Picked up a Cheap 272xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whitty21

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This showed up on kijiji today and an hour after it posted I picked it up. They wanted $80 for it. It started, so I asked no questions and gave it to them. Good deal around here.
20160213_172414[1].jpg 20160213_172351.jpg
As I kind of expected, compression was low. Just over 100psi. Tore into it and it has some decent scoring on the exhaust side, intake is mint. It has had a rough life by the looks of it, and suffers from some hardware store boltitus. The chainbrake lever is about to fall off and there is at least 1 av mount gone, likely two. On the bright side, I have 2.5 husqy 61's floating around, so I should be able to rob some stuff. Will be ordering a meteor piston kit sometime in the future, this crappy canadian dollar is hurting me right now though. The muffler isnt there in the pictures, but I do have it.
20160213_170151.jpg 20160213_170205.jpg
Also looks like what I believe is called a roller pin? that fits behind the bar plate is missing and it leaks oil out of there pretty hardcore. Do these just thread in? never had to deal with one before...
20160213_172153.jpg

Attachments

• 20160213_170216.jpg
    20160213_170216.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 61
QUOTE="Whitty21, post: 5759120, member: 136351"]Also looks like what I believe is called a roller pin? that fits behind the bar plate is missing and it leaks oil out of there pretty hardcore. Do these just thread in? never had to deal with one before...[/QUOTE]
It is like a roll pin but on the inside of the oil tank there is a hard plastic tube that attaches to it and the other end of the tube sits above the oil cap on the inside. If you are lucky, it is still inside your oil tank. It presses in, no screwing.

It is like a roll pin but on the inside of the oil tank there is a hard plastic tube that attaches to it and the other end of the tube sits above the oil cap on the inside. If you are lucky, it is still inside your oil tank. It presses in, no screwing.

Thanks for the info. I took a look in the oil tank, seems to be gonnzo. Do they press in from the inside or the outside? Guess I should order one up. Still not sure if I am going to use this set of cases right away or not. But for what it seems to be a couple bucks it is worth I may as well add it to the next order.

You suck! I hope the barrel cleans up well so you get a good runner.
Not that I need it but I've been after a 272 for awhile now. Your lucky I've been slipping on the Kijiji browsing. Lol.

Price out an OEM rebuild kit from one of our stateside dealers. With the latest drop in OEM pistons and cylinders they're about on par with meteor.

Price out an OEM rebuild kit from one of our stateside dealers. With the latest drop in OEM pistons and cylinders they're about on par with meteor.

Not with the bad dollar right now. Going to try and salvage this cylinder first. I have cleaned up worse

Not that it matters much, but I think your adjusting screw ass'y is put together wrong.

I believe the little nylon square goes up near the head of the screw, fits in that small groove.

Nice buy.

Not that it matters much, but I think your adjusting screw ass'y is put together wrong.

I believe the little nylon square goes up near the head of the screw, fits in that small groove.

Nice buy.
Yeah I noticed that too. Least of my worries right now

Latest posts

Back