Picked up a Tach today..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Inadvertanely got the enitre day off work due to being a witness for the defense in a case involving two of my ex employers. So knowing I wasnt going to be able to make it back to work, I figured Id stop off by the saw shop, pick up a couple chains and shoot the ****....

I asked him if he had any new or used tachs for sale, and what could he get ahold of. He said BRB, and brings me a Stihl EDT2 that he said hes had since he opened his shop. Told me it hasnt worked in awhile, probably just needs new batteries. Turns out thats all it needed.

So my 361 is turning 11,600 and my 660 is turning 10,500. I know the 361 is low in the RPMS, and the 660 is low because I run it rich in the mill.

What are the recommended RPM settings for both of these?

Also, Im assuming the tach is functioning properly. Do these tachs ever go haywire? Or when they go bad they just stop working?

CaseyForrest said:
Well, I know the MAX RPM has been discussed, but Iver never seen the recommended RPM mentioned.

Trying to trick me... hmmm...:monkey:

That is the recommend WOT SETTING.... The spec is +/- 1000 rpm, so setting it to the max recommend give you the 1000 buffer..

There is no "recommended USE rpm" as the saw is an intermittent use device with variable load. You "set" it by load. Stay in the power band... and in the higher end.

Of course, as I've said in a few other threads, WOT settings are just going to get you a rough approximation of the correct mixture... good enough, unless you're racing, and capped for safety. You can wind your 361 over 15.5-> 16k in a heartbeat, but wear body armor.. just in case, and open your wallet if you run it that way often.

Lakeside53 said:
Trying to trick me... hmmm...:monkey:

That is the recommend WOT SETTING.... The spec is +/- 1000 rpm, so setting it to the max recommend give you the 1000 buffer..

There is no "recommended USE rpm" as the saw is an intermittent use device with variable load. You "set" it by load. Stay in the power band... and in the higher end.

Of course, as I've said in a few other threads, WOT settings are just going to get you a rough approximation of the correct mixture... good enough, unless you're racing, and capped for safety. You can wind your 361 over 15.5-> 16k in a heartbeat, but wear body armor.. just in case, and open your wallet if you run it that way often.

Theres no pulling one over on you is there?!! :rock:

In all seriousness, thanks again Lake.

Hey, as for the dependability of the EDT2, is there a chance that the tach would give a false reading? Or is it when they go bad, they just stop working?

computeruser said:
Funny, I was going to go down there to see about ordering a tach either tomorrow or friday. If only I'd gone this morning...

I asked about the new ones, seems most of the Stihl tachs are right around $100.

CaseyForrest said:
Theres no pulling one over on you is there?!! :rock:

In all seriousness, thanks again Lake.

Hey, as for the dependability of the EDT2, is there a chance that the tach would give a false reading? Or is it when they go bad, they just stop working?

A truly paranoid person would use three tachs...:D

Nope.. never seen one read bad... just works or doesn't. Can't vouch for the EDT2 though...

High tech?

What ever happened to the burbling,or gargling sound with then just a slight turn?Just kidding,now if they do blow you don't have to spend the money on a hearing check!Enjoy the tach.

314epw said:
What ever happened to the burbling,or gargling sound with then just a slight turn?Just kidding,now if they do blow you don't have to spend the money on a hearing check!Enjoy the tach.

Case in point, my 361 is running correctly, by ear.

But turning 2500 rpm less than it should be.

Thanks!!

computeruser said:
Funny, I was going to go down there to see about ordering a tach either tomorrow or friday. If only I'd gone this morning...

No need to now just visit CF.:biggrinbounce2:

CaseyForrest said:
Case in point, my 361 is running correctly, by ear.

But turning 2500 rpm less than it should be.

Thanks!!

Ears don't work on the newer "leaner" running saw, from anyone...

lakeside,so true on any newer saws,they don't compare to the old torquer saws,those were easy to adjust.
the new saws need to be set using the factory recommended procedures for that brand and model saw.

Pt15b2

Just got one from Ill for $24 with free shipping. Only thing it dont have that I wish it had was recall of highest rpm. But I just got it to check my settings that I do by ear also.

Sparks once per rev
Large 7 segment LCD display
Low cost and small size
No power required
Solid state electronics
Quartz crystal
Wide operating temperature range
High reliability
Indicates operation in RPMs and hours
Factory set 1, 2, 4, cycle engine, or hour meter only
Easy to install.
Made in the U.S.A.
ENM is proud to present the new series PT15 self-powered digital tach/maintenance/hour meter. The PT15 keeps track of true engine RPM and running time for all types of gasoline engines. The unit is powered by an internal lithium battery. No external power connections are required. The Operation of the tach/hour meter is triggered by 5.5 ft. shielded and external lead, wrapped around the spark plug wire of the engine since the unit is triggered by the spark of the engine, the hours and the RPM display actual operation. This is useful for maintenance and warranty applications for any type of engine powered machinery.

Specifications

Operating Battery Life Internal Lithium Battery 8 years plus non-replaceable

Operating Temperature Standard: -10 to +60 °C

Vibration resistance @ 1 to 8 Gs. Withstands 10 to 75 Hz

Wire Length 5.5 ft.

link?

Cut4fun, do you have a link for that tach?
thanks,
Ed

Back