Egan straight shot muffler on a 462cm?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteMike

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone here has experience running an Egan on a 462cm. I typically cut Douglas fir, western larch and hemlock. My 462 was bogging down when cutting the butt end of a large Douglas fir. Someone mentioned Egan, people seem to rave about them. Want to hear more input. I’m not a professional forester. I cut firewood and maintain my property

Wondering if anyone here has experience running an Egan on a 462cm. I typically cut Douglas fir, western larch and hemlock. My 462 was bogging down when cutting the butt end of a large Douglas fir. Someone mentioned Egan, people seem to rave about them. Want to hear more input. I’m not a professional forester. I cut firewood and maintain my property
They all work well. Egans are the most cost effective if you don’t want to do your own dual port mod. Those mufflers are easy to do.
they are all noisier :p

Just curious, why are you thinking a new, opened up muffler will aid in the bogging you're experiencing?

Just curious, why are you thinking a new, opened up muffler will aid in the bogging you're experiencing?

Maybe bogging was the wrong word. Not trying to fix a carburetor fuel/air mixture bog, the saw just didn’t have enough ass to cut through the timber and would struggle when trying to bury it. Was thinking this would give it more more torque like it claims

Maybe bogging was the wrong word. Not trying to fix a carburetor fuel/air mixture bog, the saw just didn’t have enough ass to cut through the timber and would struggle when trying to bury it. Was thinking this would give it more more torque like it claims
Muffler mod helps the saw breathe better and does improve performance but don't expect it to run like a ported saw. Egan says 10% increase which might be a stretch.

Are you keeping the chain sharp? The saw should pull itself through the cut. No need to push it. If it won't pull itself the chain is dull and/or rakers are not correct height.

Sometimes even a sharp chain and properly set depths will still bog in big cuts/fully buried. It helps a lot to clear the kerf of debris every few seconds if you notice it bogs.

I'd say make sure everything else is tip top before shelling out for a fancy new muffler.

Back