Pics of my Stihl muffler mod on an 024

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawn Masters

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Heres some pics of my mod on an 024 muffler. I have two different covers that I can use, one that is clearly modded, the other, looks 100% stock from the outside, and allows use of the spark arrestor screen.

Let me know what y'all think about em.

That's about how easy a muffler mod is. Although the 024 was built before the EPA started requiring emissions standards, so gains were probably minimal. Good pictures though, thanks for posting them.

LM, take the ported muffler on the right and cover about half of the top of the hole. The saw will run better. Now if the saw is ported I'll just keep my thoughts to myself. It's a been there done that comment.

That's a good observation Mike. I know how plugs are supposed to look if its running lean or rich, etc. Are you suggesting that mufflers have a similar appearance for rich and lean? Tom

ccicora said:
LM, take the ported muffler on the right and cover about half of the top of the hole. The saw will run better. Now if the saw is ported I'll just keep my thoughts to myself. It's a been there done that comment.

I did the same to my 026, should I close it up a bit? I can't really compare before/after cause the first thing i did was chop up the muffler...do I need a little more back pressure than I have now?

port

Had an 026 today with fixed jet and 3/8 exhaust outlet. After carb kit, was still too rich on high side. Two 5/16 holes, above and below, and the saw ran PERFECT under load.
Anything more may be overkill on a stock cylinder. Also from the been there, done that file.

This is one I got awhile ago, and have just been playing with a little bit. kinda my tinkering saw so to speak. if I need more $$$ I'm going to sell it, but thats later on.

rahtreelimbs said:
A little oil rich?
I was thinking rich on the high speed jet. As Stihltech points out, opening the muffler leans the saw out. Perhaps the reason it was running rich was the screen got a little clogged, which then richens it, and clogs it more.
Lawn Master can just open up the high speed jet now, if it even needs it, to compensate for the holes he made. I don't think the 024s had fixed jets.
Once tuned, it should run a lot better than it was. I hate running a saw that's set to rich.

Latest posts

Back