picking up a stihl 261 tomorrow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
an?qus

an?qus

Addicted to ArboristSite
pix will be up when my wife gets home. she's buying football food for tomorrow, GOD love her.

well i did not get the arctic, they didn't have one and i just couldn't wait.

got the 20" bar with 3/8. when you set the saw down on a flat surface it rocks forward a bit but in my hands it feels good with that much bar.

yes my wife, Jenn, is in line for some special treatment for sure. just gotta figure out what to do for her or get for her. honestly she wants her own saw, maybe i'll get her that 026 PRO in the classifieds?

I've gotten saws for anniversaries and Christmas! Just got the Wild Thing for Christmas, but I've got another 21st birthday coming up this month!! I'm glad you didn't get the yuppie saw :laugh:. Reminds me of the heated seats in the Volvo to keep your butt warm while you drive!

All seriousness aside, we're really happy for you and hope the saw is everything you need it to be and more!

an?qus

an?qus

Addicted to ArboristSite
here's a pic. was gonna post more but i figured you guys have all seen a 261 before.

214530d1325401951-stihl-261-jpg

214531d1325402461-product-reg-261-jpg

214532d1325402462-261-product-reg-jpg

Now we want to see it in your hands with some chips flyin'!!

stihl waters

stihl waters

ArboristSite Operative
I'm guessing that those of you who seem to have a problem with heated handles don't run saws in cold weather very often. You use one day after day in the wet & cold and I expect most of you would have a change of heart. Most of you who spoke against them prob. have never run a saw in those conditions regularly . The slight difference in cost & weight is a bargain, I'll gladly carry that bit of extra weight through the warm weather in exchange for the comfort come winter. I'm hardly a yuppie, unless being a faller the last 28 of my 30 working years makes me one !!

David (saltas)

David (saltas)

Addicted to ArboristSite
David, thanks man! you're just full of all kinds of great info.

i don't have a tach, though i know i should, but this 261 sounds like it's running much slower than my 026. granted my 026 is muff modded and turned up maybe a hair too much. like i said i have no tach but if i had to guess i'd say this 261 sounds like i'm getting around 12,000 maybe 12,500 at WOT.

i did ask the tech to turn it a bit rich so maybe that's what the problem is. also this thing doesn't 4 stroke anything like my 026, or 044. maybe that's due to it being a strato?

The strato does four stroke but It is not as obvious a sound difference as a conventional saw
The difference is harder to tell on a stock strato saw , It is easier to hear on one with a muff mod.
Listen to the video of brads, when you can hear it then listen to the video of stihlmann441. both have muff mods but it is easier to hear in brads as it is wot out of the cut for a longer time. (not making any comment on the operators technique) :)

These strattos take some time to work out how to tune them,strongly recommend you get a tach for tuning.
With my dual port muff its best about 13800 to 13900 rpm.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/177859.htm

My saw is set at 13600 and is a tad rich but It needs more hours on it before I move it to 13800. mine has a stock muffler with the screen out.

Question about the Hi limiter.... Can you slip the spline without first removing the Alloy? Also, to pull the Alloy limiter do you start a screw in then pry/pull it out? Thanks, mine won't four stroke at all and that aint cool....

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/173328.htm

All you need to know about the alloy limiter is in here.

There are at least three ways to do it

can you slip the spline with out first removing the alloy limiter, Yes.......However the female spline in the white plastic will be damaged by the male spline on the metal screw. This will not cause it to fail in the short term, but it is a bit crude

yes a dry wall screw will remove the die cast alloy limiter.

chopperfreak2k1

chopperfreak2k1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Chopperfreak2k1, yeah i know, i'm ugly
Roger.jpg

Damien, my crazy 12 yr old
Damien.jpg

Roger, my work horse 15 yr old
Roge.jpg

Roger doing his Leatherface impression
CrazyRoge.jpg

Roger and Summer, Summer is Roger's girlfriend
RogeandSummer.jpg

just a little FYI, Roger and Damien combine to form "The Wrecking Crew"

Last edited:
chopperfreak2k1

chopperfreak2k1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Summer, Jenn said she looked like a lumberjack with that red shirt on so we just had to have her pose as well. i told her it would be like glamour shots but not gay. LOL
Summer.jpg

Summer2.jpg

Jenn, my dear, sweet wife who encourages most of my addictions
Jenn.jpg

Jenn doing her Leatherface impression
CrazyJenn.jpg

Last edited:
blsnelling
These strattos take some time to work out how to tune them,strongly recommend you get a tach for tuning.
With my dual port muff its best about 13800 to 13900 rpm.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/177859.htm

True. They require a very lean L setting to get good throttle response.

