Pile 'o wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeguy347

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just some pics of sawing some logs from trees from a recent windstorm. It's nice having a zero waste operation, nothing going to the dump.

The start of the stack of lumber for 6-8 weeks of air-drying before entering the kiln. Still have to restack the big pile behind it. We didn't get a chance to sticker it, had to get the trailer back for more lumber!

Wow... nice pics, nice Woodmizer mill ($$$$), nice stash of wood. I've had some oak that went from wet off the log to 15-20% MC in just 8 weeks of air drying. I guess that really cuts down on the kiln time when you air dry it that long first?

Thanks for the pics

Thanks! I just wish the mill were mine :) It's a friend's LT40 Super Hydraulic. Fast, and all you have to do by hand with the log is roll it to the mill. Our average cost per board foot doing quartersawn 1x6s is about 15-17 cents :D We got some really nice wood out of this batch, it should dry up well, I haven't put a meter on it yet, should be doing that tomorrow.

treeguy347 said:
The start of the stack of lumber for 6-8 weeks of air-drying before entering the kiln. Still have to restack the big pile behind it. We didn't get a chance to sticker it, had to get the trailer back for more lumber!

I see you have a lot more logs in the background of this pic. Will you be milling those also?

We'll be milling everything that doesn't make the metal detector beep. They're mostly all yard trees. There's been surprisingly little iron lately. Out of the last 20 or so logs there's only been one nail. Just a lot of carpenter ants in some recent beech, but still beautiful lumber once the cavities have been sawn out.

treeguy347 said:
We'll be milling everything that doesn't make the metal detector beep. They're mostly all yard trees. There's been surprisingly little iron lately. Out of the last 20 or so logs there's only been one nail. Just a lot of carpenter ants in some recent beech, but still beautiful lumber once the cavities have been sawn out.

How much of your lumber has bugholes? I've seen a lot of creative uses for stuff like that that turns out beautiful.

Last edited:
Adrpk said:
Nice pics treeguy. You make it look so easy. Where's the fun?

Thanks! It's all fun :) Never gets old discovering what lies within a log. Aggie, we run into very little bug problems. One beech log and one maple log had places where branches broke off and never healed fully and the carpenter ants made homes. Just turned a couple of 8' boards into 5s or 6s. A lot of times we've had really cool features as a result of bugs, but these areas were pretty badly rotten.

I had 4' x 3' a stack of 8' 2x4's in a barn get infested with carpenter ants once. I after my anger cooled down from the loss of that much material, I was fascinated by the network of tunnels they had bored out. I wish I had thought about using them for something before they went into the burn pile.

cost

What does machine like that cost?Can you make money,or is it a hobby?

Latest posts

Back