picked up a 288xp...I have a problem.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachment.php

Troll I know they make a high cover and HD filter... Mine are all low ones... Have never seen the high on a 288 yet.......There are plenty of the 288's in my area...

Now you have me thinking I need one..LOL

You can see one in the link in my post above (CSCC)......

I haven't seen a nice pretty 288 in years, nice score.

Run a 28" bar on it, then you don't have to bend over so much.

You can see one in the link in my post above (CSCC)......

That's one of my 281/288's. That was bought as a kit with the filter/cover/intake elbow (one part #). It came with a plug in the decomp hole for old and new versions. But I have other high top's with no hole. I never knew if it could have been ordered that way or if it was a dealer installed option.

It seems the starter assy. is binding and needs replaced. anyone have a good working used one?

attachment.php

Troll I know they make a high cover and HD filter... Mine are all low ones... Have never seen the high on a 288 yet.......There are plenty of the 288's in my area...

Now you have me thinking I need one..LOL

I had a high top one, wish I never sold it, was a dam fast saw, it was Walkerized to boot. It really gave me a kick everytime I ran it. Was generally beat up, but ran sweet.

Here is a pic.

attachment.php

Nice find

Dude, that is a super nice find. First thing I'd do is get the 360 wrap handle like on mine from Bailey's. It's about $80, and well worth it... I run a 20/24/28" bar on mine, it handles them all equally well. With the 24/28" bars I notice the chains tend to loosen up and it doesn't put out enough oil for my tastes though... Other than that, what a great saw it is. I wouldn't sell or trade mine for ANY other saw period. IMO the 288 is the best saw husky has EVER produced, everything since then has been a little downhill for them. I've heard that with a woods mod it really will scare ya...

:cheers: eh?

Ummmmm

Heck, just running a Husky period means you won't have to bend over so much! :greenchainsaw:

Chances are if you bought a newer husky you already bent over at least once, lmfao... Isn't that enough?

:jawdrop:

Oh yes I did just go there, heheheheheheheheheheheee

attachment.php

This is my XP lite after it got hit by a log........:) :) ......Bent handle bar was only real damage.......

That is a newer one - notise the different starter cover......

Do you know the real difference between the Lite and the others?

(Just trying to collect info - LOL)

Last edited:
the 288 is my favourite all time saw(means nothing though, just that i like them heaps)

i have 3, 1 is almost brand new... the other 2 are being rebuilt

i have trolled(no pun intended) ebay ALOT for these saws, all the high top ones i saw except the 1 i bought, were from canada... never seen another high top on USA ebay

i did see one(low top) beautifull example with a bow saw attachment, i think it was a 2001 model, still had bar code stickers on handles... was very very clean.. but dude wouldnt ship to OZ : ( sucked ass

starters can be had on ebay easy
search 288
then find a ebay store(cgbailey) etc easy as
or rebuild the one u have, pretty easy... i did both of mine, now good as new.. spring was a bit fiddley but got it in the end
cheers, serg

That is a newer one - notise the different starter cover......

Do you know the real difference between the Lite and the others?

(Just trying to collect info - LOL)

Starter cover and age of saw........I have two 288XP's and this 288XP lite....

The difference is one of my 288's has a billet head and a pipe.....:cheers: :cheers:

Are husky bars sub-standard to say oregon...I'd like to get a new 24'' for this 288 but I can't find who carries them online. Husky dealer is a little far from the house and they don't have a great reputation so I'd like to go elsewhere. The stihl dealer is 300 yds from my house though, and real good guys. Go figure.

maybe I'm blind but I can't find them on Bailey's website...I'll look again. thanks

maybe I'm blind but I can't find them on Bailey's website...I'll look again. thanks

Judt look through all of the 24" bars. They are the ones with HU in the number. Bailey's has GB titanium, oregon powermatch, windsor speedtip, woodsmanpro bars for it.:greenchainsaw:

Back