Mod the muffler, advance the ignition, retune the carb, and you'll have a very fine running saw. Once you get into porting, standard methods don't generate the gains that are possible. I documented the porting mods I made to mine in late 2010.

chopperfreak2k1

chopperfreak2k1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Ruthann, i'll get some action pix but i want to get a tach first cuz i'm not comfortable with how the saw sounds and don't wanna risk anything going wrong.

i got these other pix put up at the urging of some fellow members. maybe tomorrow i'll get some pix up of the Stihl schwag i came home with?

Brad that is one SERIOUSLY impressive 50cc saw my man!!

Last edited:
chopperfreak2k1

chopperfreak2k1

Addicted to ArboristSite
True. They require a very lean L setting to get good throttle response.

Mod the muffler, advance the ignition, retune the carb, and you'll have a very fine running saw. Once you get into porting, standard methods don't generate the gains that are possible. I documented the porting mods I made to mine in late 2010.

here it is- http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/153482.htm

fantastic read!

chopperfreak2k1

chopperfreak2k1

Addicted to ArboristSite
I've gotten saws for anniversaries and Christmas! Just got the Wild Thing for Christmas, but I've got another 21st birthday coming up this month!! I'm glad you didn't get the yuppie saw :laugh:. Reminds me of the heated seats in the Volvo to keep your butt warm while you drive!

yeah the guys talked me out of the arctic. honestly i'd like to have one but the fellas from my region showed me i didn't NEED it. and there was no way i was waiting!! LOL

an?qus

an?qus

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'm guessing that those of you who seem to have a problem with heated handles don't run saws in cold weather very often. You use one day after day in the wet & cold and I expect most of you would have a change of heart. Most of you who spoke against them prob. have never run a saw in those conditions regularly . The slight difference in cost & weight is a bargain, I'll gladly carry that bit of extra weight through the warm weather in exchange for the comfort come winter. I'm hardly a yuppie, unless being a faller the last 28 of my 30 working years makes me one !!

I was just razzin' him! This doesn't look much like a family of yuppies to me!! Believe me, I'd have a heated saw if I was out there enough...and especially if I lived in NS, CA!! I had two Volvos with heated seats!! It was kind of a joke to call myself a yuppie too! :laugh:

Chopperfreak2k1, yeah i know, i'm ugly
Roger.jpg

Not ugly! You kiddin' me?? Enthusiastic, maybe!

Damien, my crazy 12 yr old
Roger, my work horse 15 yr old
Roger doing his Leatherface impression
Roger and Summer, Summer is Roger's girlfriend
just a little FYI, Roger and Damien combine to form "The Wrecking Crew"

Summer, Jenn said she looked like a lumberjack with that red shirt on so we just had to have her pose as well. i told her it would be like glamour shots but not gay. LOL

Definitely not gay, but SWEET!
Summer2.jpg

Jenn, my dear, sweet wife who encourages most of my addictions
Jenn.jpg

that's real decent of you, thank you!

i tried to do this all in one post but the apostrophe (spelling) above the "e" in you screen name prevented it. how do you do that?!?!?

I usually just copy and paste it. I used to know how to do it with keyboard code, but now it's just easier to Google Spanish accent or diacritical marks. I thought you could just use a regular 'e.' :confused: Sorry about that.

an?qus

an?qus

Addicted to ArboristSite
Ruthann, i'll get some action pix but i want to get a tach first cuz i'm not comfortable with how the saw sounds and don't wanna risk anything going wrong.

i got these other pix put up at the urging of some fellow members. maybe tomorrow i'll get some pix up of the Stihl schwag i came home with?

Brad that is one SERIOUSLY impressive 50cc saw my man!!

You got some good ones so far! Yeah, you want to keep that thing perfect!

It's a bit of a mystery to me, how you can truly share in the joy of things like you getting this saw with someone you've never even met!

Duane(Pa)
Two jets & idle speed. There are lots of pix in bsnelling thread about 261. I backed out the alloy limiter cap around 3/16" and slipped my high needle in the spline. (used a 2mm allen)Opened it about a full turn from factory rich possition. Now it will four stroke and there is enough adjustment in the limit range to dial it in. So it is still limited, just in a range that won't melt it down. Awesome saw-seriously!

lone wolf
Two jets & idle speed. There are lots of pix in bsnelling thread about 261. I backed out the alloy limiter cap around 3/16" and slipped my high needle in the spline. (used a 2mm allen)Opened it about a full turn from factory rich possition. Now it will four stroke and there is enough adjustment in the limit range to dial it in. So it is still limited, just in a range that won't melt it down. Awesome saw-seriously!

A full turn?

Latest posts