Pics from Above

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
snag pics ?

Why does looking at yer snag pics make me dizzy ? Is that the way you left the spar ?Make for a lively conversation piece while playing croquet out back this summer.

Nice effect on the snag, streyken......I like how mine end up, but yours looks very good.....Some other things that I do are rough up the trunk a bit, maybe even make some marks to simulate a lightning strike....and of course I always fashion a cavity for birds to nest in...and sometimes a bat "house"

Snags are left all the time here on municipal land. Left to decay and for the birds to hammer at, usually at heights of 15' - 25' depending on targets. Reduces the amount of wood you have to deal with in tight locations and saves the municipalities a bit of money. Been leaving snags for over 16 years, there are thousands of them around here. I live within a 2 minute walk of over 30! :laugh:

Here are some just out my back-door: Other Snags or "Wildlife Trees"

Cool stuff, strip and chunk, my favorite thing, climbing that is. Nice view from up there. I cut a couple of trees down in N.V. once, but those treehuggers are crazy now, remember that bs about the highway, eagle ridge or whatever it was? Crying about second or third growth skank, not even worth putting on a truck, couldn't believe it. That is the best wildlife tree ever, I have made a few but nothing close to that.

...and sometimes a bat "house"

We do this on the taller ones. Apparently here the bats won't use anything under 30'. Don't know if it's true, but that's what we've been told. Usually do the bird thing on those in the green-belts. Got any pics?

I cut a couple of trees down in N.V. once, but those treehuggers are crazy now, ...
HAHA, tell me about it, I've been threatened with pelet guns, people laying under the tree, etc. One lady lay under her landlords piece of crap mistletoe infested hemlock and my partner landed a 20' long 4" diameter branch about three feet from her head - she moved.:clap:

That is the best wildlife tree ever, I have made a few but nothing close to that.

Thanks Ray, it's funny how after so many years, all you have to do is see a snag and you know who cut the tree down; everyone has their own unique way of doing them.

awesome pics

how do the firs...cut..??

i go to college in Northern California and have a job in the fall to cut down a few but i live in San Diego (Southern Cali) and dont deal with them normally

they look like climbing telphone poles...

anything really special need to know or watch out for??

I know the wood is soft...and i am on a hill side

Cool stuff, strip and chunk, my favorite thing, climbing that is. Nice view from up there. I cut a couple of trees down in N.V. once, but those treehuggers are crazy now, remember that bs about the highway, eagle ridge or whatever it was? Crying about second or third growth skank, not even worth putting on a truck, couldn't believe it. That is the best wildlife tree ever, I have made a few but nothing close to that.

yea theres a few yuppies here, in the end those bluffs were logged, blasted and paved

Douglas-fir properties (via varieties) can vary from area to area. Here on the coast the large branches will often "pop" off as soon as you touch the top of the branch with your saw or put much weight on them. So if you're thinning you have to take care that one branch doesn't land on the one below it and so on or you could end up clearing one side of the tree. In the interior this characteristic isn't as pronounced.

Ok cool...

i know for these looking at them, none of the side branches are too big...i want to say most are in the 3-4 inch range...but we are taking them all down. Almost all the tops will have too be taken down then the tree dropped because of their height.

Back