Picked up new Kombi 130 - No Flippy cap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob R

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Picked up my new KM 130 R and attachments today and was surprised to see a large Screw on gas cap instead of a flippy cap.
I like the flippy caps on my MS 261 so had mixed feelings when I first saw the screw on cap. But when I removed the cap and saw how Large the fuel opening was, I was won over - it reminded me of the large mouths on the keg shaped bottles of beer they used to sell years ago. The opening made it easy to fuel and be able to see the level in the tank.

The 130 is amazingly powerful, but yet easy and FUN to use.

I also bought the bristle broom, blower, and trimmer with cutting blade, spent a tank full of fuel playing with/testing them, and all are outstanding. My wife quickly noticed the blown out garage, swept driveway and sidewalks, and the tall grass and brush that was trimmed at the edge of the back yard. Good thing I told her I was buying this, or I would have been busted big time!

It's spendy, but I wish I had done this years ago.

My dealer also told me about a gas station in town that has started selling ethanol free 91 octane gas - so today was a great day.

I know readers here like pictures. I've never posted a picture before, but if someone gives me detailed / simple (if that's posible) directions on how to do this with a Droid Razer phone, I'll give it a try.

Bob R.

My 2011 KM130R has a flippy cap. It also has a flippy cap on the HT KM oil resivour.

Last edited:
Pic on website shows same cap as my cut-off saw.

130.png

That picture appears to be a FS250-FS550. The engine pictured is old school, non stratified, two cycle. Definitely not 4-mix of the KM90-KM130.

If you have to replace the fuel tank on that engine series, you get the newer, non flippy style tank, and cannot get the flippy type. I am
sure as soon as the warehouses run out of stock on the flippy cap style, they will all have the screw on style.

View attachment 252717

I posted a thread, has to be almost a year ago about the 90/110/130 non flippy cap deal...:msp_wink:

Flippy

My KM-130R has the screw on type cap. I actually like the flippy caps, but I don't get why some Stihl gear continues to have them while others are getting rid of them. My Stihl hedger had a recall on the flippy cap, and I got a brand new one (Cap) from my dealer.

^^^^ Recall applies to flippy fuel cap only, and only on certain motors (hedgers, kombis, trimmers, etc); pop it off, and if there's a D (rather than an E) molded into it, it's part of the recall. And guess what it's about? It's because gaso with "some additives" such as ALCOHOL can deform the plastic that the D caps are made of.....

I Emailed Stihl, since the flippys on my MS280 and MS192 have the D, and asked why the chainsaw caps aren't part of the recall. They didn't say why, but they said if you bring a D cap in from whatever tool, the dealer will replace it.

Even last year the pic's in the catalog showed no flippy caps on some models of the 4-mix trimmers.

Picked up my new KM 130 R and attachments today and was surprised to see a large Screw on gas cap instead of a flippy cap.
Bob R.

I just bought a KM 130R for my brother with a Pole Saw, Extension and weedeater, it also has the screw in fuel cap, where as, my 5ish year old model has the flippy cap (no problems ever). That said, I put AV 100 LL with synthetic mix oil at 50:1 and started it up and it was running very rich, as in I can't even make my older one "4stroke" like that rich, so I figure I would just use my little orange screwdriver to clean it up a little and low and behold ............. there isn't a flat screwdriver slot in the H or L screws, its a hex head or hex shaped adjusterment screw for the H and L, and a traditional slotted screw for the Idle screw.

Its a very little hex screw at that.

When are the little, freebie, orange, hex adjustment screws coming out for it, LOL?

The water drops are from stepping outside the shop into the rain ......not spilled gas or other "fluids".

Sam

Last edited:
nice trimmer

Your gonna love that trimmer. I picked an FS130r this year and have been impressed with its power. Never tried the 250(it must be a real beast). The circular saw blades stihl sells are very nice as well.

Back