Hurricane Hugo came along in Sept. '89...The storm blew over a big oak in his yard and he used it to do the job. Other than that, he says he only ran it a couple a times since. I was a little worried that it may have problems from lack of use...but I filled it up with some fresh mix and after about 6 pulls it fired right up. The idle needs adj. and the starter rope seemed to bing a little but so far so good.

With a new Husqvarna bar that baby would look like it just came out of the showroom.

Last edited:
I picked up my second saw today...a Husqvarna 288xp

I'd say that you picked up a "solution", not a "problem.:hmm3grin2orange:

Give it to me!

fix a 8pin sproket and a 20" bar and have fun.
My one is not in this good condition. The IPL you can get on
the Husqvarna-website.
And say: No saws for hire!
Cheers vincent

NICE SAW ! ! ! Your lucky to find one in that good condition, most of them I see are trashed..... I'd like to find one in that condition! Those 288s are awesome saws

288 is our rental saw at our shop- wish someone could kill it so we could get something else! Other than that great saws!!!:givebeer:

Great saws, I sold the two of mine to uninformed because I really did not have a use for them at the time, now I really wish I had NEVER sold them. I will soon be looking for another one. Want to sell me yours, just kidding, nice find!

That is a real beauty!....looks new...I think you lucked out..

Yes, definitely one of the older ones (1989 sounds about right), but looks really nice!

I find it likely that it was not made in 1989, probably 1988 if bought in 1989............

What is the first four digits of the serial number?

Last edited:
sn: 0060476
Good eye, I looked closer at the orginal manual and it has 1988 on it. Which years were these saws produced. If mine is an early one...is there a difference between it and a later model? What's the hp rating?

sn: 0060476
Good eye, I looked closer at the orginal manual and it has 1988 on it. Which years were these saws produced. If mine is an early one...is there a difference between it and a later model? What's the hp rating?

That number actually indicates that it was made 1990, week 6. :confused:

As far as I remember, they were rated at 6.1hp/4.5kW trough the entire production, which ran about 1988-2003 in Sweden for Western Europe and North America, but continued for other markets, probably in Brazil......

Look here !

The starter cover were changed early in the 1990s, and I believe the high filter cover became more usual in later production - I don't know all the details......

The reason I said 1989 is unlikely, is that Huskys 300 years anniversary logo is not present, and it should be if it was made that year.

Last edited:
attachment.php

Troll I know they make a high cover and HD filter... Mine are all low ones... Have never seen the high on a 288 yet.......There are plenty of the 288's in my area...

Now you have me thinking I need one..LOL

Back